Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:45 AM

764 posts, read 235,214 times

Advertisements

I find that the easiest way to get a good candidate for the job is to sit down and go over your expectations face to face. I find that when I inform applicants that I do not tolerate lateness or excess absenteeism and there is NO phone usage on the clock most of them agree that they are not a good fit. No harm no foul........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 09:51 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
What you call entitlement, others may view as an unfulfilled promises. It's not simply that people expect to earn a living wage out of college: they were explicitly told that they would, and every previous generation enjoyed that benefit. We have come to a point where salaries won't even pay the student loans that go along with the degrees that the positions require. Entitlement is thinking that manufacturing in mining jobs that pay 60,000 should be available for the unskilled and uneducated.
LOL you were sold a bill of goods and you bought it. I have a co-worker. She was an art major. She was told how her degree would result in a high paying job. Took the loans and guess what? I am her boss. The jobs aren't there for that field. Every previous generation started at the bottom and worked their way up. Define living wage? Engineers absolutely start well. It all depends on the field.

Entitlement is expecting the big bucks with no real experience. Or a burger flipper expecting to be paid what a Automotive Tech gets paid. Sucks to be a burger flipper. Do something about it. Every previous generation had to.
I agree with you on what Colleges and councilors promise v.s reality. The female co-worker I spoke of told me how she was sold a lie. Colleges are a business and they certainly get away with a lot of false advertising for a very expensive product.
I am anything but anti-college degree. A good Education is always a plus. I look at our system v.s what they do overseas. They don't load up the curriculum with useless electives or studies that have little if anything to do with the major, to get a degree. Do you suppose our colleges do it to make money? I never went to college so I don't know first hand. My son and daughter both went. Fortunately they both are doing well. I made them both work in the summer and part time to help pay for their studies. My goal was to help them get that work/ life experience.
I am truly sad for the kids who were lied to. The ones who were told get this degree and start at 100g a year.
Not so different than those people sold on tech schools. Learn to be a nurses aid. Many start at $20 an hour. Yeah maybe in NYC, but not in small town America.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:55 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
That might be your reality, but it is not everyone's. By you writing off an entire age bracket, that is discrimination against anyone under 30. If you were the hiring manager, you could be passing up on great employees all because you have this mental image that everyone under 30 is lazy, always late, etc.
Who said I write them off? Prefer doesn't = eliminate....
I also prefer veterans. Better disciplined and normally very trainable. I prefer veterans over all others.
I train whom ever I am assigned to train. 26 years of experience has taught me and proven to me what to expect in general. As I said there are always exceptions. I don't recall calling anyone lazy.

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
This is true. In 1984, I worked as a secretary/ administrative assistant. No college degree, and the pay was $8/hour.

During the 2008 recession, I saw an ad on a local jobs board: secretary/ administrative assistant. Pay: $8/hour. And they demanded that the applicant have a bachelor's degree.

That's not just wage stagnation, it's wage regression.
I see things like this all the time, and I have a bit of news for those who think it's only recent graduates who hate it. It's just as bad for an older person attempting to re-enter the workforce. I can hardly believe it's 2017 when I see figures like this, it's like having a flashback.

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
There are 6 million unfilled jobs in America, and employers claim that there aren't enough skilled workers, but the truth is, businesses have set their basic requirements far too high, and they wages offered are too low. During the Great Recession so many people were desperate for work that 10 year professionals with Masters degrees were taking 40k jobs. Corporations have not come to terms with the fact that this is no longer a reality. Gone are the days when people with 5+ years of experience were looking for entry-level jobs. You either have to pay the salaries commensurate with the background you want OR be willing to hire recent grads/career changers/people with limited experience. Yes, there are some fields where we really don't have enough skilled candidates, but the reality is that most positions remain unfilled because employers want the PERFECT candidate but aren't willing to pay for it.

Keep demanding 8 years of experience for work that requires 1-2. Keep requiring Masters degrees and paying 50k. Keep asking for bachelors degrees for tasks that any HS grad could do with 2 weeks of OJT. And keep complaining about this so-called skills gap.
I've said this before multiple times. You can thank the business grads who became the desk jockeys in corporate who mandated a college degree to do anything, plus requiring 3-5 years relevant expirience.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Keep demanding 8 years of experience for work that requires 1-2. Keep requiring Masters degrees and paying 50k. Keep asking for bachelors degrees for tasks that any HS grad could do with 2 weeks of OJT. And keep complaining about this so-called skills gap.
I was applying for jobs earlier this year and I witnessed this so many times. "Entry level" positions, yet when you read the description, they require 3+ years of experience. I also saw posts requiring Master's degrees, yet with a salary of $40-50K. Unless you got an MA in underwater basket weaving, someone with a MA should be making at least $50K.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:13 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I would guess they think it weeds out undesirable types.
We always hired people with qualifications and/or experience appropriate to the position. Many applicants were over qualified, over educated, or "oddly" educated for certain positions. We never found a receptionist undesirable because she was lacking a four year degree.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Exactly. Employers refuse to hire anyone except their idea of the perfect candidate. Which usually means the employer wants someone under age 30 with 5+ years of experience and a graduate degree willing to work 60 hour weeks for 40k a year.
At my old job it was even worse. There were jobs trying to pay around $32k wanting 5+ years of experience and a degree. They would wonder why they could not get stellar applicants. Then they decreased the pay to under $30k for some positions. Are you kidding. They would usually get people in their 20s who would last a really short time before quitting because there were no raises and limited promotion potential.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:23 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
The people with Masters degrees aren't on welfare. They simply aren't taking those 40-50k jobs anymore. The people on welfare are those without bachelors degrees who could be doing the jobs which now demand degrees. The people who have graduated but don't have the experience to got the jobs they trained for are also on welfare.
When my husband was laid off in a restructuring last year, he passed on many tech jobs before finally accepting one that met his salary requirement. Upon reflection, he said there seems to be a disconnect between what companies expect to pay for the level of education and experience they're demanding and what people with those skills will accept. Fortunately, we had the resources to ride it out for a couple of months until he found what he wanted, and he's happy with his new company, but it's a weird time. Some tech employers are living in a time warp. This is not 2008 any more, and high-quality tech people are not desperate for work. The recruiters know it, and they seem almost embarrassed by what they're offering. More than once, my spouse said quite bluntly, "You are not going to find someone with those qualifications for the package you have on the table," and the response was always a resigned, "I know. Thank you for your time."

Old 09-01-2017, 10:28 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
When my husband was laid off in a restructuring last year, he passed on many tech jobs before finally accepting one that met his salary requirement. Upon reflection, he said there seems to be a disconnect between what companies expect to pay for the level of education and experience they're demanding and what people with those skills will accept. Fortunately, we had the resources to ride it out for a couple of months until he found what he wanted, and he's happy with his new company, but it's a weird time. Some tech employers are living in a time warp. This is not 2008 any more, and high-quality tech people are not desperate for work. The recruiters know it, and they seem almost embarrassed by what they're offering. More than once, my spouse said quite bluntly, "You are not going to find someone with those qualifications for the package you have on the table," and the response was always a resigned, "I know. Thank you for your time."
I've seen listings for full-stack developers with CS degrees and 3 to 5 years experience paying 50-60k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies