Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 04:58 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Science isn't about a 'consensus'. That is how I know you are political, you talk about science like a political person, not like a person interested in science. Moreover, there isn't any consensus that there is caustastrophic global warming happening. That is a Democrat party talking point.

I point out there are scientists that are deniers, and you flippantly dismiss them. The only scientific opinion you are interested in is the ones that validate your opinions.

I know that in SC< the weather is similar now to how it was back in the 1980s. This is empirical evidence that there is no global warming happening yet I'm supposed to deny my own experience.
Clearly, you don't understand what "consensus" means in the scientific community:

‘There is no consensus’–If this is not consensus, what would consensus look like? | Grist

And please stop projecting your own political bias onto me. Your "Democrat party talking point" argument is getting tedious. Again, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AMERICAN POLITICS. THE WORLD IS MUCH BIGGER THAN THE UNITED STATES.

Also? Weather is not climate. Your anecdotal personal experience of weather changes is irrelevant to the reality of scientific inquiry or fact on global climate change.

‘It’s cold today in Wagga Wagga’–Weather and climate are different | Grist

Old 09-04-2017, 05:12 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, I think that I probably have more science education than you and other global warming alarmists who like to use the denier rhetoric.

I've noticed that the most passionate global warming alarmists are generally people who majored in a liberal arts program.

He didn't buy the global warming alarmism, despite what you said. I love pointing this out after liberals have gushed over him and portrayed him as the smartest person to ever walk this earth.

I love your implied premise that conservatives or 'deniers' hate nature and animals. I never stated or implied Carlin did not like nature and animals.
Correct. The entire theme of his thing on the planet is that it's been around 4 billion years, and that humans are way too arrogant in thinking that they are any real threat to the planet.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Actually, he wasn't a global warming denier. That shtick was against smug, self-righteous environmentalists who didn't really care about the planet, but who cared only about their own comfort, and who weren't really willing to make real sacrifices.
So, the vast majority of them.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, the vast majority of them.
I would say so, yes.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Correct. The entire theme of his thing on the planet is that it's been around 4 billion years, and that humans are way too arrogant in thinking that they are any real threat to the planet.
It's hopeless. Yes, you're right: the Democrats and the rest of the vast majority of the world's population are engaged in a nefarious scheme to fool the U.S. Republicans and their party. Only American Republicans know the truth about climate change (greatly assisted by FOX News and the proliferation of right-wing, looney-tune blogs and websites--but whatever): it's all one big hoax, and meant to undercut the Republican party and America itself. Yep, okay. Gotcha'.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:35 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
I love it how people who think that CO2 is going to cause an environmental doomsday try to make out skeptics out as crazy.

It is the end of the world but I feel fine.

If CO2 didn't cause a doomsday yesterday or today, it isn't likely to cause one tomorrow. I don't understand why people who are obviously paranoid are said to be the guardians of science and reason.

Moreover, predictions about future climate are not science. You can't prove a prediction about future climate is right. It is speculation. Weather forecasts are often wrong so the idea that scientists can predict climate years in advance is absurd.

The global warming alarmists act like their global warming doomsday theory is established science like Newton's laws of physics.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:47 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
George was a great comedian in his early days.

The last years of his life he was bitter and cynical. He lost his humor.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:53 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Well, that's right. The planet will be fine. We won't be. Global warming is a threat to our species' long-term survival. Sure it may damage the environment in the short-term, but in the long-term the Earth will be fine. Mother nature can dispose of us pretty easily.

As for the thread topic, Carlin is a legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I love Carlin too, RIP....this is one of my favs while on the Carlin subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
That's one of my favorite stand-up bits too.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:09 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
The R fallback position in the event that global warming is real is that the Rapture will happen soon and the Lord will call his followers home.

That makes it easy to justify raping the planet as you damn well please until then.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,690 times
Carlin on 'Stuff' is awesome...
I also cannot have someone on the highway fly by me without thinking of Carlin's
"Everyone going faster than me is a maniac, everyone going slower is a moron!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies