Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is taking groceries in a hurricane looting?
Yes 91 77.12%
No 27 22.88%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:13 AM

330 posts, read 177,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Are you saying that the people who tend to loot stores are single mothers with children?
What would cause you to ask such a stupid question.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:15 AM

50,297 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
If my family is starving my first responsibility is to them. If I do not think I am immediately harming another than yes I take that food
You had a week to prepare. Are people really that stupid?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 AM

50,297 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You do know that there are people that exist who do not have cars, right? A mother may have done everything she could have to stock up before this storm, which had relatively short notice, with many trips to stores via bus or taxi, and still have run out of supplies, or supplies could have been contaminated or soaked in the flooding. Think of diapers. They are no good if they are soaking wet.

A week is more than enough notice. Water rises slowly. More than enough time to move stuff higher. Unless of course, they are a complete idiot.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:33 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I'm talking about a report of a mother who had to walk 5 miles to food with her child strapped to her. I think put in a disaster situation and nothing it open and grocery stores are going to write off everything as a loss, it's permissible. I think if we force someone to starve during a disaster, we have lost our humanity.
Where is the father????

Old 08-31-2017, 10:35 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A week is more than enough notice. Water rises slowly. More than enough time to move stuff higher. Unless of course, they are a complete idiot.
Oh come on. Just look at the flooding in Texas. If you have only a ground floor housing in a severely flooded area, there is a very good chance there is hardly a dry place in an entire house. Remember the people sitting in their attics? On their rooftops? On their cars? Just how much food, or prescriptions, or diapers etc is someone able to keep dry and uncontaminated sitting on top of their car in the pouring rain? Come on, get real. Have some empathy.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You do know that there are people that exist who do not have cars, right? A mother may have done everything she could have to stock up before this storm, which had relatively short notice, with many trips to stores via bus or taxi, and still have run out of supplies, or supplies could have been contaminated or soaked in the flooding. Think of diapers. They are no good if they are soaking wet.
They don't have a car, do they know? If so I suspect they plan accordingly. Ever hear of grocery delivery? Amazing modern invention, you hear you might be hit by a storm in a few days, you go online and order from your local grocery store and they bring it right to your door, how cool is that? You can even use Amazon for this too. Hell you can buy MRE's on eBay and have them delivered too and they work just fine after submersion as before.

Having a car is no excuse, flooding doesn't happen immediately, you're not sitting there watching Judge Judy one minute and under 4' of water the next. If you're on a ground floor apartment ask the guy on the first floor to crash, you have food.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:09 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
It's theft but I don't consider it looting. After a hurricane, the power is sometimes out for weeks and the stores aren't open. How are you going to eat? Feed your kids? Looting is stealing crap that's not going to keep you alive, like a 50 inch tv or sneakers. WTF are you going to do with a tv if the power is out? Why do you need new sneakers if the area is flooded? You can't walk in them. LOL

Old 08-31-2017, 11:12 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
They don't have a car, do they know? If so I suspect they plan accordingly. Ever hear of grocery delivery? Amazing modern invention, you hear you might be hit by a storm in a few days, you go online and order from your local grocery store and they bring it right to your door, how cool is that? You can even use Amazon for this too. Hell you can buy MRE's on eBay and have them delivered too and they work just fine after submersion as before.

Having a car is no excuse, flooding doesn't happen immediately, you're not sitting there watching Judge Judy one minute and under 4' of water the next. If you're on a ground floor apartment ask the guy on the first floor to crash, you have food.
There are millions of urban and rural Americans who do not have internet access. Or elderly people that do not know how to use the internet. Millions more that do not own a computer or a smart phone.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:17 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
I voted "yes" because if they are taking stuff without paying and the store they are taking from has not authorized them to take items without paying, then I consider that looting.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:37 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We do - actually we way overdo, could live a couple of months on what's currently in the pantry and garage, and we have a generator - but like I said: hungry family/neighbors.
Not everyone has the resources to stockpile a month's worth of food. In a catastrophe, we'd share with them then go foraging (and risk the consequences) when supplies run out . YMMV.
I live in Southern CA, as you know we have had our share of disasters, last winter horrific rains, had water coming in the house from all directions.

I learned the hard way after the Northridge quake of 94( 3 miles from the epicenter) to keep flashlights, food, gas in the car, etc. We had no power for 3 days, couldn't drink or bathe in the water.

Anyone can keep at least a few days supply of food on hand. Many today don't have any savings, but they have their $5 Starbucks 5 times a week.

I understand many can't afford to have a full pantry with a three month supply of food on hand, but you can keep some canned goods(tuna fish for example), beans, bottled water, small amount of cash on hand(when a debit/credit/EBT card can't work).

You can't rely on the govt or rescue workers to always be there to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies