Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:07 AM

817 posts, read 753,530 times

Advertisements

I get it, everyone is supposed to be-all accepting and get along, but the truth is any time you go against the liberal ideology, you get attacked. And people resort to conservative tactics, Which includes being a little stern and mean with people to thicken their skin up sometimes. So to me, resorting to what is considered baseline behavior, only further proves that conservatism is the superior ideology

Old 08-08-2017, 06:15 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
No one on the Trump side of the ledger should ever bring up the word "hypocritical". We can post hundreds of examples of your boy doing just that. He is the king of hypocrites.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
I get it, everyone is supposed to be-all accepting and get along, but the truth is any time you go against the liberal ideology, you get attacked. And people resort to conservative tactics, Which includes being a little stern and mean with people to thicken their skin up sometimes. So to me, resorting to what is considered baseline behavior, only further proves that conservatism is the superior ideology
Because liberalism is not based on logic and facts, it's based on emotions and shifting/changing the logic to the situation in order to support the PC narrative.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
What is the difference between "attacking" and being "a little stern and mean?"

Old 08-08-2017, 06:49 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,869,273 times
I think the meaning of Liberalism as a political ideology has been misconstrued here.

Yes there are a lot of steretypes of Liberals as tree-hugging, 'make love not war', passive people, and some of that may stem from fact...

But there is nothing in Liberal ideology that says we cannot stand up for what we believe is right, nothing that says we cannot criticize the government.

Yes, Liberals are more accepting of various lifestyle choices and individual liberties. However, it does not undermine the fact that we are allowed to express opinions.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What is the difference between "attacking" and being "a little stern and mean?"

What's the difference between not liking a policy and being called a racist for not liking said policy?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:53 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Because liberalism is not based on logic and facts, it's based on emotions and shifting/changing the logic to the situation in order to support the PC narrative.

As others have noted the term liberal has been hijacked by the Left to mean something more aligned with the above quote. It is really the modern "Progressive" movement, which has been entirely embraced by the Democrat Party. It also embraces that idea that government grants us rights, and government can solve all society's problems if we just throw money at them in the form of confiscated tax dollars from the productive.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:54 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I think the meaning of Liberalism as a political ideology has been misconstrued here.

Yes there are a lot of steretypes of Liberals as tree-hugging, 'make love not war', passive people, and some of that may stem from fact...

But there is nothing in Liberal ideology that says we cannot stand up for what we believe is right, nothing that says we cannot criticize the government.

Yes, Liberals are more accepting of various lifestyle choices and individual liberties. However, it does not undermine the fact that we are allowed to express opinions.

To the bold....yet, when the repubs/righties....express their opinions, they are called racist, phobic....and so on...

Old 08-08-2017, 06:54 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times
Quote:
That's a lot of caricatures you're putting out there.

First, lets get this one out on the table. I will be the first to admit that intolerance in terms of attitude, tone, ridicule, etc is equally likely regardless of one's political position. Politics in general tends to attract self-righeteous *******s like spilled sugar attracts ants. It's the same with any other hot potato issue (economics, finance, religion, national security, environmentalism, and so on).

Second, related to the first, I started this thread a few months ago about bashing people of different ideologies, and I assure you LOTS of conservatives were bashing this thread. So combining these two points, the "you're being intolerant and unaccepting" claims cancel each other out.

Baseline behavior? That's a pretty broad generalization right there. A lot of people are not blind to how petty, mean, and counterproductive scoffing, ridicule, and personal attacks are. Anyone can find them on this board with a little bit of effort - conservative and liberal.

"Being stern and mean to thicken their skin up": Again, a lot of implicit assumptions in this one.

Being stern and mean... right there, you're conflating the two.

sternness assertion of legitimate authority over someone, or to make people think twice before they consciously and deliberately set out to initiate hurt, harm, demeaning, or general disrespect against others well outside the scope of self-defense or defense of others (whether physical or not). The last part of the sentence supplies the definition for "meanness"

mean consciously and deliberately set out to initiate hurt, harm, demeaning, or general disrespect against others well outside the scope of self-defense or defense of others (whether physical or not).

I assume this is clear to you by now.

"thicken their skin up". Why should this be an issue at all? In all my almost 20 years in online discussions on a variety of boards and chat rooms (astronomy, anthropology, politics, etc) I have yet to see any instance where being thick-skinned or thin-skinned proves a statement true or false. The same thing goes for real life face to face discussions - sensibility of a post (or not) has nothing to do with how thick or thin skinned a person is. A post is true (or at least plausible) or not based on its own merits or demerits, not on the thickness of skin of the poster.

As for "resorting to baseline behavior" (which I take to mean cocky insults that contribute nothing to a discussion), especially assuming that that proves conservativism is the superior ideology, you assume that human nature is more or less all right the way it is and therefore there is no need to change it.

The problem is that lots of things in this world are "baseline behavior" yet we don't condone it. Theft, non-defense assault or verbal abuse, lying when truth is morally / ethically paramount, prejudice against "different" or low-status people. The same goes for the sensitive, thin-skinned, timid, or even people of low-intelligence We as a society have wised up and realized these behaviors and mentalities are outside the range of appropriate acts, expressions, or thinking. We all have to examine our basebrain distaste against the "different", "weak", "stupid", etc., then determine of our attitudes are appropriate or inappropriate.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:56 AM

1,302 posts, read 684,493 times
This kind of Complaining threads are always made by hypocrites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies