Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,024,319 times

Advertisements

A "PTSD dog" that a grown man needs to bring everywhere for comfort, wow. And they call us the snowflakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 09:33 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
A "PTSD dog" that a grown man needs to bring everywhere for comfort, wow. And they call us the snowflakes
Ignorant comment to say the least. I bet you think suicidal people are weak too.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,419,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have to agree to disagree.

In this case, I think this lady only has herself to blame.
This.

Had she not thrown such a childish temper tantrum no one would be blaming her for anything. Nor do I believe her in her subsequent interview in which she claimed racial slurs were thrown at her.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,885,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Isn't respect earned ? One simply doesn't get it just because of skin color. And since you went there, I'm going to throw my two cents in, flame me if you want.
I live in Metro Detroit, and my city is very diverse one. I happen to live next to a sports bar /restaurant and I can with out a doubt tell you which patrons are louder on a regular basis. Also, the damn music. Why is there a need to drive thru the parking lot with bass hits so strong that it vibrates my windows and sets car alarms off in the parking lot ? Granted, I do like hip hop, but not all do. Do white people go driving by their houses blasting Taylor Swift ? I referenced people talking loudly on the phone in public a few posts back. 9 times out of 10 it is a black woman talking on speaker phone like there isn't a care in the world. I'm sorry, what happened 200 years ago, and all the segregation in the 40's and 50's doesn't entitle people to do as they please.
Is this every black person, absolutely not. But in my area it seems to be the majority, and in my area it is probably close to a 30/70% black white ratio.
Some of it is about being treated unfairly and the frustration that goes with it. When people are not treated fairly they have a tendency to be loud. Granted it doesn't excuse the behavior. But it is human nature.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,696,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Since you are grossly uninformed, here are a few links that should widen your horizons.

https://www.americanhumane.org/initi...-for-veterans/

https://neads.org/service-dogs/service-dogs-veterans

Canine Angels Service Dogs | Service dogs for veterans with PTSD

Service Dogs for Veterans with PTSD are trained to help veterans cope with symptoms of PTSD. These dogs help with:

Overcoming fear of public places
Coping with anxiety triggers

Reintegration into a civilian setting
Developing feelings of being safe
Overcoming sleep issues
Coping with flashbacks
Turning light switches on and off
Providing boundary assistance in trigger situations
Providing therapeutic support through tactical exercises

I don't understand how making a disparaging comment about this veteran could make you feel better about yourself. Veterans are dying from PTSD at the rate of 20 per day.

https://www.militarytimes.com/vetera...cide-each-day/

Old 09-23-2017, 12:17 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
There is an old saying that if you want a trusted friend then get a dog.

I have a mild case of PTSD. It just makes me more alert but does not force me to sit in the backyard with a shotgun on my lap. I have a few trusted human friends so I do not need a dog. Yet.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:22 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Since you are grossly uninformed, here are a few links that should widen your horizons.

Service Dogs for Veterans with PTSD are trained to help veterans cope with symptoms of PTSD. These dogs help with:

Overcoming sleep issues
Coping with flashbacks

I don't understand how making a disparaging comment about this veteran could make you feel better about yourself. Veterans are dying from PTSD at the rate of 20 per day.

Exactly.

The animals draw out even the most isolated personality, and having to praise the animals helps traumatized veterans overcome emotional numbness. Teaching the dogs service commands develops a patient’s ability to communicate, to be assertive but not aggressive, a distinction some struggle with. The dogs can also assuage the hypervigilance common in vets with PTSD. Some participants report they finally got some sleep knowing that a naturally alert soul was standing watch.

A real service dog is not a shoulder to cry on. (far from it) Just because one does't suffer from PTSD, doesn't mean they are stronger. Plus, PTSD affects people differently. The most important step to take is to get help.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-23-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 03:12 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post

Overcoming sleep issues
Coping with flashbacks

Per the Vet, who stated during his interview, this dog is for overcoming sleep issues. Why is it at the restaurant?

Old 09-23-2017, 04:19 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,957,263 times
Jesus Christ, I couldn't stomach more than two seconds of that video before hitting the stop button. Here is proof positive animals are more civilized than people.

That piece of human garbage is nastier than any animal I have ever seen.
She don't belong in any restaurant or place of business. The jungle is a better place for her.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:21 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,482 times
I won't defend the way this woman acted, but I don't like the dogs allowed everywhere thing. I stay off the animal forum and get grossed out when any thread talks too much in detail about dogs. I think they're really gross. I don't own one. Breaks my heart to know of a living creature hurting or abused, but they aren't human and shouldn't be absolutely everywhere humans are.

Laws are laws. A restaurant is a privately owned business. There are not public restaurants as she called it. You leave and don't come back, maybe you talk to management, it just depends.

I want to address the guide dog verses comfort dog thing, because I feel that aren't nearly the same thing at all. If a dog is literally your eyes I support that dog being there. I just don't believe this guy needs this dog to be in a restaurant with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies