Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 AM

33 posts, read 49,943 times

Advertisements

We've been hearing for years now how "diversity makes us stronger".
Some companies now even have VPs of diversity.

What about diversity of IDEAS?
Why is it that ideas that run counter to liberalism are met with immediate scorn, derision and outright censorship?

Why are liberals afraid of exposing themselves to different viewpoints and making up their own minds?
Fareed Zakaria: Liberals think they're tolerant, but they're not - CNN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Give me an example of the ideas.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Kicking all illegals out.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/04/n...-protests.html

Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Kicking all illegals out.

Converting Welfare to "Workfare" for those able to work
Using our domestic fossil fuel energy to its full extent
Acknowledging Free Speech, and the 1st Amendment protects speech we do not like, nor agree
Acknowledging there is NO RIGHT not to be offended
Let the market set wage rates
Limit the Federal Government's power as stated in the Constitution
Stop activist courts from legislating from the bench (see above Fed Gov)
Allow free expression of ALL symbols, not just the Rainbow one

Just a small list off the top of my head.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Converting Welfare to "Workfare" for those able to work
Using our domestic fossil fuel energy to its full extent
Acknowledging Free Speech, and the 1st Amendment protects speech we do not like, nor agree
Acknowledging there is NO RIGHT not to be offended
Let the market set wage rates
Limit the Federal Government's power as stated in the Constitution
Stop activist courts from legislating from the bench (see above Fed Gov)
Allow free expression of ALL symbols, not just the Rainbow one

Just a small list off the top of my head.
Exactly, there are many more as well.
The overriding theme is that any idea that is OUTSIDE of accepted liberal dogma is not tolerated in the slightest! I have liberal friends and family members who will and have ceased talking to people who simply
expressed an idea or opinion they disagree with.
This is rampant on colleges and universities, the very place where critical thinking and exposure to different ideas and opinion should be encouraged instead of stifled.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:14 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherwinsRamblings View Post
We've been hearing for years now how "diversity makes us stronger".
Some companies now even have VPs of diversity.

What about diversity of IDEAS?
Why is it that ideas that run counter to liberalism are met with immediate scorn, derision and outright censorship?

Why are liberals afraid of exposing themselves to different viewpoints and making up their own minds?
Fareed Zakaria: Liberals think they're tolerant, but they're not - CNN
I am not tolerant of stupid,racist ideas. That has never been part of our party line and never will be. What I am tolerant of is all types of people, including those who hold those stupid, racist ideas. They are American citizens and are allowed to hold those stupid, racist ideas. That does not mean I have to listen to them spew their ideas without sharing my own.

The only time those people with their stupid, racist ideas become intolerable are when they intimidate, threaten, assault and kill.

I am going to say this in all caps so maybe, just maybe you will really hear it.

TOLERANCE DOES NOT EQUAL SILENCE.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:19 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Yet another tired, false equivalency screed.

Because not all ideas have equal merit. That's like saying we should weigh promoting intolerance and exclusion on an equal basis with expanding opportunities for people of all walks of life.

Puh-leeze. Stop. With. This.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:19 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am not tolerant of stupid,racist ideas. That has never been part of our party line and never will be. What I am tolerant of is all types of people, including those who hold those stupid, racist ideas. They are American citizens and are allowed to hold those stupid, racist ideas. That does not mean I have to listen to them spew their ideas without sharing my own.

Who decides what is stupid, and racist? You? The Left only?

Quote:
The only time those people with their stupid, racist ideas become intolerable are when they intimidate, threaten, assault and kill.

I am going to say this in all caps so maybe, just maybe you will really hear it.

TOLERANCE DOES NOT EQUAL SILENCE.

We all agree that violence is unacceptable, yet Antifa, and BLM are always violent, and that seems to be OK. Nobody is trying to silence you, yet they try to silence the Right by calling it "Hate Speech". Isn't ALL speech protected under the 1at Amendment? Is everything the LEFT doesn't agree with, "hate Speech"?

Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
Herbert Marcuse's theory of "repressive tolerance" is why. He basically started the idea that "we are the tolerant people, and we don't need to tolerate the intolerant people, and it's moral to shut them down by virtually any means necessary because it's a social good".

Google it. It's creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies