Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:34 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,920 times

Advertisements

I was involved in an incident on Saturday that caused me to consider how terrorism suspects should be treated. I am working on an article proposing a bus hub just west of Baltimore’s Charles Center Metro station. As part of the plan, I am proposing an underground concourse that would connect up to a similar concourse between the two entrances to the Metro station. The actual transit station turnstiles are a level down from the concourse. There is nothing on the concourse level – just tile floors and walls and a concrete ceiling. There were no other people on that level either.

Anyway, I wanted to check out how a similar concourse might work at the proposed bus hub next door. I erroneously though that the best way to find out would be to walk the concourse at the Metro station. Once I got to the other entrance, I rode the escalator up, and took the steps down, and walked back towards the entrance where I had originally entered. About 100 feet from the exit where I was going to leave a security guard hustled out of her booth (maybe 70 feet away) and yelled “Sir, Sir, Sir”. I stopped and turned towards her. She yelled (from that far away you really need raise your voice) “Are you lost?” I said “no” and started walking towards the exit. I guess that got her more upset so she added “I have been watching you. What are you doing? Whatever it is, I have my eyes on you.” Then she did the fingers pointing to her eyes, then to my eyes, etc. thing. Overall, she seemed pretty worked up about the whole thing. I picked up the pace and got out the door quickly before she could summon the police. She was too far away to keep me from getting out the door. One thing is for sure, I will never ride the Metro again – not a big deal since I have only ridden it 3 of 4 times anyway. The last thing I want to do is spend the night or weekend in Central Booking just for walking around.

Anyway, my friends believe that her handling of the situation was completely appropriate since most people don’t walk back and forth between the exits. Because of that, I clearly appeared to be up to no good. By the way, I never went anywhere near the turnstiles and I never stopped walking for more than a second the whole time. Also, there are absolutely no physical barriers or signage prohibiting walking on the concourse level. What do you think? Does Homeland Security justify all possible modes of harassment? Should I have been arrested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 06:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Just some punk wannabe trying to show off (her, not you) and net "the big one" that will never happen. Her response was way overblown and inappropriate. A complaint to the MTA would be in order.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:43 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I was involved in an incident on Saturday that caused me to consider how terrorism suspects should be treated. I am working on an article proposing a bus hub just west of Baltimore’s Charles Center Metro station. As part of the plan, I am proposing an underground concourse that would connect up to a similar concourse between the two entrances to the Metro station. The actual transit station turnstiles are a level down from the concourse. There is nothing on the concourse level – just tile floors and walls and a concrete ceiling. There were no other people on that level either.

Anyway, I wanted to check out how a similar concourse might work at the proposed bus hub next door. I erroneously though that the best way to find out would be to walk the concourse at the Metro station. Once I got to the other entrance, I rode the escalator up, and took the steps down, and walked back towards the entrance where I had originally entered. About 100 feet from the exit where I was going to leave a security guard hustled out of her booth (maybe 70 feet away) and yelled “Sir, Sir, Sir”. I stopped and turned towards her. She yelled (from that far away you really need raise your voice) “Are you lost?” I said “no” and started walking towards the exit. I guess that got her more upset so she added “I have been watching you. What are you doing? Whatever it is, I have my eyes on you.” Then she did the fingers pointing to her eyes, then to my eyes, etc. thing. Overall, she seemed pretty worked up about the whole thing. I picked up the pace and got out the door quickly before she could summon the police. She was too far away to keep me from getting out the door. One thing is for sure, I will never ride the Metro again – not a big deal since I have only ridden it 3 of 4 times anyway. The last thing I want to do is spend the night or weekend in Central Booking just for walking around.

Anyway, my friends believe that her handling of the situation was completely appropriate since most people don’t walk back and forth between the exits. Because of that, I clearly appeared to be up to no good. By the way, I never went anywhere near the turnstiles and I never stopped walking for more than a second the whole time. Also, there are absolutely no physical barriers or signage prohibiting walking on the concourse level. What do you think? Does Homeland Security justify all possible modes of harassment? Should I have been arrested?
You are certainly able to conduct yourself the way you did. However if you took one second to explain what you were doing it would have ended right then and there. No its not a requirement that you do so. However it really would have put you actions to bed. I get it. I know you don't have to. Personally if it were me I would explain it and keep on going my way.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:48 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
So you were acting suspiciously, walking around an empty corridor, back and forth for no apparent reason, lied to the Metro worker, then wonder why you were treated the way you were? If we see something suspicious, aren't we supposed to say something?

Old 07-31-2017, 06:50 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Just some punk wannabe trying to show off (her, not you) and net "the big one" that will never happen. Her response was way overblown and inappropriate. A complaint to the MTA would be in order.
The guard was doing what she is paid to do. Or would you prefer that folks in her position simply ignore suspicious activity? Grow the hell up. It's not all about you and your childish persecution complex. Seriously.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:01 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,120 times
It sounds like you should thank the security officer for being vigilant. You were basically scoping out the joint, that's what terrorists do before they plan an attack. As a courtesy you could have stopped for a second and just explained what you were doing. I would chalk it up as a lesson learned. Don't forget, security officers are people too.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:09 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,734,817 times
I think the security guard acted appropriately. Well except for the eye to eye finger pointing, that's just plain juvenile. Anyway I would have questioned you too if I were a security guard. That's why we pay them.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:16 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The guard was doing what she is paid to do. Or would you prefer that folks in her position simply ignore suspicious activity? Grow the hell up. It's not all about you and your childish persecution complex. Seriously.
Ok, tell me what crime he was committing then.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Are you black or Muslim/foreign looking? Was she?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:42 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
So you were acting suspiciously, walking around an empty corridor, back and forth for no apparent reason, lied to the Metro worker, then wonder why you were treated the way you were? If we see something suspicious, aren't we supposed to say something?
How was I lying to the the metro worker? She asked if I was lost and I said no. I wasn't lost - therefore I wasn't lying. How is that lying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies