Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 02:38 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
They don't have a problem with Irish-Americans wabing the Irish flag all day long but let a Mexican-American or a Haitian-American do it and it's a problem. It's all about whose presence and culture they feel threatened by.
Yes - it's quite transparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Your problem is your grouping all of Christianity as the same culture. This thread is postulating that multi-culturalism is an issue. A major reason people came to this land was for religious freedom from other "Christian" religions. So apparently all these Christians do not get along. You cannot rewrite history.

I wasn't the one who brought up religion in the first place someone else did. I never said that all Christians are from the same culture either. I don't know where you are getting that I'm re-writing history. It's just a fact that Christianity is the dominant religion in this country, however.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:45 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
You're right, America was multicultural from the beginning and continues to be. But those people you described were European who would eventual assimilate to the newly formed "American culture" based on Christian/Judeo beliefs. Laws written including the Constitution would come from that basis.

For the record, I am not a white nationalist and I'm not trying to forward any agenda. I simply see a country being torn apart from the inside out by ever so growing groups of anti American sentiments.

You are definitely pushing an agenda and you could at least be honest about it. This is hardly your first post. You see what your biases predispose you to see, nothing more, nothing less. You see problems with multiculturalism because YOU have problems with it. I'm not Christian and couldn't care less about "Christian beliefs". They're not mine. I was still born in America and am still America. Who are you to be the arbiter of anything? You don't speak for me. You speak for a narrow-minded, paranoid demographic that seems to be doing nothing more than waving their arms at windmills because of their ridiculous fears. America is a better country than you, sir.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So are denying that we are a dominantly Christian country? Really? Where did I say that one couldn't practice any religion they wished in this country? Who's being discriminated against?
If you had all been born in Saudi Arabia, you'd be Muslim. If you had been born in India, you'd probably be Hindu. There is nothing special about being Christian in America. The true test of a good person is actually doing the right thing and treating people different from you well DESPITE their differences in race, ethnicity, gender, orientation, religion, etc., a lesson completely lost on so many. Humanity could be so much better because we have the ability to choose. Instead, we waste the preciousness of life trying to find petty, meaningless divides.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:46 PM

431 posts, read 257,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You are definitely pushing an agenda and you could at least be honest about it. This is hardly your first post. You see what your biases predispose you to see, nothing more, nothing less. You see problems with multiculturalism because YOU have problems with it. I'm not Christian and couldn't care less about "Christian beliefs". They're not mine. I was still born in America and am still America. Who are you to be the arbiter of anything? You don't speak for me. You speak for a narrow-minded, paranoid demographic that seems to be doing nothing more than waving their arms at windmills because of their ridiculous fears. America is a better country than you, sir.

Pushing the agenda would be protesting/rioting for pathetic twisted issues that are pushed by popular culture in todays society. Crying like many snow flake brain washed college students that are being taught politically correct subjects and emotionally self centered anarchist that feel self or no government is the answer.

You're calling me a narrow minded paranoid gun waving.. chasing you up a flag pole with a bible.. religious fanatic. You even sound half way patriotic by stating America is better than me. Since we've determined we don't like each other, I'll simply state this....Your opinion of a utopia in America or any other country in the world is driven by the misplaced notion that human beings are good by nature, but we are not.

Look at babies, they cry and throw temper tantrums if they don't get their way. They must be taught and disciplined to grow up to be good decent and productive individuals. Their soul or personality will dictate what they ultimately do with these disciplines they learn; such as being kind, being excepting, tolerant, sympathetic and helpful to fellow human beings.

These traits vary from culture to culture. Certain Asian and Western European cultures have hundreds if not thousands of years of developing a people as I stated. If an outsider comes trying to change things, I doubt they will be very kind or tolerant (just ask any gay person in Iran).

America (the U.S) is the greatest nation on earth in my humble opinion. It is because it was once able to take all the cultures from different people and backgrounds and create a solid American identity. Despite its many flaws, America and its people had a true sense of patriotism. Now, its offensive to some people to even fly the flag or say the pledge of elegance. There are cities that want to incorporate Sharia law. Millionaire athletes playing a game for a living are yelling for racial equality and reparations for social injustices of the past. Political parties box you into convenient quadrants to show one America versus the other (blacks, immigrants, LGBT, Women's rights vs Conservatives)

America IS a better country than me. That's why my parents and I came here, so America could give us the opportunity to change our fortunes, not us change America; and I appreciate what the American way has done for me as a legal immigrant. I hope that's not too arbitrary for you.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:14 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
I agree, actually. The older generation of immigrants--of all races, from all places--accept their new nation and attempted to integrate. All first-generation immigrant groups balkanize, with subsequent generations fully integrated. This new wave of immigrants, however, seem bound and determined to identify first with their homeland/language of origin, bemoaning the fact that they are unfairly "alienated" in the United States, by race, cultural identity, etc. Well, of course they are: that sort of comes with the territory of being an immigrant, wherever you emigrate to. Look at the stacks of immigrant identity-politics fiction being published today: "Oh, woe is me! I am a put-upon immigrant from fill-in-the-blank. Nobody looks like me, speaks my family's language or practices my cultural traditions, and everybody is so mean. I am a marginalized outsider: please give me a medal." It's nauseating, really. You'd think they were the first immigrants to ever set foot on American soil.

My family were immigrants. Peasants who lived on the streets as orphans for yearsduring WWII, witnessed (and sometimes experienced) unimaginable suffering. Somehow, they made it to the U.S., worked 12 hours/day in demanding jobs (maintenance, shoe repair, etc.), still made it a priority to take English lessons at night, and continued to work very hard to become American. There was no whining about their difficulties or being "different," no insistence that Americans pay to teach their children English (they saw that as their job), no whining about how "unfair" life was; nor did they insist on the absurdity that "we are all immigrants." Later in his life, my uncle was disgusted with the new immigrant. I asked him once if he missed living in his country of origin (he still visited it from time to time and, having grown up there, the culture was always a part of him), and he answered (I'm paraphrasing), "America is my country. This is the country that accepted me and gave me options--saved my life, really. These new immigrants, they have no backbone, they don't want to be American. They just want to take what they can take and give nothing back, hold on to their old lives. This country will not survive that."

Old 09-22-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Short term, say in 50 years, I will bet America culture will resemble Western European culture. Ubiquitous Muslim terrorism, high unemployment for the young, laws against free speech, minimal upward mobility for workers, and slow economic growth. I also predict Americans will have universal European style healthcare and lots and lots of tribal 'diversity'. I won't be around to see if I'm right, gratefully.
I'm afraid you are probably right. The selfish part of me says the same, I wont be around so who cares. But I do worry about my children and their children.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I agree, actually. The older generation of immigrants--of all races, from all places--accept their new nation and attempted to integrate. All first-generation immigrant groups balkanize, with subsequent generations fully integrated. This new wave of immigrants, however, seem bound and determined to identify first with their homeland/language of origin, bemoaning the fact that they are unfairly "alienated" in the United States, by race, cultural identity, etc. Well, of course they are: that sort of comes with the territory of being an immigrant, wherever you emigrate to. Look at the stacks of immigrant identity-politics fiction being published today: "Oh, woe is me! I am a put-upon immigrant from fill-in-the-blank. Nobody looks like me, speaks my family's language or practices my cultural traditions, and everybody is so mean. I am a marginalized outsider: please give me a medal." It's nauseating, really. You'd think they were the first immigrants to ever set foot on American soil.

My family were immigrants. Peasants who lived on the streets as orphans for yearsduring WWII, witnessed (and sometimes experienced) unimaginable suffering. Somehow, they made it to the U.S., worked 12 hours/day in demanding jobs (maintenance, shoe repair, etc.), still made it a priority to take English lessons at night, and continued to work very hard to become American. There was no whining about their difficulties or being "different," no insistence that Americans pay to teach their children English (they saw that as their job), no whining about how "unfair" life was; nor did they insist on the absurdity that "we are all immigrants." Later in his life, my uncle was disgusted with the new immigrant. I asked him once if he missed living in his country of origin (he still visited it from time to time and, having grown up there, the culture was always a part of him), and he answered (I'm paraphrasing), "America is my country. This is the country that accepted me and gave me options--saved my life, really. These new immigrants, they have no backbone, they don't want to be American. They just want to take what they can take and give nothing back, hold on to their old lives. This country will not survive that."

Well said...and I agree with most of your points. I will however say that the mentality of the modern day immigrant (especially from Latin America) is influenced by todays media and their target to gain the trust of the viewers. Spanish language channels like Univision and Telemundo and others will only show one side of certain political topics, thus fueling the mindset of being a "marginalized outsider" as you put it. The power of social media also plants falsehoods in peoples minds and there are plenty of politicians and lawyers that will continue to stir that pot demanding America change for them.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:39 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
Pushing the agenda would be protesting/rioting for pathetic twisted issues that are pushed by popular culture in todays society. Crying like many snow flake brain washed college students that are being taught politically correct subjects and emotionally self centered anarchist that feel self or no government is the answer.

You're calling me a narrow minded paranoid gun waving.. chasing you up a flag pole with a bible.. religious fanatic. You even sound half way patriotic by stating America is better than me. Since we've determined we don't like each other, I'll simply state this....Your opinion of a utopia in America or any other country in the world is driven by the misplaced notion that human beings are good by nature, but we are not.

Look at babies, they cry and throw temper tantrums if they don't get their way. They must be taught and disciplined to grow up to be good decent and productive individuals. Their soul or personality will dictate what they ultimately do with these disciplines they learn; such as being kind, being excepting, tolerant, sympathetic and helpful to fellow human beings.

These traits vary from culture to culture. Certain Asian and Western European cultures have hundreds if not thousands of years of developing a people as I stated. If an outsider comes trying to change things, I doubt they will be very kind or tolerant (just ask any gay person in Iran).

America (the U.S) is the greatest nation on earth in my humble opinion. It is because it was once able to take all the cultures from different people and backgrounds and create a solid American identity. Despite its many flaws, America and its people had a true sense of patriotism. Now, its offensive to some people to even fly the flag or say the pledge of elegance. There are cities that want to incorporate Sharia law. Millionaire athletes playing a game for a living are yelling for racial equality and reparations for social injustices of the past. Political parties box you into convenient quadrants to show one America versus the other (blacks, immigrants, LGBT, Women's rights vs Conservatives)

America IS a better country than me. That's why my parents and I came here, so America could give us the opportunity to change our fortunes, not us change America; and I appreciate what the American way has done for me as a legal immigrant. I hope that's not too arbitrary for you.

Nice post.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post

Sorry, but no. Recent groups of immigrants integrate at the same pace as previous immigrants. Whatever your perception may be, it's factually incorrect and is mere more fodder for paranoia and racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies