Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:49 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Did I say otherwise? No. Employers can run their company the way they see fit. I agreed with the courts saying the baker did not have to make a cake for the gay couple. I also agree that NFL owners have the right to allow a player to kneel during the anthem. And if customers want to boycott over it then have at it.

And I understand at will employment.
Actually:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Their employees let them. Are you against employer rights?

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
A lot of them don't even know what they're mad about.
IMO, they are angry at the fact that their bigotry and racism is no longer accepted as normal by mainstream society. That is the root of the appeal of MAGA for them. They want the world they remember back, a world where your boss would not fire you for calling people ni**ers. A world where gay people hid in the closet for their own safety. A world where the white male was unquestionably dominant. A world where women and minorities knew their place and happily kept their mouths shut and took their seats at the back of the bus.

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Actually:
Obviously a typo.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:51 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Tomlin is a class act. I hope this Fire Chief pays for his ignorance and arrogance.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:51 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Only a racist would automatically think it was about skin color.
Why else would the fire chief call someone the N word, if it wasn't about skin color? Do not push thast lie with me. Considering the lie you're trying to push, I would have to think that you agree with the fire chief.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ok. I believe it. You are not playing dumb.

Unfortunately that leaves only one inconvenient conclusion.
And you know what resorting to personal insults generally means in a discussion. Or maybe you don't. Who knows? Oh, I do.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:53 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
So... free speech! As long as you don't say X or Y during Z, and of course Q is also out, don't even get me started on Q.

I say they can say or do whatever they want, they can be as disrespectful as they want, they can do it at any time and in any place they want. The NFL can fire them if they want, and people can get pissed off and stop watching it if they want.
Free Speech is one thing.

Disrespect is another.

Now I'm not saying there needs to be a Law about it now, but, you know the rest...

Old 09-26-2017, 12:53 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I think the kneeling is a misguided attempt to bring attention to something but that something should not be in protest to the Flag and the Anthem.
If they don't like Trump then say that.
If they don't like bad cops beating up and or killing black people who commit crimes then say something.

What many Conservatives see are a bunch of guys that get paid piles of money to play a game that has no business stepping outside the realm of entertainment and into politics. Trump made a mistake by making it personal for these guys but I don't think in any way this has anything to do with being politically correct.

It is correct to admire and respect the country that has given you everything. I cannot think of too many countries in the world that would pay someone big money because they can run fast, throw and catch a ball and block someone from trying to run fast, catch or throw the ball.

What was really wrong in the PC world is how much Tim Tebow was criticized for taking a knee in prayer at the games but now the guys who take a knee are modern day Martin Luther Kings?

What is funny is that it is the same people who criticized Tebow who now hold up the kneelers as heroes?

It is like Love of God and Country are bad things.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:54 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Its a sporting event. Not a political rally.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Are you actually admitting that there has been progress on race relations in this country? I thought we were mired in the 1950s according to people like you and Colin Kaepernick.
Yes, someone can get fired for using the n-word if they are a public official. That is progress.

But if you are a black parent, you still can't send your son to the playground without wondering if he will get shot by a cop. So we still have a little way to go. You know, just a little....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies