Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times

Advertisements

It's interesting how many people seem to view politics through the lens of what they think about politicians.

Politics is bigger than that.

The word "politics" comes from the root word 'polis.' It's Greek; it means 'city' or 'citizen.' It was also the name of Aristotle's book on the subject, called (phonetically) 'Politika,' which means, "affairs of the city." The Roman roots "politicus" is derived from the Greek "politikos" which means "related to the citizens" or "civics" or, somewhat more cynically, "belonging to the state."

The achievements of Greece are largely philosophical, while Roman built public institutions (which the US, and subsequent liberal democracies, was very much modeled off of). Western civilization is generally viewed as the merging of 3 things; Greek philosophy, Roman civics, and secularized Christian values. These are all apart of politics... it's not just Democrats and Republicans. And sincerely feel it's unwise to give these things up just because the two parties we have are less than ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 11:31 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I don't even look at this as a left/right thing any more. It's bigger than that. It's general US and global politics. It's garbage in the grandest scale, because it's humans running the asylum. It's so seemingly out of control that it's almost moot to discuss rationally anymore.
It's the general "dumbing down" of America reflected on the open market of stupid people's ill informed opinions. The web only contributes to this stupidity, instead of being a new form of expression, it has become the place to go for one's daily dose of hate..

There is way better stuff going on within the alt media which has generally refused to take any one party's side in things. Sadly, politics today involves a huge chunk of the least informed, a very real change from a time when people would read about the party's position, plank by plank, economics, foreign policy, banking and finance, education---But today it's all about personalities amid a Jerry Springer mentality, a shameful spectacle of imbeciles...

Old 09-24-2017, 02:56 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
I see some right-wing wuss decided to use the reputation system to say what he doesn't have the nerve to say here or in DM. Chicken.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
This.

The minute you realize that Democrats and Republicans are two heads of the same monster, you'll be on your way to taking all of this crap a lot less seriously.

And the federal government is all theater to most Americans. The only people they directly affect are other big time politicians and maybe the multi-millionaire and billionaire classes, and only then because they need their money for campaigns, slush funds, etc. If you are such a person, fine, go ahead and give a damn about your federal government. For the other 99.99% of America, stick to your town council or City Hall if you need to feel involved, because those people actually affect YOU and your life.

Beyond that, it's all one big theater of the absurd. Trump this, Obama that, Hillary something else...and we all just choose which of the dancing monkeys we applaud or ridicule.
I still enjoy poking fun at both sides especially since these folks think this is real life.

And while the Trump circus has been great entertainment I'm really disappointed in the Left for being so unhinged that now I can't even enjoy making fun of Trump. They've taken all the fun out of it.

*sigh*

Old 09-24-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I see some right-wing wuss decided to use the reputation system to say what he doesn't have the nerve to say here or in DM. Chicken.
Wasn't me. We both enjoy our mutual hatred out in the open.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I'm happy with the point I've reached. After many years of being intensely interested, I've reached a point where my emotions are mostly under control. I've also matured a lot over the past 10 years, and I'm now able to appreciate many sides of an argument. If anything, I'm now less patient with people who are highly partisan. They bore me with their one-sided views of the political world. And that's why I stick around here. This is the only political forum I'm familiar with that includes people from all points on the political spectrum. I can always find my views echoed here. Sometimes they're from the left, sometimes they're from the right, and sometimes they're right in the middle. It's nice.

If you stick with it long enough, the same will probably happen to you. It's good to take a break from politics now and then, but if you can keep an open mind and begin to identify with political arguments from more than one side, it will help you with the emotional ups and downs because you'll always be able to see something good in whatever happens, no matter who wins or loses.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:29 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The word "politics" comes from the root word 'polis.' It's Greek; it means 'city' or 'citizen.' It was also the name of Aristotle's book on the subject, called (phonetically) 'Politika,' which means, "affairs of the city." The Roman roots "politicus" is derived from the Greek "politikos" which means "related to the citizens" or "civics" or, somewhat more cynically, "belonging to the state."
If we want to get really etymological, the Greeks even had a word for those who were self-centered and only dealt with their own small affairs, not taking part in the affairs of the city.

Based on the Greek for "private", "one's own" - idios. And yes, the word is "idiot".

Old 09-24-2017, 04:33 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
I'm not sure I understand. You mean that you're a fair-weather American? You're fine with politics as long as everything is smooth and sunny, but you're giving up now that the country is falling apart?

One thing about America at present: It disproves any idea that politics is dull. For sheer entertainment value, it's never been better. And, yes, although I'm aghast at much of what I see - particularly the dark underbelly of greed, meanness, and racism that Trump has exposed in his supporters - I try to stay on top of it as much as I can, and hope to become more involved, not less.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If we want to get really etymological, the Greeks even had a word for those who were self-centered and only dealt with their own small affairs, not taking part in the affairs of the city.

Based on the Greek for "private", "one's own" - idios. And yes, the word is "idiot".
The first recorded pressure to join the collective and enslave your neighbor?

Oh my!

Old 09-24-2017, 05:18 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The first recorded pressure to join the collective and enslave your neighbor?

Oh my!
Ok, so I've seen you float this idea around before, but I've never had a terribly compelling reason to engage with it. But now this thread exists... so here we go...

If I'm correct, your an anarchist-libertarian type. You're in that range. And if I'm not mistaken, it's because you believe other viewpoints wish to enact force upon others via the state, which is always wrong. And that's fine. You're also against politics, which I'm gathering you feel is using force of the state. And I understand the logic of why you don't want to engage in that... but at the same time, it makes no goddamn sense.

You could vote Libertarian. You could engage in politics and attempt to convince (not force) others to vote this way as well. And these people who you've voted for could grow in congress, and you could begin seeing our society move closer to your ideal, even if it's not fully achieved. But because it's not fully achieved, you view that as supporting state sponsored force and won't engage.

But, imagine a fascist party, which is as close to the opposite of libertarian/anarchist views I can imagine, begins to rise. You could engage in politics, move society towards using less force even though it won't be abolished entirely, as a means of combating a society that will pretty much be defined by it's constant use of force.

In essence, it's better in your mind to sacrifice none of your principles and let a person who stands in opposition to all of your principle seize power than it is to sacrifice some of your principles to support people who don't agree with some of your principles and support a society that uses less force (not none).

Do you see my confusion at your stance on politics? It's fine that you're an anarchist or libertarian or whatever you are. But being an apolitical anarchist/libertarian is essentially the same as being a Christian who only acts like a Christian when they go to church a few times around the holidays. That's to say, I don't necessarily doubt the sincerity of your belief, but I don't believe you have much conviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies