Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
I think the number one is that the NFL has over saturated itself.

The Thursday night game is a downright travesty. No team is ready to play on three days rest. The product sucks. The Monday night game is usually a dud as well.

There are also only a handful of good teams, that other fans get sick of seeing all the time. The Sunday night primetime game, the main fox game, and the main cbs game will guaranteed have the Packers, Cowboys, Pats, Broncos, and Giants every single time.

NFL needs to be like college and broadcast all the games on at the same time throughout the day. That is the real solution. Then if the Jets are getting killed, I could switch to another interesting game, instead of simply turning the TV off and doing something more enjoyable on my sunday.

The referring is also atrocious, and College is such a more enjoyable product.

I think the politics has very little to do with it imo. Politics are killing ESPN, but I dont see it in terms of the NFL.
The Giants?

When the last time they won a Super Bowl.

I watched Atlanta the other night and they looked like world beaters and I am a Redskin fan.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:39 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The NFL has a problem when you talk to ten people and they all have ten different yet valid reasons why they don't watch NFL games anymore.

Here in the NYC area the NFL is marketing a mediocre product that is excruciating to watch. This is one of the biggest markets in the country yet the goal of the AFC East team is to lose every game they can so they have the top pick in the draft next year. The NFC East team is also 0-2 and you can only watch so many three and outs before you can't take it anymore.

Fan loyalty only goes so far when your teams suck. Like every season.
"Fan loyalty only goes so far when your teams suck. Like every season"

Not TRUE.

The redskins ALWAYS filled RFK stadium, even when the Redskins couldn't beat a high school team.

I used to watch Sonny score 35 points at Griffith Stadium before a packed house and LOSE!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:59 AM

46 posts, read 31,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The right seems to have a convenient scape goat for every problem that exists.
It's not a right or left thing; blaming others for everything is human condition.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The Giants?

When the last time they won a Super Bowl.

I watched Atlanta the other night and they looked like world beaters and I am a Redskin fan.
They have been to the super bowl three times and won it twice since the redskins went ,you might want to keep quiet.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
The problem is that they've politicized the game to the point where people are sick of seeing the same BS and crap they see all the time in the news and on TV.
These guys are athletes. They are there to physically perform. Not to think about social issues or make political statements. Entertainers are also better kept away from making fools of themselves thinking they have opinions that matter. They don't. Our politicians are barely able to make coherent statements about complex issues, and only do so because they're paid to. Athletes and entertainers are not even on that level.
And the players whine too much. About injuries and personal problems. For what they're paid, if they were told to jump off a second story roof or run into a brick wall, they had better do it.
But in their defense, they are athletes and not role models. If they don't commit crimes that land them in jail, then who cares and let them play. If they act like idiots then we can hate them and boo them when they play against our team.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
I have to agree with other posters, people who say they supposedly stopped watching the game, probably hardly ever watched and only keep up with the NFL through the news and social media. The NFL is getting bad press, and I will even admit tone def at times, but it is still the most popular sport in this country, and most cities would still do anything to get a pro team or host a Super Bowl. Hell, now cities are bidding to host the draft!!! That's right cities are wiling to cough up tons of money just to have a guy come up and read names of people who are getting drafted. And besides Football is really popular with Gamblers, it aint going anywhere in my lifetime anyway.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:02 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Boxing used to be a big whoop. It's on the wane.

We could blame it on Mohammad Ali taking stand on the Vietnam war. Or it could be some were sickened by watching men get Traumatic Brain Injuries.

That could be part of why football is on the wane. Watching people get TBIs sort of rubs some of us the wrong way.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,419 times
Casual watcher here.

Biggest issues
  • Ticket Prices - Having lived in both in Chicago and Denver, tickets were way too expensive to consider buying
  • Consistent outcome for games. Handful of good teams remain good year after year, the rest are mediocre or continue to suck. IMHO, it's hard to support a continual losing team. And although I grew up a Pats fan, it'd be nice if there were new teams getting big wins.
  • Too many fouls and rule changes. I don't follow the game much. But when I tune in and every year there's new rules and more fouls, it makes the thing less interesting. I'm all for safety, but some of the things ruin the game.
  • A lot of games aren't that exciting. Especially if you have a good team playing a bad team. Close games are fun to watch. When a team is getting beaten by 2+ touchdowns, I'll change the channel.
  • Teams switching cities. One of my college roommates was a STL Rams fan. Yeah, now he doesn't watch any NFL game anymore.
  • Weeknight games - Even if I could afford Broncos tickets, there's no way I'd be able to go on a weeknight. Games start too late for an early morning OR they start too early and it's hard to get to without taking a half day from work.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I have to agree with other posters, people who say they supposedly stopped watching the game, probably hardly ever watched and only keep up with the NFL through the news and social media. The NFL is getting bad press, and I will even admit tone def at times, but it is still the most popular sport in this country, and most cities would still do anything to get a pro team or host a Super Bowl. Hell, now cities are bidding to host the draft!!! That's right cities are wiling to cough up tons of money just to have a guy come up and read names of people who are getting drafted. And besides Football is really popular with Gamblers, it aint going anywhere in my lifetime anyway.
This. Damn near everyone I know who says they aren't watching due to politics always admit they were never big fans to begin with.

I think it's mostly the storms that hurt the first few weeks ratings.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:31 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Casual watcher here.

Biggest issues
  • Ticket Prices - Having lived in both in Chicago and Denver, tickets were way too expensive to consider buying
  • Consistent outcome for games. Handful of good teams remain good year after year, the rest are mediocre or continue to suck. IMHO, it's hard to support a continual losing team. And although I grew up a Pats fan, it'd be nice if there were new teams getting big wins.
  • Too many fouls and rule changes. I don't follow the game much. But when I tune in and every year there's new rules and more fouls, it makes the thing less interesting. I'm all for safety, but some of the things ruin the game.
  • A lot of games aren't that exciting. Especially if you have a good team playing a bad team. Close games are fun to watch. When a team is getting beaten by 2+ touchdowns, I'll change the channel.
  • Teams switching cities. One of my college roommates was a STL Rams fan. Yeah, now he doesn't watch any NFL game anymore.
  • Weeknight games - Even if I could afford Broncos tickets, there's no way I'd be able to go on a weeknight. Games start too late for an early morning OR they start too early and it's hard to get to without taking a half day from work.
one problem with the 2TD channel flippers.. the NFL is figuring this out and making some terrible calls to try and keep the game competitive. That's also a turn off. Once a team is up by 2 scores the flags start flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies