Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:10 AM

1,196 posts, read 839,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Ouch. They got Kaepernicked

Kaepernick Effect? Falling ratings force NFL TV networks to give back free ads | NFL | Sporting News

League of Denial: How #BoycottNFL vigilantes are targeting NFL TV ratings | NFL | Sporting News

Old 09-22-2017, 11:20 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,568,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Maybe watching thugs and criminals giving each other brain injuries isn't as much fun as it used to be. Who knows?
Arrests for all types of infractions are lower for NFL players than men in general in the United States.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...g-nfl-players/

Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,568,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
NFL is getting hit on both sides: Right Wing people tuning out due to Anthem kneelers and Left Wing people turning out due to the health consequences on the players. Remember that boxing was once wildly popular and is now a niche sport.
But MMA took its place. What killed boxing was putting all of their best fights on pay-per-view. It priced the casual fan out of the sport. Also, potentially good fighters saw the money that could be increasingly gained in other sports and went to those instead.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:29 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Then as somebody said earlier, they really didn't care all that much about it. I love animals and didn't miss a game once Michael Vick was let back in the league. I don't understand people at all who drop something they really like due to politics. I drink Yuengling when I'm back home and have Chik-fil-a for breakfast when I can - - I'm a diehard Democrat. Their politics isn't going to stop me from buying their products.
Sort of like me. I love going to Starbucks every chance I get. But yet I'm a Republican and Pro-Trump person too, while Starbucks appears to be a very democrat liberal operation.

But I will boycott the football scene because there is a very big difference. People at Starbucks is just making a living doing what they do, where as football players make millions upon millions just to play a half dozen or so games per year. Football players also have a lot more influence on society compared to those who just work their tail off to survive working at Starbucks.

So that's why I will continue to bring my business to liberal democrat businesses but continue to boycott football and such.

Furthermore, Starbucks' liberal democrat ideology doesn't change the way their products taste. Whereas football incorporating politics into the game changes the entertainment.

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-22-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 11:30 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
So while some of you know or someone of you don't care he is the reason the NFL is having a crappy season so far. Loss in seating money, ratings and over all interest in the game.

1. It can't be popular forever. Every game and sport has its ups and downs.
2. Political activism in the NFL. From the talk radio, to the espn news to the players siting for the national anthem. Fans are tired of it all, and just go watch college football.
3. Over time the game has been torn down to safety, to over flag happy no plays ever stick.
4. You have the right to protest the American Flag but you dont have right to dance in the endzone?
Fine them for everything in that stadium.
Left-wing liberal urbanite here.

I can honestly say that not only do I not understand anything I'm hearing about the NFL. I still have no idea what's happening with Kaepernick, I think his name is.

All of this was news to me, as someone who is only vaguely aware that football exists. And trying to find literally any context to understand it is impossible, as an outsider.

I need an article to break this down for me, as someone who could not be less interested in sportsball.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
I just don't like/care about seeing people punch each other? Same concept with wrestling.
Wrestling is just a show. Boxing is the real deal.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Well the 49ers game was about half full yesterday?
Probably not all do to politics, but still it is crazy, look at the empty seats.
Where was that game played at? If in the bay area, I'd be willing to bet that had they still been playing out at the stick, there would have been way more people in attendance. I'm almost sure of it. That new 49 stadium in Santa Clara turned out to be a real turd all the way around for everyone. I have a friend who's family had owned a box for 30 plus years. When the new Santa Clara stadium went up, the prices of the boxes became astronomical compared to what they used to be. For that reason, they did not renew when the new stadium was built. Not only that, if you own seats and you wish to sell them for a game, you really can't because they don't send out the tickets unit a day or so before each game. I knew people in the past who owned seats and they were griping over how they can't really sell tickets on stubhub and places like that anymore like they used to. And then the stadium is burning hot in the sun.

All that boils down to low ticket sales, along with other negative factors such as a lot of people tired of the political bs brought into the game.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:45 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Sort of like me. I love going to Starbucks every chance I get. But yet I'm a Republican and Pro-Trump person too, while Starbucks appears to be a very democrat liberal operation.

But I will boycott the football scene because there is a very big difference. People at Starbucks is just making a living doing what they do, where as football players make millions upon millions just to play a half dozen or so games per year. Football players also have a lot more influence on society compared to those who just work their tail off to survive working at Starbucks.

So that's why I will continue to bring my business to liberal democrat businesses but continue to boycott football and such.
ehh, your argument isn't solid.

While some athletes make millions you also have vendors and such who make the same amount as a starbucks employee.

and Starbucks makes Billions every year just like the NFL.

NFL players also play a minimum of 16 games every year.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

I can honestly say that not only do I not understand anything I'm hearing about the NFL. I still have no idea what's happening with Kaepernick, I think his name is.

All of this was news to me, as someone who is only vaguely aware that football exists. And trying to find literally any context to understand it is impossible, as an outsider.

I need an article to break this down for me, as someone who could not be less interested in sportsball.
have you heard of google?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Why...did you write this post? It is USELESS ..it adds nothing to the thread. This is truly saying something for the sake of saying it. Now we have 2 useless posts as mine adds nothing to the thread either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies