Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What, exactly, is your point?
I'll repeat myself in hopes you'll actually read the post you are responding to. Is that too much to ask? Again My quote was to the poster on why it mattered to him that someone in a small town said something.

Quote:
You claimed in another post to find the man's comment repulsive,
Thank you for noticing.

Quote:
yet you also appear to believe it is so unimportant that no one should be concerned about it.
It's about why someone from a small town, who has no influence, matters.

Quote:
I'm not sure this is something you can have both ways.
You're the only one saying that based on something you made up.

If someone in leadership from a major party said it, that would have meaning. Fire Chief Mike doesn't matter in the scheme of things. Is he a pig? Yes Does he matter? No

We've all come together in outing Fire Chief Mike. Hip Hip hurray

Can I claim he has free speech? Or is the N word exempt from that? Special privileges you know.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:57 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
I like that.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:11 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Why are the protesters kneeling? Kneeling as an expression of reverence and submission.

Therefore, while our National Anthem is being played, the protesters are demonstrating that they revere our flag and country.
What a crock

Old 09-26-2017, 03:18 PM

882 posts, read 688,916 times
Default Moral compass question for those who claim they will no longer watch football.

I'm just curious how your moral compass works.

The NFL has had numerous domestic abuse issues involving wife/girlfriend beaters, a dog killer, multiple DUIs, players with illegal firearms, and players involved with killings, and yet you still watched football. And yet, if someone protests the national anthem, now you're so appalled you will no longer watch the games. Why?

Old 09-26-2017, 03:20 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Blame the media. Trumpism 101.
"Party of Personal Responsibility"

I'm seeing people on social media counter-protesting the "disrespectful" kneeling by showing off their flag t-shirts, bikinis, bandanas, etc.

I mean, wow, you can't make this up. Biggest hypocrites ever.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:27 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post

The NFL has had numerous domestic abuse issues involving wife/girlfriend beaters, a dog killer, multiple DUIs, players with illegal firearms, and players involved with killings, and yet you still watched football. And yet, if someone protests the national anthem, now you're so appalled you will no longer watch the games. Why?
I believe the studies showed comparing to the rest of the general population the crimes were at or below the same level.

Wade found that NFL players are actually are actually far less likely to engage in such criminal behavior than the national average for men of the same age. Moreover, while the number of NFL player criminal acts rose from 2004 through 2008, it has steadily fallen since (despite a slight increase in 2013). In fact, the 2014 season has (by far) the fewest numbers of player arrests, citations or criminal charges since the study began. Of those charges that did occur (2000-2014), DUIs are the most common problem.

Are NFL Players Really More Likely to Be Criminals? | HuffPost

Old 09-26-2017, 03:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I believe the studies showed comparing to the rest of the general population the crimes were at or below the same level.

Wade found that NFL players are actually are actually far less likely to engage in such criminal behavior than the national average for men of the same age. Moreover, while the number of NFL player criminal acts rose from 2004 through 2008, it has steadily fallen since (despite a slight increase in 2013). In fact, the 2014 season has (by far) the fewest numbers of player arrests, citations or criminal charges since the study began. Of those charges that did occur (2000-2014), DUIs are the most common problem.

Are NFL Players Really More Likely to Be Criminals? | HuffPost
Yep. All true. The NFL is far cleaner than it once was.

What I still don't get though, is why the NFL gets a bigger pass than the NBA when the NFL STILL has far more thuggery than basketball players in the NBA.

Same for hockey, which is crawling with goons.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
You need to respect the flag.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post

I think the thinking is: "you don't want me so im going to give you what you want... not me"

by me, I don't mean me because I don't fall into that category.... I do however think I have a good idea how these people feel...

These players have made a political statement that includes, if you don't understand and accept your a racist.

so those that don't understand and who have lived a life standing against racism are at the point where they are saying "what's the point?" Mostly folk just want a moment to watch a game and kind of put reality on hold. everyone has enough carp to deal with they don't want more.

but that's just my perception.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I'll repeat myself in hopes you'll actually read the post you are responding to. Is that too much to ask? Again My quote was to the poster on why it mattered to him that someone in a small town said something.

Thank you for noticing.

It's about why someone from a small town, who has no influence, matters.

You're the only one saying that based on something you made up.

If someone in leadership from a major party said it, that would have meaning. Fire Chief Mike doesn't matter in the scheme of things. Is he a pig? Yes Does he matter? No

We've all come together in outing Fire Chief Mike. Hip Hip hurray

Can I claim he has free speech? Or is the N word exempt from that? Special privileges you know.

I read the post. I understand your point. Understanding does not always imply agreement.

You think the guy is a pig. The person you seemed to be scolding for caring about his comments would probably agree with you, so what's the problem? It seems to me that you want to argue just for the sake of arguing.

"We" did not out Fire Chief Mike, BTW. He did that himself. Those people who say it's a good idea to be careful what you post on Facebook say it for a reason. As for his right to free speech, yes, he has it. He isn't going to be jailed for what he said - no one should be. However, actions have consequences, and he is now suffering for the consequences of his, just like college students who torpedo their job prospects by posting pictures of themselves half-dressed and in a drunken stupor. Facebook is NOT private, and it is especially not private if you work for the public. Fair? Perhaps not. True? Definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies