Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:08 AM

1,194 posts, read 727,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Here is a number that is impressive....US national debt, $20.4 trillion.
Mr. Canuck...Another impressive number Canadas national debt, 1.3 trillion with 1/10 population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
U.S. adds impressive 209,000 jobs in July as jobless rate matches 16-year low - MarketWatch

Liberals ready to concede Trump is the greatest President in decades? Perhaps ever?
I would really like to know if your goal is to simply put up as much that CLAIMS positive results thanks to Trump, regardless the truth, or whether you really believe what you post? Do you care to better understand or do you just understand that if it sounds good about Trump that's good enough for you?

If the former...

"July marked the 82nd straight month of U.S. job growth, the longest such streak on record."

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/jobs-numbers/

For you or anyone who really is interested in "connecting these dots" when it comes to what credit Trump should get for what, or just good old-fashioned data about the job market in America, you may find the above link/story worth a look.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:17 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
U.S. adds impressive 209,000 jobs in July as jobless rate matches 16-year low - MarketWatch

Liberals ready to concede Trump is the greatest President in decades? Perhaps ever?
I find it fascinating that Trump gets credit from rightwingers for an economy he didn't create. There has yet been no change in tax policy. There has been no passage of an infrastructure bill. There has been no budgetary change to account for positive changes in the economy in the last six months.

It takes years of policy implementation to make any appreciable difference in things like unemployment rates. The real winner here is the Obama Administration who obtained an economic stimulus back in 2009 when this country needed it badly. The economy has been gradually recovering from the recession since about 2010. Recovery has been slow, but is nearing completion. People who believe Trump is responsible for any of this probably believe that Grimm's Fairy Tales are true stories.

When Donald Trump has been President for over one year, he can begin to take some credit for the positive changes in the economy. Until that time, he's just a freeloader. A man claiming credit for something a man whom he falsely claims wasn't born in the USA actually accomplished.

Many Trumpbots probably are unable to conceptualize what I am talking about. They are not the most mentally agile people in this country and they repeatedly demonstrate it by ignoring one outrageous act after another by "their hero".

Old 08-04-2017, 10:22 AM

736 posts, read 353,959 times
Lets be realistic here. The economy is getting better, but there are still problems. For example, the unemployment rate is low, but it's low for the wrong reasons. The low unemployment is due to people retiring or dropping out of the work force. Ideally, low unemployment would occur due to job growth. A high job growth rate will result in more people being employed and a lower unemployed rate, which is what was happening before the housing bubble.

Another problem is wage growth. Historically, low unemployment will result in a strong wage growth. Employers compete for a smaller work force by providing higher wages. The wage growth is only 2.2, which is low compared to past wage growth.

I am not entirely convince that the economy is recovering at high speed like many Trump supporters claim, until I start to see high wage growth and low unemployment numbers that are not due to people retiring or people dropping out the work force. The numbers aren't bad, but they aren't great.

I'm giving Trump 4-6 more months to get something done. I want to see results not excuses.

Last edited by NekoLogic; 08-04-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-04-2017, 10:44 AM

33,562 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Mr. Canuck...Another impressive number Canadas national debt, 1.3 trillion with 1/10 population.
I agree, both are far too high.....So per capita US debt is approximately $75,000 for every man woman and child, compared to Canada's $37,000 per capita..... Personally I dislike debt and prefer to live within my means.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
The elites are torn over whether they want Trump to succeed or fail since their stock portfolios are doing so well.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:

Job gains in July, 2016 were an impressive 255,000. That's 46,000 more jobs than were created in July 2017. Similar deal when comparing June 2016 to 2017.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
If you watched Trump's entire rally last night and not just clips, he still says the unemployment numbers are phony because of people no longer looking for jobs. He said the same thing when he was running and Obama was president.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:03 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:

Trump is a better president than Reagan, Reagan, and Reagan combined!

MAGA!!!!

Old 08-04-2017, 11:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
Lets be realistic here. The economy is getting better, but there are still problems. For example, the unemployment rate is low, but it's low for the wrong reasons. The low unemployment is due to people retiring or dropping out of the work force. Ideally, low unemployment would occur due to job growth. A high job growth rate will result in more people being employed and a lower unemployed rate, which is what was happening before the housing bubble.

Another problem is wage growth. Historically, low unemployment will result in a strong wage growth. Employers compete for a smaller work force by providing higher wages. The wage growth is only 2.2, which is low compared to past wage growth.

I am not entirely convince that the economy is recovering at high speed like many Trump supporters claim, until I start to see high wage growth and low unemployment numbers that are not due to people retiring or people dropping out the work force. The numbers aren't bad, but they aren't great.

I'm giving Trump 4-6 more months to get something done. I want to see results not excuses.
Almost 17 years ago, BLS projected a persistent future decline in the labor force participation rate and attributed it to a variety of reasons, aging of population, more young adults attending college and more mothers staying staying home.

The other powerful factor is that Industrial robotics, technology substitution and lean manufacturing have separated productivity from job/ wage growth.

Wages are meaningless. It's all about purchasing power within the 4000+/- micro economies in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies