Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 10:02 AM

68,343 posts, read 54,462,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
And they used to put cocaine in coke. Man can rationalize much and still believe they are a conservative. Jefferson was a very complex man and he believed in God.
But not necessarily in organized religion.

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose." ______ Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:
Se

I see this happening on MSNBC and CNN. I have my own brain. No one has to clue me in. There is reasons why the MSM is brainwashing the masses. Many are used politically and don 't even know it.

Disrespecting our flag 'our country is used by the media. They will of course side with those who will not stand and disrespect the flag. I read them like a book I read before. Opened borders, division of people by race, class . It is all planned out. Distorting the Founding fathers in a very negative way,our history, taking our guns. It is so clear. Next attacking the Constitution and those that penned it. It is coming.
Paranoid delusions.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:10 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,851,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't know if I would put it quite like that. Maybe, ahhh, FUNDAMENTAL TRANSFORMATION. Now, where have I heard that before???

The fact a U.S. President thought so poorly of his own country that he beleived it needed Fundamental Transformation is beyond even my capacity for the surreal. What he meant by that is increasing the number of people dependent on government, and therefore making them more easily controlled, and manipulated.
Here is an excerpt from a Bill O' Reilly interview putting the "fundamental transformation" you seem angry about into it's proper context. Because context matters.

Quote:
O’Reilly: OK. I got a letter from Kathy LaMaster, Fresno, Calif. I said I would read one letter from the folks, all right?

Obama: All right.

O’Reilly: "Mr. President, why do you feel it's necessary to fundamentally transform the nation that has afforded you so much opportunity and success?"

Obama: I don't think we have to fundamentally transform the nation.

O’Reilly: But those are your words.

Obama: I think that what we have to do is make sure that here in America, if you work hard, you can get ahead. Bill, you and I benefitted from this incredible country of ours, in part, because there were good jobs out there that paid a good wage, because you had public schools that functioned well, that we could get scholarships if we didn't come from a wealthy family, in order to go to college.

O’Reilly: Right.

Obama: That, you know, if you worked hard, not only did you have a good job, but you also had decent benefits, decent health care...

O’Reilly: They're cutting me off...

Obama: -- and for a lot of folks, we don't have that. We've got to make sure that we're doing everything we can to expand the middle class...

O’Reilly: All right...

Obama: -- and work hard and people who are working hard can get into the middle class.

O’Reilly: I think -- I -- you know, I know you think maybe we haven't been fair, but I think your heart is in the right place.

Here’s Obama’s original statement, in an October 2008 campaign visit to Columbia, Mo:

"Now, Mizzou, I just have two words for you tonight: five days. Five days. After decades of broken politics in Washington, and eight years of failed policies from George W. Bush, and 21 months of a campaign that's taken us from the rocky coast of Maine to the sunshine of California, we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.

"In five days, you can turn the page on policies that put greed and irresponsibility on Wall Street before the hard work and sacrifice of folks on Main Street. [cough] bull**** [/cough] In five days, you can choose policies that invest in our middle class, and create new jobs, and grow this economy, so that everyone has a chance to succeed, not just the CEO, but the secretary and janitor, not just the factory owner, but the men and women on the factory floor."
In context: What Obama said about "fundamentally transforming" the nation | PolitiFact

Old 09-28-2017, 10:17 AM

33,582 posts, read 18,196,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I voted for Perot myself - BUT, in the long term he was not correct. Sure, we should have sane trade and domestic policies, but history shows...without exception....that the top trading countries have done the best.

Take a real poll among Americans today and ask how many want their children working for 30 years on an assembly line....my guess is that very few of us desire this type of work for our kin. But I might be wrong.
I have been a blue collar worker and a white collar worker. When I was a teen I worked in a clothing factory. It wasn't hard work and I performed many different jobs where I was needed.

I also had an office in my white collar career. I worked with supervisors of different branches who worked under my boss.

I remember I went to a class when I was very young and the woman talked about blue collar vs white collar. She very intuitively knew she has a wide dichotomy of people who came to her seminar. She spoke about the rewards of both different classes. Those who worked with skills where many blue collar workers exceeded the earnings of white collar workers. The trade off was white collar workers were looked upon as more successful but financially they were not better off than many blue collar workers.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:29 AM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Take a real poll among Americans today and ask how many want their children working for 30 years on an assembly line....my guess is that very few of us desire this type of work for our kin. But I might be wrong.
Not everyone's child can be above average (contrary to popular belief). What is better for the average American? Working on an assembly line for $20/hr or working at McDonald's or Wal-Mart for $7.50/hr?

Old 09-28-2017, 10:30 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Not everyone's child can be above average (contrary to popular belief). What is better for the average American? Working on an assembly line for $20/hr or working at McDonald's or Wal-Mart for $7.50/hr?

Sadly we can just look around and see the answer to that one.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,949,106 times
Quote:
The liberal professors have been turning out many liberal minded people for decades.. Our news comes out of the most liberal areas of our country. NYC is 90% liberal. I don't feed off of the liberal garbage coming out of NYC.
And 37 percent of Silicon Valley foreign-born area residents of California are foreign born. The spew and garbage coming out of this area isn't even from Americans.

But, not unlike Europe under the New World Order: Muslims to be majority in Europe within two generations we too within three or four generations will no longer look, feel or be European in stock and with this conquering we must learn to submit and change our value system.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:51 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Quote:
Indeed. I liked Perot.

Perot never got into all of the far-right insanity that today's grass-roots conservatives seem to embrace.
I voted for Perot both times. I didn't want to trust a character, like Clinton, who loved to cheat on his wife.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Quote:
Yes. Humans have learned how to use religion, racism, and patriotism to get people to go against their own interests. And the suckers just keep on falling for it, from generation to generation.
I'm not sure about that. How do you know religion, racism and patriotism are not more important issues to a lot of people to start with, more so than jobs, education and good roads to drive on?

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-28-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 12:03 PM

33,582 posts, read 18,196,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But not necessarily in organized religion.

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose." ______ Thomas Jefferson
Meaning no one should force anyone to be a Christian. I agree as a Christian with Thomas Jefferson.. No where in the bible does it say we are to force anyone to believe . It clearly states in the bible it is the choice to believe or not believe. One cannot force someone to believe.

It is the Holy Spirit that draws men to God only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies