Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:00 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times

Advertisements

I have supported these protests and others. Kellerman is absolutely wrong here. In a free country you have the right to express yourself or not express yourself without getting ridiculed by others.

I doubt Kellerman knows what either might be doing behind the scenes.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:01 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
People would be just as ticked off if a team of white hockey players took a knee.
of course.
but then there'd be no opportunity to shriek 'racism!!!!!'

Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
Because it's easier to protest the NFL and get mad at the players than it is to understand and recognize their plight.

That and admitting it's not about the flag/anthem itself and therefore not a protest against our military would make them have to think about the situation and that makes some uncomfortable.

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
That said, the premise that people are outraged to the point of boycott because players kneeling during the national anthem is disrespectful to America or the military (or even the police) is absurd. America was founded on dissent and the flag is not a symbol for the armed forces or for law enforcement. If you think otherwise, you really do not understand the symbolism and message being sent by the players.
the flag is the symbol for the country. disrespect that symbol you disrespect the country imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Are you suggesting that the players are stopping play to deliver political rants to the audience? If not, then your analogies really miss the mark.
its more than just the players kneeling during the anthem. its the damned sportscasters injecting politics in their commentary, even during the game.

Quote:
Seeing players kneeling during the national anthem is more akin to you walking into a restaurant and hearing a host/hostess quietly and respectfully talking politics with a co-worker as you walk towards them and have them stop and immediately greet you as you approach. If that gets your feather's so ruffled, then so be it. Personally, although I could probably do without it, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Certainly, I don't know why it requires the leader of the free world to weigh in.
it is still injecting politics into the work place where customers can hear it. and that is why businesses have rules about things like that.

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That's because they don't trust you.

I'm a minority so I have befriended them in college..

they definite;y have strong words for the racism they receive/received from White America.
Is that an excuse to disrespect the National Anthem or the American Flag? No, it's not.

I'll tell you why I have zero sympathy. The Italians--my ancestors--had it HARDER than any of these immigrants and "minorities" today. We never complained like these immigrants today. Quite the contrary, Italian-Americans have always been known for American patriotism.

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Maybe he should have just called him a Nazi instead of saying what he did. That's obviously become acceptable in todays society.
This is a rare fair point.

Quote:
Yeah Tomlin doesn't want to wipe out a nation, but he did force his team to conform to his beliefs through intimidation and then condemned the one that didn't follow through with his threats.
From what I've read, Tomlin never condemned him. The stories were bogus B.S. The only actual words I've seen from him said that he had no reason to apologize.

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which NFL player did that?

Isaiah Crowell from the Cleveland Browns. He posted it, deleted it quick after a media firestorm, then apologized. Kept his job because the NFL is racist. Why shouldn't this firefighter be able to keep his job? Whats the difference?

http://cdn.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-c...ll-575x723.jpg

Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Do you really expect us to think that "awareness" has not and does not already exist prior to these overpaid and pampered millionaires sideline protests?
All of the kneeling that came after the washed up 49er QB's first few has become "me too" sheeple and "I hate Trump" statements.

I'm waiting for these guys to start wearing Anti-Faaa flag pins and spouting their nonsense...

I actually do think the actions have and continue to build awareness. It's hard to claim that it hasn't. It's comical for you to weigh in on who is overpaid, can I assume you too are overpaid?

Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Is that an excuse to disrespect the National Anthem or the American Flag? No, it's not.

I'll tell you why I have zero sympathy. The Italians--my ancestors--had it HARDER than any of these immigrants and "minorities" today. We never complained like these immigrants today. Quite the contrary, Italian-Americans have always been known for American patriotism.
Don't let good old facts get in your way of revisionist history

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ital..._Rights_League

Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
This outrage is due to the fact that the Black man is not being submissive to the White man. Notice how these same posters had no issue with White Supremacists screaming, "Jew will not replace us." No issue with that kind of protest but a Black man 'standing up' is not to be tolerated. The only good thing I can find out of this is that I now know what people of color have known all along.
Going to have to agree. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies