Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Anyone who supports the KKK is mentally ill.
You are correct.

Being full of that amount of hatred is indicative of a deep-seated mental illness.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:41 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
until the white people start fighting back this kind of crap will continue.
And the o jective of this fight? What will the "winners" get to lay claim to? Last thing anyone needs is more fighting. Action in certain areas, yes. But not in the form of conflict. But that horse has left the corral. Bad thing gs have happened and people are angry. They want revenge. Not justice. After this statue bit, and a death in VA, I fear an escalation. Next step, groups will take up guarding these statues. Probably armed. And others will roll to pull them down. Also armed. Any guesses as to where that ends up?

A y a d a symbolism or perceived Symbian of the Co federal will result in a rat pack attack on whoever is dispdisplaying it. Knowing this, these supremacist clowns will get busy overtly displaying such things to provoke such reactions. I nocent people will get caught up in the rush to react to this, as the other side looks for even the most innocuous items to justify attacks. It just won't end.

I'm surprised no shots were fired in Charlottesesville, but I take some small comfort they werent. This fracas is you g yet though. And the respective camps are spoiling for a fight. I feel fortunate that tensions around here are pretty light in comparison to other areas, but nobody is immune. All my reenactment gear is packed away. Flags and guidons, uniforms, field kit, all of it. I tale to some old friends from the group, a d o e upcoming g annual event has been canceled due to all this nonsense. The venue pulled the Civil War events from the docket. This would have been the 15th year. . The vroup, and other affiliated ones in NV and CA are not even looking at next season . Fks like my unit can maybe ok at doing cavalry demos at rodeos and such, but no matter whether we go blue or grey there's historical stereotypes to contend with that will create issues.

Blue cavalry isnt seen in any more (even less actually) favorable a way than grey by some folks. It's the end of an era for us. Hearing about this event cancelation pretty much affirmed my fears, and it didn't take long. Less than 24 hours after my first post here. (Sigh) maybe I'll look at medevial stuff, or maybe the Mountain Man clubs might be safe for a little while yet.. Civil War is toast. At least for us. There are some plumb huge groups back East. Thousands of people. It way bigger than around here by far. I wonder how they will fare?

These are the clubs that do Gettysburg, Antietam and the like every year. Reckon I'll find out. Start checking news letters. If confrontations start happening around statues and monuments and they get as ugly as I fear they might, it won't take long before the parks and such start closing big events. I don't see states giving police and NG protection for these events. Sorta ruins the flavor anyway.Theyre supposed to be family oriented, fun things. Not pitical rally for racial issues groups looking for trouble. Way things are looking, becoming a real Mountain Man and heading for the high country with a Hawken rifle and a mule is looking good....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
No worse than 1776 New Yorkers toppling statues of King George III. By that era's standards, the statue topplers committed an illegal act too. Are you gonna condemn them?

Old 08-15-2017, 10:47 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Protesters topple Confederate statue in North Carolina | TheHill

Oh well, the Nazis can't come try to save it now!
As I posted in another thread, what gives them the right to destroy statues because it doesn't fit their political views or their mindset? This reminds me of another group of people that were destroying monuments and other historical items because it didn't fit their political views or mindset, I do believe this group was called ISIS.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:52 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Protesters topple Confederate statue in North Carolina | TheHill

Oh well, the Nazis can't come try to save it now!

So what is next, you will cheer or give tacit approval to others burning books by authors you dislike or consider dangerous?

Would you being saying the same thing if a statue or monument of MLK or Harvey Milk were toppled/damaged?

If not, then why not?

Quote:
What is all this communist stuff? Is this a Fox talking point or something?
That poster was essentially saying the same thing in a different manner. As to talking points, hopefully you are not just aware of what the "other side" does, and not think it doesn't occur by those with whom you agree with.

Whether you want to call the destruction of statues/monuments fascist or communist, it all boils down to the same thing. Violent/criminal/destructive behavior like what the leftist agitators have been engaged in for the last year or so is classic fascist tactics.
So just because one of these groups calls themselves anti-fascist, does not mean they are any better if they engage in the same behavior.

Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by Vector1; 08-15-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 11:00 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You are correct.

Being full of that amount of hatred is indicative of a deep-seated mental illness.
So, you are saying that the "Other Side" is not full of hatred?
It has been said many times on these forums: "Haters gotta hate!"
I have found that it is very true. BUT, neither side has a lock on "Haters". They are prevalent on both the left and the right. It seems to me that the worst are those that hide their hate under a blanket of supposed "tolerance", when they are actually MORE intolerant and bigoted than those they demean.
Yet, only the "Alt-Right" (whatever that means) and the "Far Right" are called out for hatred.
I wonder why?

Will there be a Bighorn Battlefield re-enactment next year?
How about the Gettysburg re-enactment?

Old 08-15-2017, 11:02 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Way things are looking, becoming a real Mountain Man and heading for the high country with a Hawken rifle and a mule is looking good....
I could not agree more at this point.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:33 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
No worse than 1776 New Yorkers toppling statues of King George III. By that era's standards, the statue topplers committed an illegal act too. Are you gonna condemn them?
Your joking right?

I know you were addressing another poster, but an act of destroying historical statues vs. destroying the images of an active oppressive tyrant, are two very different things.

What the leftist agitators did in this instance is akin to what the Taliban did, by destroying historical statues.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:40 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
So, you are saying that the "Other Side" is not full of hatred?
It has been said many times on these forums: "Haters gotta hate!"
I have found that it is very true. BUT, neither side has a lock on "Haters". They are prevalent on both the left and the right. It seems to me that the worst are those that hide their hate under a blanket of supposed "tolerance", when they are actually MORE intolerant and bigoted than those they demean.
Yet, only the "Alt-Right" (whatever that means) and the "Far Right" are called out for hatred.
I wonder why?

Will there be a Bighorn Battlefield re-enactment next year?
How about the Gettysburg re-enactment?

I'm waiting on news as to the reenactment climate in other areas. Ours here is toast. Little Big Horn I don't think will be effected. The Indians LOVE that event. I've been once. I came home nursing injuries. It's a WILD event. The ear up to the actual battle is...tense. The battle itself gets crazy. It's not an event for green riders or marshmallows. If you attend as a trooper, expect to get a bit beat up.

I've got some feelers out back East to see how those huge clubs are a Ning their events for next season and what's left of this one. Our last loc event here has been cancelled. At least the Civil War part. A couple other different groups are trying to pick up the slack and seeing how many of us might throw in with them. Not much time to really an something good.

The A clubs are packing it in for this season too. Nothing on what next year looks like yet. If groups start disrupting events back East, anning "pprotests" at Gettysburg, Anteitam, Manassas, Cold Harbor and the like it could get ugly. Ree actors and living historians are becoming targets. It's really, really sad. That family oriented historical events with no political motives at all have to take cover is just wrong. But how can we have historically accurate and educational Civil War events if the people who portray Confederates have to work about their families getting caught in a violent riot? The people who do this are often multi generational, and children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren actively participate.

Going after folks like this at an event isn't much different from attacking a church picnic.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
well, at least they saved taxpayer money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies