Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I won't argue similarities with Katrina - Leadership in New Orleans and in Houston made poor decisions about Evacuations. The big difference I see today is with Katrina we saw gunfire, looting, "every man for himself", escape roads barricaded. In Houston, no looting, no gunfire, everyone with a boat coming out to help save lives.

It is a "catastrophe of epic proportions" - but the response of the people is very different.
Yeah, Houston (and Texas) should be proud - so far at least.
Sadly the disaster has just started. We'll have to see how people respond as it drags on.
So far though, you are right - much to be proud of.

Ken

Old 08-27-2017, 06:47 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The Weather Channel is still saying that dozens and dozens of people still have to be rescued in the one small area that Jim Cantore is covering. They only have one or two more hours of daylight? It's going to be a long, dangerous, night for many people.

I was in Houston during the 1994 flooding and I thought that was some of the worse flooding I ever saw. I was also in Louisiana and surrounded by what looked like an ocean back in the 1970s or 80s; only the road bed was visible.

I do not know the city leaders and I do not know their motivations. I think we should learn from our mistakes and move on. If we can build higher, longer, then why not. Many of the Southern bridges are higher than their counterparts in the North - I presume that is because of the flood worries? All I am asking is if they will look at the problem areas and see if they can correct the problem.

Many years ago Texas was renown for really rotten roads. Truckers, that have to sleep while their team driver is driving, don't like rotten roads. They had major changes in their DOT and they got their act together. In other words; they have learned from their mistakes. I presume that they will learn from this experience.

My flat bottom boat leaks; you just have to bail faster than the leak or rain!
Great post.

The issue is that it costs money to rebuild higher.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Local news shows rescue crews from all over the state arriving and working. Texans taking care of Texans
We are both Texans - did we expect anything different?
Texans took care of Katrina Victims - it's just who we are.

Many, many thanks to all the States that are sending experts and helicopters to aid in rescues. For those who don't know - Texas developed a multi state operation to aid in disasters, they do multi-state drills several times a year ..... added to that - Power companies from many States are early responders to help any State that needs it. The United States of America - it still exists for most of us.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:53 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
People from all over TX are arriving to assist. There could be some looting eventually but as Kibby said it's the difference from TX and NOLA.

We help and rescue.

I'll already made a donation to the TX Relief fund and the Baptist Mens Rescue.
I remember last year all those Cajuns helping people in flooding. They called themselves the Cajun Navy. Just a bunch of civilians with boats helping people out. It happens everywhere.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
People from all over TX are arriving to assist. There could be some looting eventually but as Kibby said it's the difference from TX and NOLA.

We help and rescue.

I'll already made a donation to the TX Relief fund and the Baptist Mens Rescue.
That's what happens when you have a great community, great people, and leadership. The difference is night and day.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't think it will dwarf Katrina in loss of life. I hope not. That was not just rising water, but busted levees and rushing water. At least that's what I hope, but they're predicting an additional 10 inches of rain tonight.
I don't think anything could dwarf Katrina. Camille was equally devastating but with less fatalities.
Galveston 1900 is the only one that comes to mind as dwarfing Katrina.

But it's not a competition. None of that really matters when you're the one trudging through neck high water, having just lost everything, wondering where you go from here, if you make it out alive.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times
Default Would more people have evacuated Houston if the fake news had spent more time covering the Hurricane?

The death toll is up to five now. The fake news networks have been going on and on about trump's speeches and tweets and have treated the Hurricane as a minor afterthought. Maybe if the they had been covering actual issues and dangers, people would have taken the threat more seriously.

Thoughts?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I am truly sorry for anyone in this storm's path.

Politicizing this tragedy is tone-deaf.
I agree. This just isn't the time for all that. People are hurting, we should rise above differences and help in any way we can in the coming weeks and months by donating our time, money, resources, and especially, if you are so inclined, prayers.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:27 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
As if they cared.. they don't.. it is evident when the attack Trump who is doing so much good each day for the American people.. the left is sick with hate..

Old 08-27-2017, 07:30 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
We are both Texans - did we expect anything different?
Texans took care of Katrina Victims - it's just who we are.

Many, many thanks to all the States that are sending experts and helicopters to aid in rescues. For those who don't know - Texas developed a multi state operation to aid in disasters, they do multi-state drills several times a year ..... added to that - Power companies from many States are early responders to help any State that needs it. The United States of America - it still exists for most of us.

This is a terrible situation for Texas but it is great to see how the residents respond to help each other, the rescue crews from other states, red cross volunteers. This is going to take some time, these people are going to be in a tough situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies