Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 06:14 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,461,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What retaliation? Not buying tickets to the games? That's voting with your wallet. For those who disagree with these dumb asses, that is entirely their right, and it is appropriate.

What Trump said was right. I stand with him.
You still don't get it. You as a private citizen boycotting the NFL because you don't like their lack of patriotism is fine.

The government's involvement in inciting retaliation against citizens for their lack of patriotic display is NOT FINE.

Quote:
And as far as the Supreme Court goes, you're dead wrong! They have commented on policy matters thay may be before them, a clear violation of ethics. Where have you been?
Don't be daft. You do that on purpose? The point isn't if they ever did it; the point is that as a principle they SHOULDN'T.

Same as they need to refrain from speaking as unfettered private citizens when they hold the weight of theor public Office, so does Trump need to do the same as President. His words are inevitably an endorsement by his Office, whether he intended them that way or not.

And I am dead right about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 06:14 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
What nonsense.
What qualifies you to give you political opinions any more than an athlete or entertainer?
Much. I have done the study necessary to understand our Constitution, what it means, and how it is to be applied. I take my responsibilities as a citizen seriously. My family history is one of patriots that date back to the Revolution. James Otis, "The Patriot" is an ancestor of mine, as well as his sister, Mercy Otis Warren. Another of my ancestors held the Bible for George Washington at his inauguration.

I know the history of our Constitution, which dates back 700 years before it was written. Our history is English History.

I served my country in the US Navy in Vietnam.

What have they done? Nothing! They are ignorant asses, making a living playing a game, because they can't do anything else. They are know-nothings.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:18 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Says the person who spends most of his time here NOT keeping his politics to himself!
I don't spend most of my time here, and why should I keep my politics to myself? I'm not a public figure taking money from people and then trying to make a political statement with their money!

Old 09-24-2017, 06:22 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,563,933 times
Quote:
Much. I have done the study necessary to understand our Constitution, what it means, and how it is to be applied. I take my responsibilities as a citizen seriously. My family history is one of patriots that date back to the Revolution. James Otis, "The Patriot" is an ancestor of mine, as well as his sister, Mercy Otis Warren. Another of my ancestors held the Bible for George Washington at his inauguration.

I know the history of our Constitution, which dates back 700 years before it was written. Our history is English History.

What have they done? Nothing! They are ignorant asses, making a living playing a game, because they can't do anything else. They are know-nothings.
Ah, so now you're suggesting an aristocracy where only those with a certain numbers of years of study of something are qualified to espouse an opinion on that thing. Not to mention you're bragging about your ancestors. Monarchy, anyone?

Incidentally I am a descendant of this person, so whoop-tee-doo on your James Otis Shmotis claim.

BTW, you might want to know that there are many people who have studied the same things you have even longer and more extensively who disagree with your conclusions.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:25 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,563,933 times
Quote:
I don't spend most of my time here, and why should I keep my politics to myself? I'm not a public figure taking money from people and then trying to make a political statement with their money!
Why should someone not be allowed to publicly state their political opinions just because they are public figures?

Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 PM

423 posts, read 186,832 times
As an Eastern European guy who just returned from a month-long cross country US trip, I've been closely following the situation.
I've been telling everyone at home that the thing I love about America is that the American people are much more social than Europeans. Like random strangers chatting on the streets or while standing in lines, strangers greeting you even in bigger cities when you pass each other. I always have this general sense of togetherness in America which is so unique in the world. I think that your special social rituals and traditions are one of the main reasons behind this closeness and friendliness in the everydays, because things like singing the anthem with 20.000 other people is an experience that warms up the heart and brings strangers closer together. These rituals are the best cohesive substances in a society that is so diverse as the US.

Such traditions and social rituals define the collective consciousness of a society, the heart and spirit of a country. What would be America without the 4th of July? Without Halloween or Thanksgiving? Without the flags in front of the homes? A healthy patriotism is what makes the American society so unique and so different compared to Europe in my opinion.
You see, we got to the point in some parts of the EU that if you engage in a random conversation with a stranger in the bus stop, they will think that you lost your mind.

As I, a non-American, see it, when these players choose to kneel during the anthem, it's not a demonstration against the government, but a demonstration against the principles of your own country. Those players are role models of thousands of children. What future Americans do you all wish for? Ones without any national identity, without any distinctive character of being American? You want a generation without any social cohesion who pass each other in public space with heads turned down to the ground like robots? I get it that Trump is an a**hole, but please guys don't ruin your great country just for the sake of opposition.

I can't help but have a feeling nowadays that this diversion that's going on in America is just can't be natural. Everyone in the world looked at America as the proud badass cowboy and no American would question the things that are questioned now everyday. So surreal... honestly what is going on?

Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,461,674 times
Quote:

And despite all this, you don't get the obvious concerns of precedent when a President uses his office to weig in on what retaliation should occur against private citizens who expressed an opinion?

Have you really done that much study as you claim? Because this should be an easy one, and it had nothing to do with your personal opinion of the protesters.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,627,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
It is weird. And then you have our president publicly calling these players names.
He never did any such thing, of course.

As usual, the liberals fuel their "outrage" with heavy doses of fake news and lies. If they didn't do that, they'd have nothing to say at all.

Gee, that would be terrible, wouldn't it?

Old 09-24-2017, 10:08 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,925,607 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8

You play with computers all day, studied English history, are related to people who overthrew their legitimate government, and were in the Navy. So what?

I find you no more, or less, of an ignorant ass know-nothing who is unqualified to comment on current issues than anyone

Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,634,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8

You play with computers all day, studied English history, are related to people who overthrew their legitimate government, and were in the Navy. So what?

I find you no more, or less, of an ignorant ass know-nothing who is unqualified to comment on current issues than anyone
hmm...

Quote:
Actually, i find YOU far MORE of an ignorant ass know nothing who is unqualified to comment on anything. I owe you no less than the arrogant disrespect you showed another poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies