Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,662,514 times

Advertisements

Yesterday the Trump administration halted a key equal pay initiative put in place by the Obama administration.

"The scrapped provision would have required large employers to report aggregate information on how much they pay workers ― broken down by gender, race and ethnicity ― and would have been a critical first step in figuring out the scope of the pay gap at different companies.

On average, women in the U.S. are paid 80 cents for every dollar men earn, according to federal data. The pay gap for women of color is even worse. Hispanic women earn 54 cents on the dollar, while black women make 63 cents. Even when researchers analyze the data and account for differences in education and time spent in the labor force, the wage gap persists. "

Guess equal pay for equal work isn't a Trump administration policy.

With Ivanka Trump's Blessing, White House Ditches Equal Pay Rule | HuffPost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 02:40 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,113,676 times
That's terrific. This was not a real problem and the White House should not have been asking this information

Old 08-31-2017, 02:48 PM

52,700 posts, read 34,630,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

Guess equal pay for equal work isn't a Trump administration policy.
got any evidence women don't get equal pay for equal work?

Old 08-31-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
That's terrific. This was not a real problem and the White House should not have been asking this information
It's a real problem if you're a woman paid unfairly less than a man is for the same work.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
got any evidence women don't get equal pay for equal work?

https://www.dol.gov/wb/images/EqualPay_infographic.pdf

https://iwpr.org/publications/gender...ace-ethnicity/

Old 08-31-2017, 03:06 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,695,777 times
Good.

It was yet another example of goverment overreach created by the incompetent community agitator who never held a real job a day in his life. Pointless reporting like this represents a huge unnecessary cost to business.

Policies such as this are the reason the Democrat party was devastated while Obama was in office.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:09 PM

13,995 posts, read 5,650,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It's a real problem if you're a woman paid unfairly less than a man is for the same work.
One of the most repeated, yet debunked lies ever propagated.

The Pay Gap Myth and Other Lies That Won’t Die

What’s Behind the Gender Wage Gap

The Female Wage Gap Is a Major Economic Myth

And oh by the way, actually paying a woman 77 cents for the exact same job you would pay a man to do would violate an existing federal law called The Equal Pay Act of 1963.

One of the biggest myths going, and it is the root of my argument in the race pay gap as well. That 77% number is devoid of any difference relating to employment other than gender. When the details are examined, the difference all but disappears and in many cases the women outperform men for the same job.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:10 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,291,973 times
So Ivanka lied at the RNC when making her impassioned case for how she and her father would fight side by for equal pay? How utterly surprising!

"...Speaking at the Republican National Convention last week, Donald Trump's eldest daughter delivered a speech that laid out what her father has done for women during the course of his career—and what he would do for women if he were to be elected president. She said that the GOP nominee would "fight" for equal pay, affordable childcare and other policies to support working women..."

Ivanka Trump's RNC Promises to Women vs. the Republican Platform | Fortune.com

Old 08-31-2017, 03:10 PM

27,696 posts, read 16,186,489 times
WhoTF designed that link, Sesame Street?

Old 08-31-2017, 03:15 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,667,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Are you a woman or a man?

Actually, I think it would be helpful for everyone replying to this to respond to this question.

Because I'd be more inclined to believe that women are treated 100% equally in the workplace if women tell me so.

I'm a woman (and so is my daughter). I've been working for over 40 years. In my experience and that of my daughter, things have definitely improved for women in the workforce, but == again, in my experience--- employers still have a ways to go when it comes to 100% equal pay for equal work between men and women. .

Of course, that's just my opinion. You are welcome to give your opinion.

But, if we're going to only use opinions, and not factual data, then we should all give context for how our personal experiences have shaped our opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies