Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I suspect that Canada is aging and has a low birth rate just like the US. These immigrants are just as necessary there as they are here for economic growth - as economially painful and hard to understand as that might be for the less educated.
Well, there ya go. A reasonable response instead of churlish gloating.

Kudos!

These folks would not be described as immigrants by the mainstream Canadians however, and would in all likelihood not be accepted on that basis unless scoring appropriately within our system of selection.

These folks are merely showing up and claiming asylum or refugee status, ergo, they are "in need" until that claim can be either verified or disclaimed.

Thanks once again for your "considerate" rejoinder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 09:01 AM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I suspect that Canada is aging and has a low birth rate just like the US. These immigrants are just as necessary there as they are here for economic growth - as economially painful and hard to understand as that might be for the less educated.
More necessary. The median age in Canada is 42 while the median age in the U.S. is 38. I assume the difference is partly due to illegal immigration from Mexico currently taxing your system, as I note the median age in Mexico is 28.

Some small Canadian towns are very keen to attract young immigrant families to settle and grow roots. They don't want to see to see their towns die.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Seems this thread ..... derailed to a bash, mock, demean, and just lessen a whole nation. Was a time it was the ..... ugly American boasting and demeaning? My oh my how times change.

I always had a positive view of Canada and Canadians. But C-D changed that quite a bit. Now if I were to meet a Canadian? I would think ..... no matter what was said to my face? Their TRUE VIEWS would be they are superior in ALL WAYS and This change in my perspective? Is totally from C-D.

My changed opinion that does no mean I won't give everyone the benefit of the doubt .....

If, as you say, you're willing to give the benefit of the doubt then I think you need to read the thread again from the beginning. The topic of this thread was derailed to a bash, mock, demean and lessen a whole nation (Canada) right at the very beginning with post # 1 and it went further downhill from there. It wasn't Canadians that started with all the toxic gloating, sneering and mocking. While Canadians may have a reputation for being peaceful and apologetic it shouldn't be assumed that Canadians are pushovers who will just bend over and be made a mockery of at the convenience of a group of American bullies and trolls who don't know what they're talking about.

While it's true I've said that Canada as a whole is morally superior to USA (which it undeniably IS, even as evidenced by the reason for the topic of this thread and by the direction sneering Americans took this thread to) I never said that Canadians think they are superior in all ways so please don't you go making wrongful assumptions too.

Dave, you have mostly demonstrated a sensible and polite perspective when you've posted in the Canada forum and I like you and your usually thoughtful posts but I'm not buying the misplaced guilt trip you're trying to lay on Canadians this time here in the P&OC forum.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
So you mean Canadians would send these poor people back to there home country to die of starvation and cholera!
How evil.

RR
No. Those people would be sent back to the US. This article talks about the 3rd country agreement.

"The thinking is that, in light of U.S. President Donald Trump’s actions targeting immigrants and refugees, it is morally – and legally – wrong to send claimants back to the States."

Canada’s ‘Safe Third Country’ agreement isn’t really holding back that many refugees: advocates - National | Globalnews.ca

If a person is denied refugee status in the US, and the US was their first " safe " country, then that refugee would most likely not qualify for status in Canada.

That's the way it's suppose to work.

What is happening is that the US is denying people or is threatening the status of people that most likely would of gotten them status before. Just the fear of Trump's rhetoric is making these people flee.

Canada is picking up the pieces of your failed policies.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, there definitely are Canadians complaining about refugees. Please. Not all of us on this thread are Americans who know little about Canada.
There is always going to be people complaining. The point is that there is no " howling " in Canada, meaning the vast majority seem fine with it.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
WOAH! I thought Canada was super nice!???!?
I can't follow your logic.

You called us hypocrites for having a saner immigration/refugee policy than yours.

We don't tolerate illegal immigration like you guys have.

We take in valid refugees.

You are giddy because you think we are now somehow not nice, because YOU want us to take in illegals?

Old 08-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The only good that comes out of any of this is that Canada and Europe are getting a taste of their medicine. For way too many years, Canada and Europe have sat atop their high horses looking down on America as if they were morally superior and try to admonish us for wanting a secure border, protecting our 2nd Amendment rights, and proceeded to mock, non-stop, of how much violence there is in this country.

Now Europe is seeing non-stop violence, some of them, (not counting Sweden which still wants to apologize for making the criminals hurt them), are starting to get it that hey, wait a minute...this is a bad idea! Italy, after how many thousands of "refugees" have flooded into their country boat load after boat load has finally stepped up and said 'we can't take any more'. They are starting to feel the cost of having all of these 'refugees' there (why are all the 'refugees' young males?), but the real brunt of the cost and the violence is yet to be felt.

They mocked so much. They knew better than us. They were so much better than us. The ones who haven't woken up yet still think that.

Welp, now they get to see what it's like. Let's see what they're saying in 10 years time. I bet they won't be mocking us anymore.

Maybe by then, the left can finally stop bleating about wanting to be just like Sweden.

Eastern Europe, Asia (the real Asia not what the BBC calls 'Asia'), and Trump appear to be the only ones with any brains regarding this issue.
Wow, and they call Canadians insecure.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:39 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I can't follow your logic.

You called us hypocrites for having a saner immigration/refugee policy than yours.

We don't tolerate illegal immigration like you guys have.

We take in valid refugees.

You are giddy because you think we are now somehow not nice, because YOU want us to take in illegals?
Oh, you're GOING to take them in.....don't you worry!

Old 08-12-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Oh, you're GOING to take them in.....don't you worry!
It doesn't work the same as in the US..

"Fearing deportation from the United States isn't enough to make an asylum case in Canada, she says.
Filici points out that asylum applicants who've been living in the United States for a while will likely have an even tougher time convincing Canadian authorities to let them stay.
"The first question will be why didn't you ask for asylum in the United States?" she says. "The second will be, do you really think that your persecutors are going to remember you?
"
Also, for asylum applicants here, time is not on their side.
It's not like the United States, she says, where cases can take years to begin and even longer to make their way through the backlogged system.
In the past few years, Canada changed its system to give immigrants faster responses on their cases. In less than two months, people applying for asylum will present their case to a panel. Officials typically respond within a month. If the initial request is denied, there's an appeals process that Filici says won't last more than six months.
That means unsuccessful applicants only have 30 days to leave the country, since a deportation order goes into effect as soon as officials reach their final decision, according to Filici.

Officials aim, she says, to prevent applicants from claiming they've already put down roots in Canada -- something that often comes up in lengthy US immigration cases."

Latin American immigrants eye Canada as US deportation fears grow - CNN

Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM

783 posts, read 576,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL, you're funny.... Hey, since you're all into compassion, I'm sure there are homeless people living in your area. Why don't you practice what you preach and give them a place to stay? Or are you saying this because you like judging other people?

I wonder how these people are going to afford housing in CA.
I always forget to put a sarcasm tag in my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies