Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:11 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Did the NFL stop anyone from protesting 5 slain officers? Special cleats or breast cancer awareness? I don't recall that
Yes. They weren't protesting the slain officers; it was in support of the police (if I understand correctly). The cleats I think they backed off on after public outrage.

links below....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ecal/88558768/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...rm-violations/

Old 09-25-2017, 05:14 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yes. They weren't protesting the slain officers; it was in support of the police (if I understand correctly). The cleats I think they backed off on after public outrage.

links below....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ecal/88558768/

If the NFL didn't stop protest on the topics which they didn't then you have made a poor comparison.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:16 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
did you even bother to read EVERYTHING i wrote, or just the first few words? my response was that trump should not go to the on his own, as that would get him in more hot water. i alsso said that the players and coaches should ask trump what direction they should take. i believe if the players and coaches asked trump to meet with them, he would take the meeting, but it has to be the players inviting him, not trump inviting the players.

I stopped when I read your "if he does it would be seen by some as the president pushing his view onto private citizens, and he would be excoriated for that." speculation and excuse making.

They were exercising their First Amendment rights and if the Snowflake in Chief takes issue with that it's up to him to start the conversation. And no, I'm not defending them, I think they're going about it wrong, but it's their right to do so.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
If the NFL didn't stop protest on the topics which they didn't then you have made a poor comparison.
You are completely missing it. They weren't protests. They were is SUPPORT of police officers (Dallas), the fallen on 9/11 (the cleats), and to bring awareness to breast cancer and domestic violence.

The NFL stopped all of those.

The Titans player wasn't fined for wearing cleats because he backed off on wearing them, after being threatened with the fine:

"Avery Williamson, a starting linebacker for the Tennessee team, hoped to wear a pair of specially-designed cleats at his team’s home opener Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings on the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but he backed off when a league rep vowed to fine him for violating the league’s uniform code."

Read the articles.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
You are completely missing it. They weren't protests. They were is SUPPORT of police officers (Dallas), the fallen on 9/11 (the cleats), and to bring awareness to breast cancer and domestic violence.

The NFL stopped all of those.

The Titans player wasn't fined for wearing cleats because he backed off on wearing them, after being threatened with the fine:

"Avery Williamson, a starting linebacker for the Tennessee team, hoped to wear a pair of specially-designed cleats at his team’s home opener Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings on the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but he backed off when a league rep vowed to fine him for violating the league’s uniform code."

Read the articles.

I'm aware of the issues you are talking about but they are unrelated to protesting hence my questioning, rephrasing were the players allowed to alter their uniform for this latest issue? No they weren't

Old 09-25-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I'm aware of the issues you are talking about but they are unrelated to protesting hence my questioning, rephrasing were the players allowed to alter their uniform for this latest issue? No they weren't
And again, you are missing the point.

The NFL is allowing players to make a political statement when it is anti-American.

They do not allow players to make a political statement when it is pro-American.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:27 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Guess we know what locker room talk actually is all about.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:28 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
The notion that protesting for fair and equal treatment by the cops is unAmerican is flat bizarre.

Sounds a lot like white supremacy BS.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:30 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:

The NFL is allowing players to make a political statement when it is anti-American.

They do not allow players to make a political statement when it is pro-American.
How was what they did anti American? It was exactly what America stands for, freedom!

Old 09-25-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:

False equivalence. The players could have protested before and they also wouldn't be allowed to alter their uniforms in support of the current cause. They weren't allowed to alter their uniforms before nor are they now. They could have protested silently before just as they are now. I'm not missing the point, you are either purposely or ignorantly conflating two issues as equivalents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies