Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 05:59 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you are against the idea of term limits for the House and Senate, please state why.
I believe all terms limits are unconstitutional -- including the 22nd amendment. It should be repealed.

Term limits do two things: they take away the freedom of someone to run for office for another term, and they take away my freedom to vote for that candidate. What if the person has done an excellent job and the voters want to keep him or her? Term limits punishes excellence and promotes mediocrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 06:03 PM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm in favor of term limits. Most of these politicians promise and don't deliver and it will be better to set the term similar to what a President can have as a term!
That just shows it's easier to campaign and tell people what they want to hear than it is to actually govern once elected.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:08 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
We definitely need term limits. And the argument that "the people" are free to simply not vote for them is a bogus one, inasmuch as presidents' terms are limited.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:52 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
I’m against any lifetime appointment. Makes little to no sense. Who wants a senile old person in any office until they die?

Old 12-15-2017, 06:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
If the American people want term limits, we should have them.

The only thing that can fix Congress is their inability to run for office time and time again. Once comfortably ensconced, they start working for special interests. Forget their constituents.

Senators need to be limited to two terms, House Members to 3 or 4 terms. That’s plenty. Go home.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:25 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And,
Building a Wall,
Stopping illegal Immigration.
Reforming Taxes,
Bringing jobs back to America,
and Infrastructure Repair among a few, so far NADA. In fact I do not see him doing much of anything on those issues other than attacking Repubs in Congress for not doing his work and labeling everything Negative as Fake News.,
^^^^^^ Yeah I know this is from the 'older' part of this thread, but I found your knee jerk reaction above amusing. You thought pknopp was talking about Trump, so you reacted (without bothering to read Ponderosa's post that pknopp was replying to) as you did above. If you read pknopp's post again and read Ponderosa's post, you'll notice....the subject was John McCain, not Trump.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:50 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We have term limits every two years. Exercise it.
In many places we really don't. Any congressional district which swings left or right the incumbent has little resistance to being reelected. Same for senate races in non swing states.

Without term limits the power stays with the political parties. I don't see what good comes out of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies