Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times

Advertisements

And one Trumper lets us know what the rest are thinking. Will Mr. Racist Fire Chief and the Trump cultists blame the blah people or himself for his upcoming job loss?

Does MAGA include being able to call people the n-word and still keep your job?

Old 09-26-2017, 12:28 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I thought Trump and his followers keep saying this has nothing to do with race?
Well most are clearly out of touch, so this isn't a surprise.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM

23,967 posts, read 15,063,270 times
GW Bush used to autograph them with some regularity. Nobody complained about that.

And it really pisses me off when some real agents stick little flags into the ground on Memorial day, Flag day or the 4th of July. Within 24 hours they are dragging on the ground, rained on and dog peed on. Not a word. I cannot remove them because they are on private property.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
And one Trumper lets us know what the rest are thinking. Will Mr. Racist Fire Chief and the Trump cultists blame the blah people or himself for his upcoming job loss?
A fire chief outside of Pittsburgh knows what 60 million Americans are thinking???

That's some next-level ESP going on there. Wow!

Old 09-26-2017, 12:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why? Because fans believe politics and protest have no place on the playing field?
How about the fans right to free speech?
Professional athletes do not get paid to voice/show their politics/opinions while on the clock in uniform.
This, exactly.

And hell, yes, I've been a fan for decades. I am a die hard Saints fan (gotta be diehard to remain a Saints fan - LOL), and my husband is a diehard Cowboys fan - we have been all our lives. But I'm sick to death of the NFL's greedy ways for starters ("Whodat, anyone?" What a fiasco that was during the Superbowl in 2010 - the stupid NFL trying to say they own that phrase...what on earth...) and the fact that until pretty recently, the NFL DIDN'T EVEN PAY TAXES. Their merchandise, tickets, etc are all ridiculously expensive and only getting more and more expensive all the time. The players are calling the shots, not the owners. And the players, for the most part, aren't known for the goodness of their character or the depth of their intellectual abilities.

So I've been becoming more and more jaded but was still hanging in there till this year's fiascos. This is where I draw the line. My dad flew many combat missions in Vietnam. My uncle was a POW in a German prison during WW2. My brother served in Beirut with the Marines. My ex husband served in combat in Iraq. My son and daughter and both sons in law deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, and one of my sons in law is deploying again in a few weeks. So while I've never served in active duty myself, we are a military family and a family of veterans.

We are also a multiracial family which includes African American, Hispanic, and Asian family members. Not once - NOT ONCE - has any family member of mine been "guilty of driving while black" or arrested or questioned in any inflammatory, inappropriate way by any member of law enforcement. Ever.

These spoiled multimillionaire football players and owners and the whole NFL franchise is so out of touch with a chunk of their fan base that it's ridiculous - and disgusting. They can all kiss my a$$.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:32 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ok, so "unity" -or police brutality - take your pick I guess.

Unity over what - police brutality? The NFL being "under attack?" "Free speech?" What?

I'm not playing dumb.
Ok. I believe it. You are not playing dumb.

Unfortunately that leaves only one inconvenient conclusion.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:33 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Kaepernick has contributed hundreds of thousands of dollars to different groups and has been a catalyst in improving community relations between law enforcement and the community in the Bay Area. He's donated over $700K to 24 different organizations.

Brandon Marshall, another prominent protester, has been working with the local community, mayor and police department to enact change.

They've done far more than those worthless Blue Lives Matter groups. Please do not be uneducated and spread ignorance.

They didn't need to use the football field as their soapbox. That is the point.

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
He's not sorry he said it, he's just sorry he got caught and that he no longer lives in a world where he could have gotten away with it.
Are you actually admitting that there has been progress on race relations in this country? I thought we were mired in the 1950s according to people like you and Colin Kaepernick.

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
A lot of them don't even know what they're mad about.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:34 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Its not about political correctness... its about who generates the money for NFL and how not to upset them... if people stop watching NFL, it don't matter if the players generate money or not, they'd be fired for causing decrease revenue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies