Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:05 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,659 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to get a discussion going about why people think certain things are evil and bad. It seems many Americans think oil, corporations and money are evil. I'm curious why.

Oil companies are just like any other companies. They have found a product that consumers need and they are trying to bring it to the market for cheaper than they can sell it. What is wrong with a company selling a product that we all need?

Corporations are the biggest donors to not-for-profits and charities in the world. Many not-for-profits would go out of business if not for corporate donations. My wife works for a cancer research company funded by Eli-lilly. Big evil pharmaceutical Eli Lilly just happens to be funding their cancer research. Is it that people who don't make it in the corporate world are jealous? I don't get it.

Why is money so evil? The pursuit of money drives us all to be better people. Obviously obsession of money is bad but trying to acquire money often leads many of us to work hard, be creative, do honest work and be responsible. Evil Bill Gates with all his EVIL money donates millions and millions of dollars to charities and 3rd world countries across the planet.

I just think oil companies, corporations in general and money get a bad rap from the public. Curious about your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
That is just people whing because they are not part of the ones that have it. I do believe that money often is power and power corrupts many times.Why is oil so high;the same reason gold is.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
Oil companies are just like any other companies. They have found a product that consumers need and they are trying to bring it to the market for cheaper than they can sell it. What is wrong with a company selling a product that we all need?
What about when the "need" is manufactured and controlled by the company supplying the product? There is technology that makes oil obsolete but it won't be made public because the evil oil companies won't profit from it. Any attempt to create an alternative will be destroyed as it will steal power and profit from them. Pharmaceutical companies also produce a product we "need". These products do not heal, they simply conceal symptoms. These companies are evil because they have only one motive: profit. Health is not on their list of priorities. As long as people continue to believe (and I think TV commercials and advertisements by these companies is highly to blame) that their bodies can't heal themselves or that they need some highly toxic profit-driven product to continue to live, we will have this current situation.

Quote:
Corporations are the biggest donors to not-for-profits and charities in the world. Many not-for-profits would go out of business if not for corporate donations. My wife works for a cancer research company funded by Eli-lilly. Big evil pharmaceutical Eli Lilly just happens to be funding their cancer research. Is it that people who don't make it in the corporate world are jealous? I don't get it.
No amount of research will ever find a cure because there will always be illness. It's a part of life. Their research goes into making products they can make a profit off of. If everyday dandelions were found to contain an ingredient which cured cancer, you'd never know about it because that information would be secreted away. If you're not sick, they can't profit. See, isn't that evil enough for you?

Quote:
Why is money so evil? The pursuit of money drives us all to be better people. Obviously obsession of money is bad but trying to acquire money often leads many of us to work hard, be creative, do honest work and be responsible. Evil Bill Gates with all his EVIL money donates millions and millions of dollars to charities and 3rd world countries across the planet.

I just think oil companies, corporations in general and money get a bad rap from the public. Curious about your thoughts.
Bill Gates just donated some money to Monsanto and other corporations to develop a seed bank in the Svalbard region of Norway above the Arctic Circle. Five million different seeds will be stored in a highly secure vault on a barren island. Why? Because if something happens to mankind, they want to save the seeds so that humanity and plant life can exist. But, wait, Monsanto is also developing genetically modified seeds which produce a crop for one season, then die. If you want more crops you'll have to buy more seeds...from Monsanto. These built-in self-destructing seeds are evil. What Monsanto is really looking for is for them to control the world's food supply. In some future nightmare scenario (perhaps the same one giving rise to the seed vault in Svalbard) they want to dictate which countries eat and which countries starve. Either you pay Monsanto what it wants for your food crop seeds, or you die, simple as that. Ask the Iraqi people who live in the Cradle of Civilization, the Tigris-Euphrates river valley, if they can use the seeds that have been developed there for the past millennium. They can't. American corporations have mandated that Iraq use seeds made in the USA. Inferior crops, inferior food, tremendous profit.

One man's charity is another man's death in disguise.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
What about when the "need" is manufactured and controlled by the company supplying the product? There is technology that makes oil obsolete but it won't be made public because the evil oil companies won't profit from it. Any attempt to create an alternative will be destroyed as it will steal power and profit from them. Pharmaceutical companies also produce a product we "need". These products do not heal, they simply conceal symptoms. These companies are evil because they have only one motive: profit. Health is not on their list of priorities. As long as people continue to believe (and I think TV commercials and advertisements by these companies is highly to blame) that their bodies can't heal themselves or that they need some highly toxic profit-driven product to continue to live, we will have this current situation.

No amount of research will ever find a cure because there will always be illness. It's a part of life. Their research goes into making products they can make a profit off of. If everyday dandelions were found to contain an ingredient which cured cancer, you'd never know about it because that information would be secreted away. If you're not sick, they can't profit. See, isn't that evil enough for you?

Bill Gates just donated some money to Monsanto and other corporations to develop a seed bank in the Svalbard region of Norway, above the Arctic Circle. Five million different seeds will be stored in a highly secure vault on a barren island. Why? Because if something happens to mankind, they want to save the seeds so that humanity and plant life can exist. But, wait, Monsanto is also developing genetically modified seeds which produce a crop for one season, then die. If you want more crops you'll have to buy more seeds...from Monsanto. These built-in self-destructing seeds are evil. What Monsanto is really looking for is for them to control the world's food supply. In some future nightmare scenario (perhaps the same one giving rise to the seed vault in Svalbard) they want to dictate what countries eat and which countries starve. Either you pay Monsanto what it wants for your food crop seeds, or you die, simple as that.

One man's charity is another man's death in disguise.
That's exactly right. Glad it took only 2 posts before we got to the basic/bitter truth. As long as you can capitalize on something, who cares if it harms anyone or not? As long as you get the profits and rewards.

Giving to charities is mandatory for the wealthy. It's a "necessary" tax write-off.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
I am not sure that the surface resentment about money and oil companies is genuine. I just read recently that one of the early brokers of carbon credits in the European market is from California and has earned over 260 million dollars this year in commissions. There are numerous exchanges that deal in these credits now, if only one man makes that much money, how much do the exchanges rake in for selling the right to pollute? They have a product that does not even require production, only intent to utilize. There is no limitation on how many units they sell and if the cost of the credit is supposed to transfer to ecological benefits to offset the pollution liscense they are selling, where does this massive profit come from?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Some kind of evil surely went on that led to Enron declaring bankruptcy.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:09 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
That's exactly right. Glad it took only 2 posts before we got to the basic/bitter truth....
Gee, "bitter" is right. It's sad how much evil people see in the world.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Not all are, but many of them do it for self-serving reasons, not "for the good of mankind".

Some do it on purpose to make profits and sway the consumer.

In the end though, shareholders want to see the bottom line, how much money did this corporation earn for me. They don't care about good will.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Gee, "bitter" is right. It's sad how much evil people see in the world.
That's an interesting observation. It reminds me of a Romanian I met once while visiting that country who described the low birth rate in that country, in the midst of a discussion about the eradication of the Catholic church in Romania by the Communists. He said something I'll never forget: "When there are no monks, something of the monk enters everyone."

Perhaps that has some applicability here. In a culture like contemporary America, where moral and ethical standards, and the notion of spiritual good and evil, are dismissed as a laughable superstitions by so many powerful forces (Hollywood, the mainstream media, etc.), the use of terms like "evil", to describe any person or institution whose economic or political policies or opinions are deemed offensive, become more widespread...

Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's an interesting observation. It reminds me of a Romanian I met once while visiting that country who described the low birth rate in that country, in the midst of a discussion about the eradication of the Catholic church in Romania by the Communists. He said something I'll never forget: "When there are no monks, something of the monk enters everyone."

Perhaps that has some applicability here. In a culture like contemporary America, where moral and ethical standards, and the notion of spiritual good and evil, are dismissed as a laughable superstitions by so many powerful forces (Hollywood, the mainstream media, etc.), the use of terms like "evil", to describe any person or institution whose economic or political policies or opinions are deemed offensive, become more widespread...
I might take it one step further. Many people see this same evil in anything they cannot obtain, anyone who they disagree with and just their plain ol' disposition in life. Now THAT'S the sad part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies