Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:41 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I honestly don't know why she cares, seriously, not a single person in Houston gives a rip about her or her opinion.

I haven't heard anyone here in Houston that's been critical of Turner. He made a decision based on the information he had. No one could've predicted it, but irrelevant ********* want to play Monday morning QB.

People here in Houston remember what happened during Rita, imagine that with all of the flooding on this city's major highways. Controlled evacuation with thousands and millions of people...that's an oxymoron. As soon as a mandatory evacuation came down, it would've been total hysteria, especially after Rita, Ike, Allison, etc., whether it would be 100,000 mandatory evacuations or 2 million.

And then how are you going to decide which residents get evacuated and which shouldn't? Forcing people to evacuate? Preventing people who want to? A common theme I've heard is from people who have never, ever experienced flooding in their area. Places had usually flood were spared and places that never flood are underwater. How can you predict that?

Then there's the logistics of figuring out where to house those hundreds of thousands of people in a short amount of time. Where are they going? How are they getting there? Who's going to take care of them? Who's paying for all of the food and supplies?

None of this changes the fact that there, regardless, would be billions of dollars worth of damages to homes and businesses - no preventing that.

But of course, some people are just flat-out too stoopud to understand any of that and would rather screech their irrelevance on a message board.
Exactly.

A mandatory evacuation of Houston just ahead of a hurricane.

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 08-31-2017, 08:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You know, if you had a functioning brain in that head of yours, you would have seen that my very first post on this thread was in response to the liberals bitching about Trump. I point the blame where it belongs and then you libs want to **** and moan for days, whining about "it's not the time" and saying stupid **** like "I'm warning you" (**** off). So you can pipe your ass down and stop overreacting. If you don't like what I say, put me on ignore. I don't give two rats' furry butts what you think of what I say.
Careful, you don't want Anti-Faaaa (the progressive/liberal thought enforcement squad) mad at you...

Old 08-31-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
THANK YOU! I've been saying this for pages and all I get is a bunch of idiots telling me it's impossible to evacuate people.

MORONS.

And for the last time, people, HOUSTON DOES NOT HAVE 6 MILLION PEOPLE. It has 2.3. You would not evacuate all 2.3 million people. Evacuations happen all the time. Flooding in Houston happens all the time. There was no excuse for that loser mayor not to evacuate people.
I think one of the fears was "what if we evacuate and nothing happens", what would the public say/do then? The other fear is if they are wrong that people won't listen the next time.
I've heard these reasons given in other floods/hurricane events...

Old 08-31-2017, 08:46 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Houston is not the only place destroying itself by over pumping ground water.

I happen today to check the lake I learned to sail on to find out what is going on with the level.

I found a Judge has finally ruled the State of Minnesota is at fault for allowing uncontrolled ground water pumping which caused the lake to drain.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/0...ar-lake-levels

Perhaps Houstonites can learn a thing or two about filling suits against the State of Texas for failing to control ground water extraction too.

Over drawing from the aquifer isn't limited to Houston, California is a perfect case in point where bridges and roadways have dropped several feet, they even have a river that flowed into the sea and now it's backwards. People take fresh water fro granted, that needs to change.

One aquifer in Texas is being depleted at twice the recharge rate.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gru01

Old 08-31-2017, 08:52 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think one of the fears was "what if we evacuate and nothing happens", what would the public say/do then? The other fear is if they are wrong that people won't listen the next time.
I've heard these reasons given in other floods/hurricane events...
Common sense and history should tell you how impossible it would be to have a complete evacuation. So do tell me which day specifically would the mayor and others issue evacuation orders, simple question. Keep in mind it's not just the City of Houston but the entire surrounding area, so what day does the order come down.

Honestly, the only network I have heard that perpetuates this myth is Fox News and Sean Hannity but that is to be expected.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.littlethings.com/houston..._campaign=news

These are the heroes, may God be with them and keep them safe.

Texas Deputy Passes Out In His Rescue Gear After Working Through The Night To Save Flood Victims
More than those citizens that are doing the same thing for no money, with no protection should they get hurt or die?
They are being good cops. Doing the job they are paid to do.

In my mind HERO'S are the people, regular citizens who are risking their lives when they don't have to, some driving long distances, people who are running into the danger instead of evacuating away from it all to help their fellow man.
Those people are the hero's...

Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
No idea whether Muslims have more empathy or not, but do know that I once contacted over two dozen churches asking for help feeding a bunch of kids at a free, community-based drop-in center.

Finally, one pastor said, "What do you need?" I said peanut butter, whole wheat bread, jam, oatmeal, brown sugar, bananas, potatoes, cheese." He said, you'll have it by Monday.

Monday, he showed up with boxes of oatmeal, peanut butter, jam, bread, ...

This was a community church in the poorest area of town.

It was enough to make grown woman cry.

Why are there so many good, loving people at the bottom and so few at the top?
Great question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

When have people said that Muslims are bad people?
Everyday. Every minute. Every hour. All the time. Every time I turn around. Every time a Conservative opens their mouth. 365 days a year. 24 hours a day. All day long.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
And yet first responders and others had to go to the hospital after breathing it in.
There were 10 deputies that went and 8 were released. All had eye/lung irritation. This plant looks to have done all they could to protect from such an event happening including having 3 redundant power systems that all failed when 6 feet of water hit the plant.

The chemicals will burn off when they degrade and the smoke is reportedly an "irritant" and "noxious" that's all anyone knows right now.
But I'm sure there are class action lawsuits being written by lawyers in other states as we speak, before ANY real evidence of anything is out.

You know, some of these reporters are so full of crap they should be flushed back to college TV stations...

Old 08-31-2017, 09:07 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My thoughts exactly. People hate Muslims so much they talk about wanting to exterminate them but Joel Osteen, a so called Christian, refused to open his church until he faced severe criticism when the Muslims opened their mosques voluntarily, despite the vicious hatred Americans have toward them.
People hate Islam because they fear being forced to live under Sharia law or be killed. People hate Joel Osteen, not a fire and brimstone type and other charismatic televangelist because they are asked to give money while the charismatic speaker is as rich as a charismatic singer or actor.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Common sense and history should tell you how impossible it would be to have a complete evacuation. So do tell me which day specifically would the mayor and others issue evacuation orders, simple question. Keep in mind it's not just the City of Houston but the entire surrounding area, so what day does the order come down.

Honestly, the only network I have heard that perpetuates this myth is Fox News and Sean Hannity but that is to be expected.
What "myth" would that be? That officials have said EXACTLY what I wrote in the past? I never claimed it was correct or anything else, just that those were reasons given in other areas so point your angst elsewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies