Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

I think it's very unfair to categorize people into groups. For example, a lot of folks think that people over 70 (like me) are poor drivers, just because we drive a little more slowly than we used to, and once in a while we'll clip a mirror when driving down a narrow street, or get a bicycle rider's handlebar caught in our windshield wiper, or bump into a telephone pole or one of those circular signs that has a P with a red line through it when we're parallel parking. These are honest mistakes. And, on the positive side, we never fail to turn on our blinkers when we're turning. In fact, many of us leave them on permanently, just in case we need to make a turn during the busy day. So the next time you're tempted to yell "get out of the way, bluehair!", remember that one day, you'll be cruising the streets at 25 mph, searching desperately for a restroom, and hoping to make it to Applebee's in time for the Senior Citizens five o'clock special meatloaf dinner.

Now where did I put that Jitterbug phone?

Last edited by Yeledaf; 08-25-2017 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 05:33 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeledaf View Post
i think it's very unfair to categorize people into groups. For example, a lot of folks think that people over 70 (like me) are poor drivers, just because we drive a little more slowly than we used to, and once in a while we'll clip a mirror when driving down a narrow street, or get a bicycle rider's handlebar caught in our windshield wiper, or bump into a telephone pole or one of those circular signs that has a p with a red line through it when we're parallel parking. These are honest mistakes. And, on the positive side, we never fail to turn on our blinkers when we're turning. In fact, many of us leave them on permanently, just in case we need to make a turn during the busy day. So the next time you're tempted to yell "get out of the way, bluehair!", remember that one day, you'll be cruising the streets at 25 mph, searching desperately for a restroom, and hoping to make it to applebee's in time for the senior citizens five o'clock special meatloaf dinner.

Now where did i put my jitterbug phone?
:d

Old 08-25-2017, 05:42 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Have you seen how they drive in China???????????

Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Who started the stereotype of Asian American people being bad at driving? I see bad drivers all the time and it could be just anybody. I also started hearing this about 10-15 years ago. It was mentioned in The Office in 2005 and is often mentioned in Family Guy.

I think it's not fair. There are a lot of people who look at me and think I'm a recent immigrant. A lot of us were born here, a long time ago, like me. The usual stereotypes is that we're rude and/or can't speak English.
Asians started it. They are hard on themselves.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oVTsmyB2Kto

Old 08-25-2017, 05:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
This is great right here:

Video Breakdown - The Worst Driver in China - Tosh.0 | Comedy Central

Old 08-25-2017, 05:58 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
For anyone wondering, it started because of Asian immigrants, who were truly not the best drivers. The reason for this was because some Asian countries has extremely loose traffic laws, meaning when they came to the US (or a European country), where there was an order to how traffic worked, they stuck out.

Asians are of course not genetically destined to be bad drivers. That's nonsense. But that's where the stereotype came from.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
That Tosh clip is hysterical.

I can't say anything about Asians being bad drivers. Let me just put it this way...

*stands up, clears throat*

"Hi. I'm no_recess and I'm a terrible driver."

Old 08-25-2017, 06:25 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
For anyone wondering, it started because of Asian immigrants, who were truly not the best drivers. The reason for this was because some Asian countries has extremely loose traffic laws, meaning when they came to the US (or a European country), where there was an order to how traffic worked, they stuck out.

Asians are of course not genetically destined to be bad drivers. That's nonsense. But that's where the stereotype came from.
I call BS on this. It sounds like you are admitting they are bad drivers, but it is because of their loose traffic laws? But if they aren't really bad drivers, then you're saying everyone is aware of Asian driving histories and loose traffic laws from their own countries and that is how people in America for got the stereotype?

First, assuming that Asian countries have loose traffic laws AND that is the cause of bad driving, they would have to be straight from those said countries. Also, loose traffic laws don't necessarily make you a bad driver. Then you would have to come to the conclusion that they can't learn to drive Better. I mean kids new to driving are decent within a year.

Also, no one is saying they are "genetically destined" to be bad drivers. Genetically distended means all Asians are born to be bad drivers no matter what. You're massively exaggerating and avoiding the real words which are statisticall worse or in general worse drivers.

Last edited by Berteau; 08-25-2017 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 06:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I first traveled to China on business back in the 1980s. My first day in Guangzhou, I saw two bicycles collide, causing dozens more to pile up behind them. Soon, punches were thrown, then kicks, then the whole mass of humanity seemed to become a hornet's nest of flailing arms and legs. Bodies were hurled from the mob, only to crawl back in and rejoin the fray. Soon policemen came on the scene, smashing anyone they could reach on the noggin with their batons. I never did see the end of it; this was in the days when foreigners were carefully controlled in the movements in China, and I had sneaked through a gap in the chainlink fence that surrounded my "guest" hotel. As I headed back to the hotel, I realized that I was lost; in addition, I had attracted a large crowd of curious Chinese who had never seen a live foreigner before. I began walking faster. The crowd grew larger. Panicking, I began to trot. The growing crowd, which had edged closer, matched my pace. Looking around for an escape, I spied an abandoned bicycle. I hopped aboard and began pedalling furiously. The crowd, witnessing the theft, began to shout at me and make menacing gestures. I was terrified. Finally, I saw my hotel in the distane and redoubled my pace. As I drew near, two Chinese policemen on scooters appeared on the left and headed straight for me. They drew their pistols. I hunched over the handlebars and pumped feverishly. Suddenly, I heard an alarm bell clanging and sat up in my hotel bed. Looking out the window, I watched as two bicycles collided on the sidewalk below. I realized then the truth of the Confucian adage: "Man who fall into vat of molten optical glass make spectacle of himself."

Old 08-25-2017, 09:54 PM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
You assume getting in fatal accidents = bad driver. I consider the worst drivers to be the timid ones who are clueless and get in everyone's way.

I live in an area with a sizable Asian population, and in my experience, when I encounter a timid and clueless driver, they're more likely to be Asian than their share of the population would indicate. Don't ask me why this is, because I have no idea; but it certainly does seem to be the case.

And years ago, I found myself riding in a car being driven by someone who was so over-the-top bad that I feared for my life, so much so that after just five minutes, I demanded that she stop and allow me to drive her car, or else I would get out and walk away. Yes, she was Asian. (And yes, she let me do the driving. In fact, she seemed quite relieved that I took over from her. Clearly, driving was not her thing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies