Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,101,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Sugar isn't bad in moderation, corn syrup is a lot worse, problem is that they put it in everything, I mean everything, pizza, cereal, bread, etc..
It's not just that it's in everything. It's a deeper issue than that.

Do you know what would happen if all the corn syrup was replaced with cane sugar? Nutritionally, very little. Corn syrup is only marginally worse for you (all though, apparently in the quantities that most Americans consume it, it is actually quite worse). But the really noticeable effect would be the prices: they'd shoot way up.

The issue with sugar isn't the health concern. We've known for pretty much ever that sugar, in larges doses, is a serious problem. The issue is that it CAN be added to everything precisely because it's dirt cheap. And it's dirt cheap because corn subsidies. And that's why it's not the big issue that it should be. There's money involved.

Bare in mind the justification for these corn subsidies. Corn is a profitable export for the US; them getting free money allows them to produce a lot, and subsequent, generate large profits which do come back to consumers. The question to ask though is if the costs of obesity are actually matched by the societal benefits of a profitable corn industry. I'm guessing no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Fascism -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 09:18 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,797,028 times
Better not be, that's discrimination against me, I smoke plus use 5 sugars in 4 cups of coffee each per day. Btw my cholesterol is awesome, blood pressure is low 100's over mid 50's, and I'm far from overweight.

All of the low fat, non gluten crap is discriminatory against me, who do I need to sue?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,391,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The science is in. Sugar is a proven toxin, and as of now, it's a significant part of our diet. The public is unaware and the food industry isn't going to make adjustments without public outrage. Also, the sugar industry is funding efforts to silence public awareness in the same capacity the tobacco companies did in the 20th century.

What are your thoughts?
Another example of the government screwing things up for all of us.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:43 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,599,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
50 Years Ago, Sugar Industry Quietly Paid Scientists To Point Blame At Fat

It worked pretty well, too.

I'm not sure I'd say sugar is a "proven toxin", as the OP does, though.
I don't think that any food, in its natural state, is a toxin. I think the problem is often overprocessing, substituting fake foods for real ones, and putting in a lot of additives. The only things I try hard to avoid are trans fats and high fructose corn syrup (that one is incredibly difficult, they put that crap in everything), and, with the exception of a diet soda about once a week, artificial sweeteners. Pretty easy for me, overall, as I don't have much of a sweet tooth in the first place.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,310,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It should be high fructose corn syrup.

That toxic crap is added to SO many things these days.

6 Reasons Why High-Fructose Corn Syrup Is Bad for You

From what I've read, the food industry loves it because it's cheaper than sugar and stimulates the hunger response, leading to overeating, which means their sales increase.

BTW...

Does America have an obesity problem?

Could there be a connection?
This is correct. HFCS is the main culprit....not sugar.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:20 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,558,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It should be high fructose corn syrup.

6 Reasons Why High-Fructose Corn Syrup Is Bad for You

From what I've read, the food industry loves it because it's cheaper than sugar and stimulates the hunger response, leading to overeating, which means their sales increase.

Could there be a connection?

The other problem is that sugar can be hidden in our foods under different labels.

Here's an example of some Keep in mind that my wife and myself try to eat all organic but that can be tricky too. Tons of information out there on how the sugar

Food Labels: How to Spot Hidden Sugars | HuffPost

if a manufacturer wants to sweeten up a certain brand of crackers, it can either do this using 15 grams of “sugar†or, 5 grams of “malt syrup,†5 grams of “invert sugar†and 5 grams of “glucoseâ€. Some manufacturers seem to be choosing this divide and masquerade method, placing these ingredients lower down on their products’ lists, making us believe that the amount of sugar in the product is smaller than it is. Bingo!

Agave Nectar
Barley Malt Syrup
Beet Sugar
Brown Rice Syrup
Brown Sugar
Cane Crystals (or, even better, "cane juice crystals")
Cane Sugar
Coconut Sugar, or Coconut Palm Sugar
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup, or corn syrup solids
Dehydrated Cane Juice
Dextrin
Dextrose
Evaporated Cane Juice
Fructose
Fruit juice concentrate
Glucose
High-fructose corn syrup
Honey
Invert sugar
Lactose
Maltodextrin
Malt syrup
Maltose
Maple syrup
Molasses
Palm Sugar
Raw sugar
Rice Syrup
Saccharose
Sorghum or sorghum syrup
Sucrose
Syrup
Treacle
Turbinado Sugar
Xylose

https://www.verywell.com/sugars-many-disguises-2242526

Your body doesn't know how to process the amount and these different types of sugar. Like diet soda it has aspartame your body keep it in your system because it doesn't know what to do with it. So it sits there.

Just my two cents.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:23 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,741,993 times
There's not enough science to prove that any one thing is a "toxin." Just look at all the different diets out there.

Transfats are probably the only thing that's proven to be bad for you.

To answer your question, no sugar will not be the new tobacco.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:38 AM

13,308 posts, read 7,882,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
^^This. I have a condition known as SIBO - small intestine bacterial overgrowth. I can't have high fructose corn syrup at all. The only sweeteners I can have are stevia and good old sugar. It's a pretty limited diet with exceptions made from time to time and with careful consideration. I don't know what I'd do without sugar since that and salt/pepper are about the only spices I can have. Moderation is the key to it all.
A horse will do anything for crack co-cane.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,599,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
A horse will do anything for crack co-cane.
I would argue that sugar is less of a threat than the methane gas released by brain farts.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:08 AM

13,308 posts, read 7,882,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It's not just that it's in everything. It's a deeper issue than that.

Do you know what would happen if all the corn syrup was replaced with cane sugar? Nutritionally, very little. Corn syrup is only marginally worse for you (all though, apparently in the quantities that most Americans consume it, it is actually quite worse). But the really noticeable effect would be the prices: they'd shoot way up.

The issue with sugar isn't the health concern. We've known for pretty much ever that sugar, in larges doses, is a serious problem. The issue is that it CAN be added to everything precisely because it's dirt cheap. And it's dirt cheap because corn subsidies. And that's why it's not the big issue that it should be. There's money involved.

Bare in mind the justification for these corn subsidies. Corn is a profitable export for the US; them getting free money allows them to produce a lot, and subsequent, generate large profits which do come back to consumers. The question to ask though is if the costs of obesity are actually matched by the societal benefits of a profitable corn industry. I'm guessing no.

Surp City, man.

Surp it up, surp it up, Bunny gonna shut you down.

You surper!

Fuel injected carbon, or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhdlV1LbBP0

I'm more a sipper than a surper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies