Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

To football players.... Put your money where your mouth is! In other words, take the initiative and start addressing some of the problems in the inner cities that cheer you every week.

If it were not for the NBA and NFL, who of those football players would either be slingin drugs, gangbanging, bouncing at some inner city strip club or incarcerated. If more black kids would strive to be the next Dr Carson, Col. West, Herman Cain, Mia Love, Sheriff Clarke etc., the next great NFL running back, NBA slam-dunk champ this entire country would be much better off.

As would black America in general. But the poverty pimps like Barack Hussein Obama, Al Sharptron, Maxine Waters et al, would never want that to happen, as that would dry up their "taste" in those cash filled briefcases

Old 09-27-2017, 09:15 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Perhaps they were focused on playing football. You know, the actual thing in which they are experts and leaders.
This is exactly it. When I am at work I don't discuss things like religion or politics. I have seen so many people arguing over both that it almost came to punches being thrown. When I am at work I perform a task. If I want to get into political discussions I will do it on my own time. I am sure my employer appreciates that.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Politics means turning off fans and that means less people watching and that means less money for the players

Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
No, it is the players who are exercising free speech, is it not?

Trump can say what he wants, but words have consequences. Trump should think before he tweets.
so now trump has to couch his words? be careful os what he says? but its still ok for athletes to disrespect the flag and the country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Your choice is yours to make, whether I agree with it or not. However, back to the original comment (since we appear to be getting off track here). Why is this such a wedge issue and the other things mentioned were not?
for me personally, i dont want to deal with politics everywhere. but lets take this out of the sports arena and take it to a restaurant. are you willing to hear your server get political when you are ready to order or eat your food? or how about when you go to check into a hotel, is it ok for your desk clerk to launch into politically charged tirade? or you are checking out at the supermarket, is it ok if the cashier launches into an animal rights, and you should be a vegetarian because it is healthier for you speech? or when you go to the gas station and the attendant hits you with, cars should be eliminate because of the damage to the environment they cause?

do you want to be hit with politics every where you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
what's really crazy is most football players still deal with racism. I read a story about a guy who was traded to a new team who couldn't find housing in a GREAT neighborhood. They made up all types of excuses why they wouldn't sell a house to him.

When players drive home in their nice cars some are stopped simply because the car is too nice.

Aaron Rodgers had a great read about how he had no clue what some of his teammates endured once they were off the field.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Did the word have an "r" in it or was it the "a" version?
It's funny how one is acceptable and the other sets people's heads on fire. LOL.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
To football players.... Put your money where your mouth is! In other words, take the initiative and start addressing some of the problems in the inner cities that cheer you every week.
they do.. you just don't care to look and it's rarely front page news because feel good stories don't make the news.

If it bleeds, it leads.

There are hundred of players with charities and foundations who give back to the community.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
This is exactly it. When I am at work I don't discuss things like religion or politics. I have seen so many people arguing over both that it almost came to punches being thrown. When I am at work I perform a task. If I want to get into political discussions I will do it on my own time. I am sure my employer appreciates that.
That's what I don't understand. These guys are at their work / office and get political.

If we did this we'd get fired.

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
My biggest question about folks who are against kneeling for the anthem:

How can you say in one breathe that you are against kneeling because it is disrespectful to the troops and those who have fallen....

Yet you support Trump, a man who disrespected a POW in McCain. "I like people who weren't captured." That is unbelievably disrespectful, yet many Trump supporters cheered Trump when he said it.

Many Trump supporters take issue with football players silently and peacefully protesting a social issue that is important to them because they feel it disrespects the troops and fallen soldiers. But when Trump disrespects a POW for no reason at all other than to be cruel, Trump supporters don't have an issue with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Post of the day, and I will be waiting to see the excuses.
Still crickets....

Also, Trump supporters don't actually view it as "disrespect for the troops". It's simply a cover for the fact that they have a problem with what the athletes are protesting.

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
It would be morally acceptable anytime, however, in the example you gave, it would certainly have unpleasant consequences. I'm not sure why you would use the example of whether a slave should obey an order when discussing morality unless you are discussing the morality of slavery. It really doesn't apply in this case.
I am noting that the nation has NEVER really lived up to its proclamations. Should citizens fully stand up when the nation has not fully stood up for its proclamation? The flag is a symbol of something....but if the symbolism is not fully realized....then maybe the flag deserves a salute that falls short as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
they do.. you just don't care to look and it's rarely front page news because feel good stories don't make the news.

If it bleeds, it leads.

There are hundred of players with charities and foundations who give back to the community.
Why do they need an atta boy. Helping kids should be the best atta boy they get, NOTHING better! Instead they take something that many kids dream of doing and turn it into a political arena. And Politics means turning off fans and that means less people watching and that means less money for the players
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies