Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 AM

960 posts, read 751,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Indeed. This tradition started during WW1 and that war has been over for a long time. Should they play that annoying song before every movie, concert, etc.?
Annoying song, wow, what an idiot. Get the hell out of my country

Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,224,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Keep these athletes in the locker room so they don't even have to listen to the National anthem as by now sports fans are disgusted by the overpaid drama queens!

Lock them in the locker room and have a respectful National Anthem!

If any BLM or other signs or words are uttered that don't belong on the sports field then remove these players so we can go back to what most people love.

The Love of the game!

Athletes are NOT roll models but what now seems to be overpaid whiners!
Its just getting plain silly now.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 AM

210 posts, read 98,474 times
Quote:
Let's see when advertisers/ sponsors negotiate the next season

How well will these sports bars and restaurants do after athletes kneel for the American Anthem and stand with hands on their heart for English national anthem!
Making more money than ever, I think they'll be alright because most people complaining are like my in laws. ***** and moan all week about it but on Sunday you know exactly where they will be.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,661,645 times
I've got Sunday Ticket this year for the first time in a decade. Money well spent.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 AM

9,634 posts, read 6,050,626 times
Quote:
Keep these athletes in the locker room so they don't even have to listen to the National anthem as by now sports fans are disgusted by the overpaid drama queens!

Lock them in the locker room and have a respectful National Anthem!

If any BLM or other signs or words are uttered that don't belong on the sports field then remove these players so we can go back to what most people love.

The Love of the game!

Athletes are NOT roll models but what now seems to be overpaid whiners!
You're just jealous that they're overpaid whiners, instead of just starting threads with whining.

Don't like it? Don't support them by watching. Nobody is making you watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would say that coach Belichick of the Patriots would not stand for this nonsense.
If he had a player take a knee during the anthem it is a guarantee that he would have that player take a seat on the bench for the game.
He once sat out a guy who was late for practice even though the guy had set a record for rushing yards the week before.

If I was the owner or coach I would tell my players that if they wanted to protest on their time they are free to do so but at games and practice you are on the clock and being paid very well to do a job.

The anthem is less than 2 minutes long and that time should be used to sing along or quietly reflect on our great country that allows so many to fulfill their dreams while others have paid the ultimate price to keep it Free.
See...

This post is much more constructive. It respects everybody's rights. It's up to the owners/coaches. Of which there are none here.

If I were one I'd say just that. But I'm not. Their fields. Their teams. Their rules.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:01 AM

8,503 posts, read 4,609,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If you think football fans who support the American flag and anthem are "non majority", you have a rude awakening in store.

My term for non majority was to the non plurality of people that supported him and elected him president via the electoral college.

As for the protests during the anthem (which I am not a big personal fan of but feel it is within their rights), Trump's insertion into the issue will make protesting the anthem MORE frequent and MORE acceptable.

Trump should just have made a comment that he did not agree with the anthem protest and left it at that. He however went much further (petty insults, demanding firings, and threats of a boycott) and has managed to even more politicize the issue.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:02 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,120,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I wonder what the "athletes should just stick to sports" crowd would have to say about J.J. Watt raising over 30$ million for Harvey relief efforts. That's certainly not just sticking to sports.

I'm sure their answer will be filled with hypocrisy, per the usual.
And JJ Watt did that on his own time, didn't he? Your statement is the one filled with hypocrisy, because JJ Watt was not protesting anything. Only if you like to see people suffer, would you dislike what Watt did. Is that how you feel?

Old 09-24-2017, 09:03 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,412,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Ya think? I think Kraft is a shrewd businessman who invests millions of dollars in his black players to make many more millions in television revenue. He did what he had to do to protect his business interests... Trump understands that completely.

I like Buck Sexton's comment -

Democrat media is about to spend a whole weekend defending multimillionaire athletes who disrespect our flag

Gosh I wonder why Trump won

BTW, is anyone else wondering why Trump decided to poke this particular hornet's nest to divert national attention.
Because Trump voters don't understand the exercise of rights like protesting. That is why someone like Trump won. Because "patriotic" Americans really don't believe in free speech and protesting unless its something they agree with. They don't see their own hypocrisy.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:03 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,070,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just don't play the anthem. Do any of you play it before you start work every day?
Anyway its up to the NFL, not anyone on here or Trump.
Exactly......take the pulpit away from these spoiled multi- millionaires and by doing so rob the media from using it as fodder for ratings or they're own agenda.

I was always of the opinion that the NFL should make it mandatory that all employees must stand for the anthem as part of the "show"...I believe the NBA does so and if a player refuses they can face consequences up to and including termination for violating workplace rules. The same should be instituted in the NFL as work rule......but....doing away with it entirely is probably the best option at this point.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:04 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,412,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes we are so they can keep kneeling and we can protest by not watching, not going to games, not buying the advertiser's product, not giving to the player's charity, not buying anything with the team logo, not buying anything the players endorse, booing them...
Please do. We need examples to archive for future generations about the opposition Americans met when they protested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies