Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Why do you work;if not for profit. I would bet if they told you how to make a million you would do it. So would I.I see no use in siting around whining about the other guy.If bill gates can make billions and give it away he is a better man than me.Everybody else seems to be crying for someone who has it to give it to them for free with no work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:38 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why do you work;if not for profit. I would bet if they told you how to make a million you would do it. So would I.I see no use in siting around whining about the other guy.If bill gates can make billions and give it away he is a better man than me.Everybody else seems to be crying for someone who has it to give it to them for free with no work.
If I knew I was harming someone to gain profit, No I wouldn't. Not for a million, not for a thousand. No crying here. Perfectly satisfied. Glad I have enough options so won't ever be in that position.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:46 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
The thing about corporations is that they generally do both good & bad. To be sure, they provide a needed service- but for a price. And sometimes the price is not properly set.

It's sort of a catch-22 situation.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
If I knew I was harming someone to gain profit, No I wouldn't. Not for a million, not for a thousand. No crying here. Perfectly satisfied. Glad I have enough options so won't ever be in that position.
You harm someone everytime you do anything. You make a hammer to help a homeless family build a house and you hurt the birds and animals who lived in the tree the handle came from, and kill a fish that lived in the stream that got muddied by the mine the iron ore came from. In some form or fashion every action affects someone both good and bad.

You seem to be saying that oil companies are evil because they hurt people, but look at the fact that entire modern economies are based on oil and all of the technology we live with today is derived from that industry and it's spinoffs. Without oil companies we would still depend on whaling for our heating/cooking/lighting fuel and for our industrial lubricants as well as many of our female undergarment components.

In fact, most of the options you enjoy today are solely due to the oil industry and advancements due entirely to those corporations. It is very simplistic to say they are evil because of the harm to some aspects of the world caused by the industries side effects.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
[quote=johnrex62;3141026]You harm someone everytime you do anything. You make a hammer to help a homeless family build a house and you hurt the birds and animals who lived in the tree the handle came from, and kill a fish that lived in the stream that got muddied by the mine the iron ore came from. In some form or fashion every action affects someone both good and bad.

I'm not just talking about OIL companies. And honestly, I can't discuss this with you because when you say birds, animals, as opposed to suffering human beings, it's a complete waste of my time.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:37 PM

418 posts, read 564,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post

I'm not just talking about OIL companies. And honestly, I can't discuss this with you because when you say birds, animals, as opposed to suffering human beings, it's a complete waste of my time.
I understand you perfectly well...

I think that pharma/medical industry is the perfect example of what companies do for profit in USA.

When people get hurt, and patients with cancer etc. are just "numbers" to be refused for profit, it's NOT OK.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
It's true that every action has repercussions as suggested by johnrex62 and though Lillietta and I agree on this major issue, I don't consider the lives of animals to be less valuable than human animals. I get sick when I see the landscapers hacking (they call it "trimming") the trees and bushes!

I think the problem lies in those actions which create tremendous imbalance. The use of oil sets off imbalances in the land, water, and air. The use of pharmaceuticals ignores everything in nature (as if the natural world can't heal us). Furthermore, these industries destroy any competition just to stay in business. The FDA is run by pro-pharma people who would easily label an orange a drug if they could profit from its sale and control its use. Imbalance everywhere!

While "evil" will never be eradicated (this is a free will universe, I'm told), it's best to recognize and acknowledge it when you see it and work towards balancing your actions towards harmony, an ideal state of mind/being that rests balanced between two polarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies