Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,362,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
This is something I always say and it's usually just brushed off.
The trend continues I guess.

I understand that people don't want to accept it, but nothing will change as long as you give other people political power. It's like trying to figure out how to put your bare hand on a hot stovetop without it burning...you can try all kinds of different hand angles, but the entire thing hinges on the fact that you can't hold your skin against a hot surface and expect it to be fine.

The only way to do it is get enough people to actually have a violent revolution, which I don't really support, and if people don't learn the lesson they'll just put someone else in power and it'll repeat again...or you stop believing you need rulers and ignore them.

Or you can just vote extra hard next time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 10:20 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,812,773 times
Create "Term Limits" for all of them where they can't ever be re-elected into the same position and the problems will go away over time. Self policing needs to be brought to an end.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:37 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,761,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
They constantly lie, steal, subvert, get involved in all manners of shady/illegal things that if it were your average joe/jane you'd be looking at life in prison if not execution. They can start wars, send people to die for the most BS of reasons and no matter how bad it was, no matter how many suffer and die due to it they're always allowed to simply say "Whoops, that sucks, at least I get to enjoy my mansion, perfect health care, oodles of money, and have the best life ever!".

Politicians can massively screw up in every way possible but in the end it never ends badly for them, they never have to worry about spending the rest of their lives in a prison cell with Bubba, losing everything they have, or any real negative consequences for anything they do, no matter how awful/evil/heinous it may be. We have these people that are supposed to represent us yet what incentive do they have to do what's right when no matter how awful they may be or no matter what evil deeds they may do they never have to worry about anything really bad happening to them due to it?
It is just like who polices the police, they are the ones on top of the pile and no one watching over them.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:17 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,647,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
They constantly lie, steal, subvert, get involved in all manners of shady/illegal things that if it were your average joe/jane you'd be looking at life in prison if not execution. They can start wars, send people to die for the most BS of reasons and no matter how bad it was, no matter how many suffer and die due to it they're always allowed to simply say "Whoops, that sucks, at least I get to enjoy my mansion, perfect health care, oodles of money, and have the best life ever!".

Politicians can massively screw up in every way possible but in the end it never ends badly for them, they never have to worry about spending the rest of their lives in a prison cell with Bubba, losing everything they have, or any real negative consequences for anything they do, no matter how awful/evil/heinous it may be. We have these people that are supposed to represent us yet what incentive do they have to do what's right when no matter how awful they may be or no matter what evil deeds they may do they never have to worry about anything really bad happening to them due to it?
It's very difficult to watch every step of politicians, since they have different "committees" on different subjects, and usually all decisions ( right or wrong) involve not just one politician, but groups of them.
This is if we are talking about the "democratic form of government."
With authoritarian kind of government everything is easier of course - a person in charge is blamed for all the wrongdoings and is often killed/deposed at the end.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:26 PM

35,773 posts, read 21,148,087 times
You been under the bed all your life? This is nothing new, today, tomorrow, 1000 years ago. Read your history books. Do I condone it? NO! But I see it in every country and society because it's run by Imperfect men.
Politicians have money, power and they become corrupt. Even good men have to work with others who are not. I can pull at least 5 people at work today, who do not deserve a paycheck. I will go nuts hunting them down. Hold what you can accountable.
And as I say, and they wonder why we march?

Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,758,030 times
Politicians like to blame their failures or screw-ups on someone or something, and convince their supporters it's the right thing to do. Kind of like what happened with Obama and many of the dems during his administration. They kept blaming Bush while holding America and the economy hostage.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 PM

5,079 posts, read 2,291,548 times
This is a good argument for why the federal level of government needs to be reduced. We need to get back to having local leaders responsible for the majority of policy. The lower the level, the greater input 'we the people' are likely to have on what our representatives do. Federal power should be way more limited than what it's grown to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies