Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 04:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,690,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Animals don't even kill themselves out of depression.
Humans aren't the same as animals, in case you didn't know that.

I think calling suicide a weasel's way out of life is offensive and stupid to anyone with even a basic understanding of humanity. Anyone who blames a suicide victim for his or her situation is a despicable person, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,515,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, if op is indeed a suicide survivor ( those who lost loved ones to suicide) it seems like he stuck in the anger stage of his grief.

Like I said, I doubt he lost a loved one to suicide.
You've made yourself abundantly clear on this point.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:55 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
You've made yourself abundantly clear on this point.
That is right. I consider him lucky. I don't want anybody to experience what I have experienced.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:56 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,907,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Humans aren't the same as animals, in case you didn't know that.

I think calling suicide a weasel's way out of life is offensive and stupid to anyone with even a basic understanding of humanity. Anyone who blames a suicide victim for his or her situation is a despicable person, in my opinion.
It is sad what some think is political discourse.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:02 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,148,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
People:

If the particularly harsh tone of the title of this thread wasn't enough to ward off anybody sensitive to the subject of suicide, the first page should have given you a sign of things to come. If the content offends you then stop reading and participating in the thread. Being offended does not afford you a remedy.
Here is your original post.

Stop reading and participating in this thread if you are offended.

First of all, this is a forum where people post. What else would they be doing? Just killing time by reading other people's opinions? Of course they're going to respond. That's the very nature of a forum. I would think someone like you would already know that. Or maybe I'm mistaken and you actually don't know the actual purpose of a forum.

Second of all, this is a contradiction of what you just said in your latest post, no matter what you say. The OP offended several people by his post. (And BTW, this is posted in a controversies forum, therefore people will be offended. Hence the nature of the word controversy.) These people responded back by trying to defend their own opinion. You state that simply because they are offended they should not, or need not, reply. Then you say we should hear from everyone. That is a contradiction, no matter how you slice it.

You were wrong. Are you one of those people that can't admit it? It was an inane statement.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Here is your original post.

Stop reading and participating in this thread if you are offended.

First of all, this is a forum where people post. What else would they be doing? Just killing time by reading other people's opinions? Of course they're going to respond. That's the very nature of a forum. I would think someone like you would already know that. Or maybe I'm mistaken and you actually don't know the actual purpose of a forum.

Second of all, this is a contradiction of what you just said in your latest post, no matter what you say. The OP offended several people by his post. (And BTW, this is posted in a controversies forum, therefore people will be offended. Hence the nature of the word controversy.) These people responded back by trying to defend their own opinion. You state that simply because they are offended they should not, or need not, reply. Then you say we should hear from everyone. That is a contradiction, no matter how you slice it.

You were wrong. Are you one of those people that can't admit it? It was an inane statement.
You're right. I was contradictory. I see that now.

I hope my acknowledgement gives you some peace.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:18 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,219,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If you are laughing, I must have missed it. To me, your pain and anger are so palpable that I can hardly bear to read your words. I hope I am wrong, but if I am not, please, in the name of all that is holy, get some help. I've dealt with depression on and off for most of my adult life, but the one thing that has saved me was the fact that I've always believed that life can be beautiful, and that any inability to see it as such is part of my illness. If I ever lose that belief, I'm probably a goner.
I'm not suicidal(I'm over that), but everything I said was how I feel.

My "coping mechanism" isn't to imagine that the world is beautiful. Or that it could be beautiful. Rather, I think the world is rather stupid. It has always been stupid, and it always will be stupid. And the future seems bleak. Things are far more likely to get worse, than better.

But it isn't as if my life is hard, I'm not in pain.

The greatest realization I ever made, as it relates to my mental health, was to simply accept the fact that the world sucks, and that there is nothing that can be done about it. I don't expect anything better, so I'm never disappointed.

Quote:
"The basic fact about human existence is not that it is a tragedy, but that it is a bore. It is not so much a war as an endless standing in line. The objection to it is not that it is predominantly painful, but that it is lacking in sense." - H.L. Mencken
Quote:
"The truth was, that life was meaningless. Every day of life, every step in it, brought me, as it were, nearer the precipice, and I saw clearly that before me there was nothing but ruin. And to stop was impossible; to go back was impossible; and it was impossible to shut my eyes so as not to see that there was nothing before me but suffering and actual death, absolute annihilation..."

"I could not attribute a reasonable motive to any single act in my whole life. I was only astonished that I could not have realized this at the very beginning. All this had so long been known to me! Illness and death would come, if not to-day, then to-morrow, to those whom I loved, to myself, and nothing remains but stench and worms. All my acts, whatever I did, would sooner or later be forgotten, and I myself be nowhere. Why, then, busy one's self with anything? How could men fail to see this, and live?...It is possible to live only as long as life intoxicates us; as soon as we are sober again we see that it is all a delusion, and a stupid delusion! In this, indeed, there is nothing either ludicrous or amusing; it is only cruel and stupid!" - Leo Tolstoy

Old 08-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,630,065 times
I honestly would only commit suicide for economic reasons. I refuse to ever end up on the streets, I'd rather be dead than live in absolute poverty

Old 08-03-2017, 05:29 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,219,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I honestly would only commit suicide for economic reasons. I refuse to ever end up on the streets, I'd rather be dead than live in absolute poverty
Go spend some time with the homeless. You'll realize that it isn't so bad. And most of the people you meet, are usually smiling and optimistic about the future.

The main problem with living on the streets, is a lack of security, mixed with the fact that most homeless people are severally mentally-ill.

If you are a young man, in a warm climate, it can be rather fun. Though I wouldn't advise it for a girl. And it is better if you aren't pasty white(the South Florida sun is rough for a whitey).

The vast majority of humans, in all of of human history, have lived in "abject poverty", and they were likely happier and healthier than you.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-03-2017 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This was concluded as the reason why my friend jumped off a cliff. It was so easy for us to scream WHYYY??? He and his wife were less than 70k in debt. They were young, in their early 30's. The debt was nothing that couldn't have been managed over time. If everyone in C's life knew he was that desperate I'm certain a collection would have been taken that could have eased their burden.

Nothing you can say though can ease the crippling stranglehold of depression. In C's case, he left a wife and two kids with that 70k debt, plus an even more painful lifelong debt of sadness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies