Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:08 PM

817 posts, read 754,033 times

Advertisements

This makes for a strong, unified country. Like it used to be. You didn't dare act unamerican 20, 30+ years ago! You learned the language, and culture, and acted right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:14 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,115,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
This makes for a strong, unified country. Like it used to be. You didn't dare act unamerican 20, 30+ years ago! You learned the language, and culture, and acted right!
At least the immigrants work hard and seek to better themselves through higher education ... unlike the whiny Trump supporters waiting for their coal mines and widget factories to reopen.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:14 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,759,870 times
um, that's never the way it's been. in fact, that's absurd.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:16 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,759,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
At least the immigrants work hard and seek to better themselves through higher education ... unlike the whiny Trump supporters waiting for their coal mines and widget factories to reopen.
I thought all the immigrants did was work the jobs americans refuse to do. you need to get your absurd talking points straight.

12,566 posts, read 10,629,473 times
Quote:
Are you trying to compete with Fordtrucks and BentBow for most threads created in a day?

I know plenty of foreigners that didn't know the language 20 to 30 years ago. How does one act unAmerican besides language?

5,900 posts, read 3,907,952 times
Quote:
You were also probably smarter 20, 30+ years ago then you appear to be right now at this point in your life.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,912,529 times
Quote:
That's a load of BS.

My grandparents came to the US around 1910. None of the 4 of them ever spoke English other than a few words. My parents (one born on a farm, one born in a medium sized city) didn't learn English until they were registered for school.

All of my grandparents worked; one set was farmers; the other side was a coal miner and his wife wove rugs for sale.

My mother was age 13 when coal miner father died; she was oldest of 5 children, the youngest of whom was 6 months old. Social services came to my grandmother's house and threatened to take the youngest 2 kids into foster homes. My mother quit school and went to work in a silk mill (hard labor)....she and my grandmother had to convince their parish priest to alter her baptism certificate to show she was 14 years old, the age at which she could legally work. My mother made sure her 4 sibling finished high school (a big achievement in the 1930s). Two went to college, one started a successful business.

My father was youngest of large farm family. His oldest brother died in the Battle of the Bulge. They lost the family farm, my father went into the coal mines where he labored long and hard; he died of Black Lung at age 78, rather old for coal miners back in the days before safety equipment for their lungs, etc.

Even when I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, English was not the first language at my local stores, delis, churches.

Both my parents worked horrible back-braking jobs so their kids could do better. We all went to college, we all succeeded.

English is not, has never been the official language of the US, nor should it ever be. It takes a generation or two for immigrant families to achieve the American dream. It should not be denied to new arrivals who have not learned English.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:22 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,400,604 times
OP might have a point. All those Mexicans and Chinese with their Mexican and Chinese restaurants.
They should be making REAL American food like PIZZA!!!

Old 08-02-2017, 02:26 PM

68,340 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:

Oh? And just WHO would you think qualified to write the book about "Acting right!" and just WHAT is to be considered 'acting unamerican'?

Old 08-02-2017, 02:30 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,811,837 times
What does assimilate mean to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies