Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times

Advertisements

This year, we hit the 33% marginal tax bracket - alternative minimum tax and all of that. We don't own a home or have kids, so we don't really get to deduct anything.

I'm grateful for our income, and I'm not fundamentally complaining about having to work hard for it and pay my fair share. I know that we're very fortunate.

But why is it fair for my personal share to be up to TWICE the rate of the fair share of people with gargantuan incomes like Romney and Buffett who will never have real financial worries again in their lives? We're doing well, but unlike those guys, we do depend heavily on our cash flow to generate our critical savings for future needs as well as to cover our day-to-day expenses. We get hurt by the loss of that marginal dollar A LOT more than the multi-millionaires and billionaires ever would be.

And why is it "class warfare" whenever I point this out? How is it not "class warfare" for me to be reamed porportionally so much more than the super rich - many of whose enterprises I also have to pay to bail out of their bad business decisions?

I'm not saying that the Buffett rule is the way to go, but why can't we have a tax system that institutes some sense of consistent fairness relative to income all the way across the income spectrum? Why is this concept so fundamentally controversial and anti-American for conservatives?

Last edited by ambient; 04-17-2012 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,451,330 times
Because you should not want to make a better life for yourself! You should want the gov to take care of you.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,998 times
Why is Bailout Cash given freely to Wall Street Bankers?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Because you should not want to make a better life for yourself! You should want the gov to take care of you.
So in other words...you can't defend or explain it. Ok, thanks for playing.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Can someone explain to me again why it's fair for me to be taxed at 2x the rate of ppl earning 20-150x my annual income?
It's because you're confused about what the word "earn" means.

Their overall rates are lower because they make most of their money from investments, not wages.

You WANT wealthy people investing their money. That job you "aren't fundamentally complaining" about would likely disappear without those evil rich people pumping their cash into the economy.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's because you're confused about what the word "earn" means.

Their overall rates are lower because they make most of their money from investments, not wages.

You WANT wealthy people investing their money. That job you "aren't fundamentally complaining" about would likely disappear without those evil rich people pumping their cash into the economy.
I find it backwards that someone pushing $ around should get taxed less than someone who does real work. Both contribute to the economy, 1 actually produces real goods.

The incentive to invest should be sitting on your ass making money and getting taxed at the same rate.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Ambient congrats, you're in the netherworld like me. Not rich enough to afford an army of tax lawyers like Buffett, and not poor enough to be in the 47% that get to reap without sowing.

In essence we are the slave class of the 21st century. I doubt that the solution is to further fine-tune & add complexity to the tax system.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I find it backwards that someone pushing $ around should get taxed less than someone who does real work.

Both contribute to the economy, 1 actually produces real goods.
You've neatly summed up the 'physical fallacy.' Of what use is an Einstein? After all, all he did was push a pencil, moving greek letters from one side of an equation to the other. No real goods there, right?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You've neatly summed up the 'physical fallacy.' Of what use is an Einstein? After all, all he did was push a pencil, moving greek letters from one side of an equation to the other. No real goods there, right?
Difference being a scientist would pay their fair share of taxes.

I believe investing is "work" and should be taxed at the same rate as Steve who runs a landscaping business or Juan who works IT or Einstein developing the theory of relativity.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Difference being a scientist would pay their fair share of taxes.

I believe investing is "work" and should be taxed at the same rate as Steve who runs a landscaping business or Juan who works IT or Einstein developing the theory of relativity.
nice switch. First it was about who produces 'real goods' now it's about 'fair share of taxes.' Which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies