Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:34 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
They didn't need to use the football field as their soapbox. That is the point.

Their employees let them. Are you against employer rights?

Old 09-26-2017, 12:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It's not the players attacking fans free speech, it's "fans" attacking players rights to free speech.

Oh please.

Free speech has it's limitations and an employer can limit a person's right to remain on the payroll while practicing "free speech." If you don't believe that, try wearing a T-shirt with something offensive on it to work, or try telling your boss you think he's an idiot and you hope he dies of a heart attack tonight, and see how well that goes down. I mean - it's free speech - you ought to be able to practice it at the work place, right?

Oh, and I'd like to see the response of a commanding officer if my son in law in the Air Force just decided not to stand at attention during the national anthem. Heck, he can't even walk on base talking on his cell phone!

Free speech has it's limitations and the work place and employers can legally limit a person's free speech. Of course, the person can still practice that right - but they'll probably lose their job. Legally.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Their employees let them. Are you against employer rights?
The employers are the only ones who can stop their employees from doing this. After all the employees don't run the company the employers do. There is a reason why there is at will employment.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If someone that "really wasn't a fan" stops watching that's still someone that stopped watching.
That's right and whether or not someone considers my husband and me "real fans" doesn't matter. What does matter is that after 8 years in a row of subscribing to the NFL Sunday Ticket, going to games at the stadium in Dallas, buying NFL merchandise, etc. we are no longer buying any of these items. Yes, it's just a drop in the bucket but there are lots of those drops in the bucket. They add up. Even if it makes no difference to the NFL, it makes a difference to us - in our pockets as well as lined up with our conscience.

We feel good. And we enjoyed watching college football this past weekend and running around doing things together outdoors on Sunday.

We did watch Monday night football to see what the Cowboys and Cardinals did. Cowboys straddled the fence in our opinion but the Cardinals were a class act. Too bad that wasn't reversed - LOL.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:43 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
not really

pointing out that millionaires are politicizing sports and protesting over total lies and exaggeration isn't really Political correctness.
No, the OP is correct.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:44 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its not about political correctness... its about who generates the money for NFL and how not to upset them... if people stop watching NFL, it don't matter if the players generate money or not, they'd be fired for causing decrease revenue...

You are right. This is much more about the money that the US Gov't pays the NFL for paid patriotism than anything else. People are entitled to their opinions, and it's certainly valid if they are offended by the protests (I am not), but for this President who has crapped our our military (gold star families) on our war heros (McCain) and our SCOTUS (Sheriff Joe Pardon), he has no moral ground to speak.

This is a blend of Political Correctness, as the OP has suggested, and of money guiding the national conscience. Sad.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
The employers are the only ones who can stop their employees from doing this. After all the employees don't run the company the employers do. There is a reason why there is at will employment.

Did I say otherwise? No. Employers can run their company the way they see fit. I agreed with the courts saying the baker did not have to make a cake for the gay couple. I also agree that NFL owners have the right to allow a player to kneel during the anthem. And if customers want to boycott over it then have at it.

And I understand at will employment.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
Just don't disrespect our Flag and just don't disrespect our Country, especially at a time of honor, and people can then protest all they want.

It's as simple as that.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:48 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Just don't disrespect our Flag and just don't disrespect our Country, especially at a time of honor, and people can then protest all they want.

It's as simple as that.
So... free speech! As long as you don't say X or Y during Z, and of course Q is also out, don't even get me started on Q.

I say they can say or do whatever they want, they can be as disrespectful as they want, they can do it at any time and in any place they want, as long as they aren't hurting anyone else. The NFL can fire them if they want, and people can get pissed off and stop watching it if they want.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:49 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I thought Trump and his followers keep saying this has nothing to do with race?
Exactly what I was wondering too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies