Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times

Advertisements

Are you upset about the statues coming down because it is part of your heritage.

Are you racists? If not then why don't you come out against white supremacists etc and defend your heritage.

Same as saying for Muslims to come out against hatred and violence.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:15 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
I am white and live in Georgia, and am surrounded by ignorant redneck racists that fly that confederate flag from their mobile homes and old trucks. They do not speak for me.

As a white person, I am ashamed at what was happening in Charlottesville.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:18 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Are you upset about the statues coming down because it is part of your heritage.

Are you racists? If not then why don't you come out against white supremacists etc and defend your heritage.

Same as saying for Muslims to come out against hatred and violence.
I think they should stay, they are part of history and as such should remain, ignoring history does not change it.

Nope, and I do stand against the supremacists. Defend what?

And most do.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
We live in the United States of America, not the Confederate States of America. The Confederacy was a very short-lived nation that was defeated in a war long before any of us were born.

No American should be proud of Confederate statues or symbols. Nor should we feel bothered when they are taken down. They do not represent who we are.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,385 times
No matter what you do or what you say you can not erase history. You can learn from history and these statutes should be used as a learning tool on why slavery is horrible and we should never forget that. Anyone ever wonder why the labor camps and death camps are still standing in Europe, it isn't to make them into a 6 Flags one day.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:26 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I think it is sad that the statues are coming down because they are a big part of American History.
I wonder who is more offended by them, whites because they are embarrassed or blacks because they are symbols of oppression ?

I think for both groups especially blacks they should serve as benchmark reminders of a terrible time in our history and be a symbol of how far we have come since then.

We have extreme groups on both sides. White supremacists are ignorant and trying to hold onto an old worn out notion. Black groups such as ones who take over the streets looking for trouble while chanting "pigs in a blanket fry them like bacon" are just as bad.
Luckily for America most of us have a bit of common sense and decency and we land somewhere inbetween these fringe hate groups.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:28 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
The problem is that many don't bother to recognize the difference between the South and the Confederacy. The South has a very long, very proud heritage. As it should. The Confederacy is a very very small part of that history. But too many people treat them interchangeably.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:28 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Again, and I've said this before, slavery was just one element of Southern society, and was NOT the sole reason for secession, nor the war. I think the issues of state's rights, and the Tariffs of the day were two of the other significant issues. I think of state's right as an essential, cornerstone of the U.S., plus over taxation in the forms of Tariffs is just plain WRONG.

So instead of Virtue Signaling all the time, and focusing solely on race, and slavery, maybe some should put their fragile egos aside, and learn from the past.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:30 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Again, and I've said this before, slavery was just one element of Southern society, and was NOT the sole reason for secession, nor the war. I think the issues of state's rights, and the Tariffs of the day were two of the other significant issues. I think of state's right as an essential, cornerstone of the U.S., plus over taxation in the forms of Tariffs is just plain WRONG.

So instead of Virtue Signaling all the time, and focusing solely on race, and slavery, maybe some should put their fragile egos aside, and learn from the past.
Yes, state's rights to run slavery economies.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I think they should stay, they are part of history and as such should remain, ignoring history does not change it.

Nope, and I do stand against the supremacists. Defend what?

And most do.
No they aren't a part of history. Not true at all. History isn't the statues we put up.

Yes keep landmarks, buildings, graves, forts but the statues erected some 50, 60 or more years later are not history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies