Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 10:40 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"However more recently I have met some that I trust who say that they indeed were spit upon and had garbage thrown at them.

Regardless, if they were not spit upon literally, they certainly were figuratively. At the very least, returning servicemen if not vilified, were certainly not well received. Most tried to slip quietly into a normal pattern and tried to hide the fact they served in Vietnam, to avoid the anger and disdain of many."

https://www.quora.com/Why-were-the-V...-it-was-unfair

Did you also try to hide the fact you served in Vietnam? What a f**ked up time...

No. I never tried to hide it. I was proud of my service and remain so today. So many did not want to hear that side. I put it right in their face...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 10:51 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
BS.............I was spit on in the airport in Oakland ,California in early march 1972 by two teenage girls who also called me a "baby killer" It happened.
Hundreds claimed to be spit on at California`s airports but there are no records of police ever being called to settle a disturbance involving veterans. Not one (1). The research has been done.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...Spitting_Image

Old 09-30-2017, 11:20 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Hundreds claimed to be spit on at California`s airports but there are no records of police ever being called to settle a disturbance involving veterans. Not one (1). The research has been done.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...Spitting_Image

Ya. I get it. Your basically saying I'm a liar............How many of those "researchers" were Vietnam veterans?

Old 09-30-2017, 11:34 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
I believe that many vets were spit on and verbally abused at Oakland from what I've heard from others. I was a Marine Embassy Guard in 1969 and we were allowed to leave Vietnam on a civilian Pan Am flight and in civilian clothes flying in to San Francisco. I had just gotten married and it was my wife's first flight ever traveling to a foreign country and leaving her family. I'll never forget Vietnam and our people who fought and died there.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:41 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
No. I never tried to hide it. I was proud of my service and remain so today. So many did not want to hear that side. I put it right in their face...........
Seems most of the people I've ever known considered your ilk A VOID DEAD.

No frag, just fact.

A lawyer once told me, "avoid" was legal, "evade" was illegal.

He was telling me something about my tax situation.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:42 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The reason we were in Vietnam in the first place was thanks to Eisenhower(R). We had been sending American advisors into Vietnam for decades by time Johnson finally came along.
The reason we were in Vietnam in the first place was thanks to Truman (D). He was the first to send advisors and fund the French effort retake Indochina. JFK (D) increased the number of military personnel in Vietnam from roughly 1,000 to roughly 16,000. LBJ (D), well, you know the rest.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:56 AM

587 posts, read 304,635 times
Unfortunately 58k of Americas best gave their lives in Vietnam..

Old 09-30-2017, 12:04 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You don't say? Wow.
LOL! Whereas you popped out of the womb wearing a staid 3-piece suit and have made placid, reasonable posts about Donald Trump every since. Get out of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Nice post. Thank you. Regarding this I put in bold from your comment, about what makes you angry, I caution you about reading a good many comments in this forum...
Oh, I've read them. Just more junk - mostly from the Breitbart crowd. Read and dismiss. Or for especially egregious posters use the handy CD "Ignore" feature.

It's just in the context of this thread, I really can't think of a more foolish accusation.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:20 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
BS.............I was spit on in the airport in Oakland ,California in early march 1972 by two teenage girls who also called me a "baby killer" It happened.
It was shameful, and thank God the nation learned from that. I don't think it will ever happen again. I am glad the documentary included the anti-war protester apologizing for her words and actions.

I liked the scene where the NY construction workers sent 70 protesters to the hospital. I had not heard about that before.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:27 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Ya. I get it. Your basically saying I'm a liar............How many of those "researchers" were Vietnam veterans?
The author of the book Jeremy Lembcke is a Vietnam vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies