Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What are you talking about? You think this is about black people "having things"??

I don't even know how you arrived at that conclusion.
You're the one who chose to argue with me about idiotic Colin saying blacks don't have the same opportunities.

If you can't answer my question, stop arguing. Or do as I ask: Name just one single thing I have the opportunity to have or achieve that a black person doesn't.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
What are you talking about? You think this is about black people "having things"??

I don't even know how you arrived at that conclusion.
Hard to say how Trump and is follower arrive any conclusion.

Lately, there's been this constant barrage about how protesting is un-American.

Where the hell did they get this idea?

Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Yeah, I get that.

Wrong symbol, wrong fan base, all done for the wrong reasons. Their entire premise is demonstrably false.
I've never seen a group waste so much media capital on a "cause" then what these players are doing.

I can't even say it's for the "wrong" reasons because I still have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That's the Democrat talking point of the day.

Trump has committed military and FEMA resources to them, and has said he is going to visit. What more is he supposed to do?
I'm watching news report and the governor is saying they need help right now. Some areas haven't even had search and rescue efforts yet.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-25-2017 at 07:07 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 06:45 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You're the one who chose to argue with me about idiotic Colin saying blacks don't have the same opportunities.

If you can't answer my question, stop arguing. Or do as I ask: Name just one single thing I have the opportunity to have or achieve that a black person doesn't.
1) I'm not "arguing". This is a conversation. Or at least, I thought it was.

2) I was merely questioning your post, which seemed to imply that these people are protesting specifically for themselves. I found this interpretation to be an odd one, and indicated to me that you actually misunderstood both their motivations and cause.

They are doing it for other people. Specifically, other black people who are less fortunate than them who may be victims of police brutality or mistreatment. As mentioned above, this concept is called empathy.

I have literally no idea where you are getting that this about black people having stuff.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:45 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
A better question to ask is why the anthem is even used at sporting events.

Boxing, horse racing, field and track, tennis, and many other sports never use the anthem, and for most of its existence, neither did baseball, football or basketball.

What's so patriotic about sports anyway? Games are just entertainment. Why not play the anthem before the start of every movie, video game, play or concert? Or before we sit down to a game of cards.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times
1861 in SC

Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Who's disrespecting the national anthem, whatever that means?

Old 09-25-2017, 06:51 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
It's a complicated issue, and I don't think either side of the present controversy has all the answers.

I was a student through most of the times of the last great rift in American society (essentially 1962-1975); old enough to have faced the Vietnam draft, but shielded by major physical issues. I was a college graduate in a "pragmatic" major (Business Administration) but I worked on the front lines in a blue-collar field. so I saw, heard. and understood much of the resentments against a war fought by the working class. But the fact that much of that resentment also came from an over-simplified "patriotism' which had it roots in the much-clearer moral justification of the Second World War; (and also, that the nature of armed conflict was changing in a way which would render land-based combat between massed forces obsolete, but as usual, the pentagon's bureaucracy was slow on the uptake).

I'm a life-long libertarian (small 'l' emphasized) who firmly believes that one can honor his/her nation, and the principles of its flexible, adaptable Constitution, while placing little trust in the machinery of its government and the seekers of power who constantly push to increase its potential for abuse, and to oversimplify, stereotype, and demonize anyone and anything which stands in opposition to them, and as such, I believe that the so-called "Social Justice" movement, and the people it seeks to recruit and manipulate are the greatest current threat to the well-crafted and well-tested system of law which has evolved over the past two and one-half centuries.

Over fifty years ago, in a pivotal election, the nation turned away from the unbridled conservatism of Barry Goldwater with the admonition: "Don't shoot from the hip"; and I believe the same rule was applied by many of us in choosing between two clearly-inferior options the last time around. But it was the entrenched (and highly condescending) power structure within the Beltway which many of us saw as the greater threat.

Simple love of country had little to do with this.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-25-2017 at 07:30 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 06:52 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Did you know that the music for the Star Spangled Banner was stolen from a British Drinking Song,
that sang the glory of wine? It mentioned Apollo and the other Gods of Mythology, in the lyrics.
Quote:
Believe it or not, a major push for the United States to adopt an official national anthem was partially spurred by Ripley’s Believe It or Not! On November 3, 1929 Ripley included in a cartoon the text, “Believe It or Not, America has no national anthem.” Momentum for an official anthem grew and, as stated above, on March 3, 1931 President Herbert Hoover officially signed a Congressional resolution into law making the Star Spangled Banner the United States’ national anthem.
Link
Quote:
The song sounds much different now than it did 200 years ago.
Francis Scott Key himself wouldn’t recognize today’s version of the national anthem. The song was originally intended for a group of people to sing together. Today “The Star-Spangled Banner” has become a complete soloist affair, and the pace and general tempo is often much slower.

Our national anthem exists because of a cartoon!
America didn’t have a national anthem until 1931—and it could have taken longer if not for a cartoon. In 1929, Robert Ripley published an item in his syndicated “Ripley’s Believe It or Not!” cartoon pointing out the fact that America did not have a national anthem. After Ripley received many letters of backlash, he told these upset patriots that their efforts would be better spent writing their congressmen. This led to a five-million-signature petition asking Congress for a national anthem. It worked. In 1931, President Herbert Hoover signed a law making “The Star-Spangled Banner” the official national anthem of the United States of America.
Read the rest from Readers Digest:

https://www.rd.com/culture/star-span...-anthem-facts/
Quote:
It did not become the national anthem until more than a century after it was written.
Along with “Hail Columbia” and “Yankee Doodle,” “The Star-Spangled Banner” was among the prevalent patriotic airs in the aftermath of the War of 1812. During the Civil War, “The Star-Spangled Banner” was an anthem for Union troops, and the song increased in popularity in the ensuing decades, which led to President Woodrow Wilson signing an executive order in 1916 designating it as “the national anthem of the United States” for all military ceremonies. On March 3, 1931, after 40 previous attempts failed, a measure passed Congress and was signed into law that formally designated “The Star-Spangled Banner” as the national anthem of the United States.
9 Things You May Not Know About
Here is an interesting article on why the Star-Spangled Banner is played at sporting events.
http://www.history.com/news/why-the-...porting-events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies