Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:27 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Never made it from scratch, huh? To offset the bitterness from the spices that are added.
Once, a long time ago. If I had a garden, I probably would. As it stands, it's more cost-effective for me to just get one of the brands I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:31 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Once, a long time ago. If I had a garden, I probably would. As it stands, it's more cost-effective for me to just get one of the brands I like.
I've never understood sugar in pasta sauces, either. I do tend to make it from scratch, when possible - but often that isn't easy or possible.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:02 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,449,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I've never understood sugar in pasta sauces, either. I do tend to make it from scratch, when possible - but often that isn't easy or possible.
It's a misconception people have that it will cut down on the natural acidity of tomatoes.

It doesn't.
All it does is changes the flavor.

It came from older marinara recipes where people would use unripened end of season tomatoes. They where more acidic in taste due to their maturity, to counter this people would add sugar to season the sauce and cut down on the acidic taste created by using unripened fruit.

It was thought it counter balanced the acid, but sugar is not a counter to acid. It holds no scientific merit in this way. It simply flavors the sauce to be more pleasant over the acidic tone you may get when using unripened fruits.

Somehow this went from a "use when needed" ingredient to becoming a staple ingredient in some recipes.

Last edited by rego00123; 08-31-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 12:05 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Some brands list it right after the tomatoes! Might as well use ketchup. *shudder*

Old 08-31-2017, 12:18 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,363,801 times
It probably should be.

This is nothing new.

J. I. Rodale
"One of Rodale's most successful projects was Prevention Magazine, founded in 1950, which promotes practices preventing disease rather than trying to cure it later. It pioneered the return to whole grains, unrefined sweets, using little fat in food preparation, seldom eating animal products, folk cures, herbal medicines, and breastfeeding. It also promoted the consumption of higher than typical amounts of nutritional supplements and forgoing nicotine and caffeine."

From Wiki

I remember him from 1970 in my High School, we were doing a play he wrote. While talking to us in an assembly, he expounded on the dangers of sugar.

The next year, he died of a heart attack. He had a heart murmur his entire life and exemplified a healthy life style because of it. It finally caught up to him.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:26 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
My issue is paying for uninsured diabetics who got that way with 64oz of liquid sugar (slurpees, etc) for 98 cents!

They are free to poison themselves, kill themselves, whatever they want to do... on THEIR dime.
The only ones making bank on this are 7-11, Coke, Pepsico etc. They dance, we pay the band.
Rummy is still pushing his aspartame on everyone. (Must be what this thread is about.)

Sugar is better.

"Glucose, a form of sugar, is the primary source of energy for every cell in the body. Because the brain is so rich in nerve cells, or neurons, it is the most energy-demanding organ, using one-half of all the sugar energy in the body."

Sugar and the Brain | Department of Neurobiology

Old 08-31-2017, 01:57 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
It's a misconception people have that it will cut down on the natural acidity of tomatoes.

It doesn't.
All it does is changes the flavor.

It came from older marinara recipes where people would use unripened end of season tomatoes. They where more acidic in taste due to their maturity, to counter this people would add sugar to season the sauce and cut down on the acidic taste created by using unripened fruit.

It was thought it counter balanced the acid, but sugar is not a counter to acid. It holds no scientific merit in this way. It simply flavors the sauce to be more pleasant over the acidic tone you may get when using unripened fruits.

Somehow this went from a "use when needed" ingredient to becoming a staple ingredient in some recipes.
I start with around two pounds of tomato's I pick up from a stand I drive by, extra virgin Middle Eastern olive oil, a blender, large saucepan and work from there. Each creation depends on whats available. After each creation is made and tasted, sugar is added by the pinch to take out the bitterness. Depending on the added ingredients sugar sits somewhere between one and two teaspoons. Prep and cook time is 30-60 minutes. So on one side I rarely purchase sauce while on the other side I still purchase ketchup (go figure).

Old 08-31-2017, 07:06 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,360 times
Because of my SIBO and very limited diet, I read all labels. I've found alternatives products that have sugar instead of HGCS - Heinze makes two ketchups that have sugar and no HFCS, I've found jelly too, and beverages with real sugar. And because I completely cut out packaged and "convenience" foods, I've omitted all the sugar that comes in those products. I do a lot of my own cooking and when eating out get very plain dishes - meat (usually steak) cooked plain with no sauce, baked potato, etc. I have to eat either sourdough or gluten free (a specific kind - can't have fruit juice in it like a lot of GF does) bread a I'm not that fond of either that often.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
1970s, sugar was the big public health menace. Then they brought out high fructose corn syrup and sugar never looked so good. THAT stuff is poison.
High fructose corn syrup is to sugar what crack is to cocaine and what fentanyl is to codeine.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:11 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,765,000 times
People can eat and drink whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. I really don't care.

But please, please don't act surprised when you develop difficulty breathing after you reach 600 lbs. Then you'll call 911 demanding that "something has to be done". True story.

Same goes for substance abusers: alcoholics and dope fiends.

I'm sick and tired of bad habits and sorry ass choices being labeled epidemics and crises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies