Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:51 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Sorry, you cannot force me or many many others to see what they are doing as anything but disrespectful. There are many ways that they can respectfully say there are problems. Kneeling during the anthem is not one of them.
You are correct. No one can force you.

If you want to cancel your season tickets or your NFL subscription on TV, that is perfectly fine. Knock yourself out.

The thing is, we have a president who is now demanding that the NFL force players to do what he demands.

If you can't see how this is a problem, or how it is far more disrespectful of what the flag is supposed to represent than taking a knee ever was...I don't know what else can be said.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I understand that you will not allow your bigotry to see anything but what you want to see. Kneeling has never been anything other than respectful. You do not get to change that.
Kneeling for the anthem has never been deemed respectful. If the players thought it was respectful they wouldn't be doing it.

And what exactly is bigoted about thinking people should stand for the anthem? The racist card has been grossly overplayed to the point that it isn't even an insult anymore as it has lost all meaning.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:53 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Did tRump ever even play HS football?

Seems more like a pep club kind of guy.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Trump does not like to put the hand over the heart either, so I suppose that is why he approves others to violate that rule as well.
Trump is a loud mouthed idiot in many ways. But he's not the first President not to put his hand over his heart during the national anthem. (Nor is he the first idiot to be president, but I digress...)

Old 09-26-2017, 06:54 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Many players took a knee or sat during the anthem, while some entire teams remained in the locker rooms. Most fans disapproved of this and in my opinion, it's a "Spoiled" behavior.

You haven't actually explained what is spoiled about either action, is it that you disapprove of the action that makes them spoiled?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
He played baseball. The li-tard propaganda media rags don't even know what game they are reporting on.

It might be the only sport being played where a lib-tard tried to kill a conservative congressman. IDK

Last edited by phma; 09-26-2017 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Kneeling for the anthem has never been deemed respectful. If the players thought it was respectful they wouldn't be doing it.
You have some long historical standard in which to judge this? Kneeling has NEVER been considered disrespectful.

Quote:
And what exactly is bigoted about thinking people should stand for the anthem? The racist card has been grossly overplayed to the point that it isn't even an insult anymore as it has lost all meaning.
I will note again, I bet you were cussing at the television about the players kneeling while sitting on your couch.

Kneeling has NEVER been a sign of disrespect. You kneel when you pray. You kneel when approaching a king. You are saying "Here I am, I have something to say, please listen".

Old 09-26-2017, 07:04 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
So, no.

He never played football.

Doesn't seem the type.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:05 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Did tRump ever even play HS football?

Seems more like a pep club kind of guy.

Doubt it, he probably got his butt kicked every day after school by all the kids who hated him!

He did own a SUCKY football team for a short time. It was another of his FAILED business ventures!

Donald Trump’s Less-Than-Artful Failure in Pro Football
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/20/s...-football.html

Old 09-26-2017, 07:07 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
USA TODAY
Someone, please find Donald Trump a copy of the Constitution — preferably a simplified version with pictures and charts. Once he absorbs what it says, perhaps he will stop trying to tear it apart.

Trump is angry at athletes for exercising their right to speech; but his anger did not begin there. Last February, at a campaign rally in Texas, Donald Trump spoke of "open(ing) up libel laws." He never explained exactly what he meant but clearly is fed up with the First Amendment, which prohibits denying freedom of speech and the press.
Athletes and journalists are not his only targets. Last November, Trump suggested imprisoning people or revoking their citizenship if they burned an American flag. Never mind that the Supreme Court has already come down on the other side of that issue.
Trump fumbles 1st Amendment football

Trump is a disgusting Fascist!

I don't think Trump should have weighed in and if he did it should have been with tact and grace - things he lacks.

However, your post fumbles the Constitution. The 1st Amendment does not protect an NFL player from being let go over their speech while on the job.

Employers can and have fired people over what is constitutionally protected free speech. Liberals have on numerous occasions successfully demanded that someone get fired over constitutionally protected free speech that they disagreed with or found offensive.

P.S. Also there have ALWAYS been limits to free speech including libel laws and precedent that actually predate the Constitution.

P.P.S. When Obama, Bernie, and Hillary attacked, hinted at, or outright mentioned censoring talk radio, and other conservative outlets, did you scream fascist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies