Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 01:35 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
He's not trying to get respect of the loser blue states, he's making them pay for treating him like crap...political pay back....you're welcome.
He’s a lifelong New Yorker who schmoozes with Manhattan high society. “Blue-staters” are his people, not the backwoods hicks he suckered to get elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 01:39 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Good people need to know they can not allow politicians (R or L) and the media educate them, they need to do that for themselves. No one cares more about your (general) own personal financial position than yourself. To allow a politician or the media to educate you is to be their useful idiot.
What I'm saying is, the "good people" in this thread already know. I think we can all agree here every politician and media company spins. The only difference is in which direction.

Luckily, one does not need to rely on what they say on this issue (and you already have a thread to specifically address what they said).

Old 10-02-2017, 01:42 PM

Anyway, I think anyone hoping rich people will suffer under this tax plan is probably going to be disappointed. I doubt they will do worse than status quo, if not much better. I'm more concerned about the people in the middle... looks like the bracket cut offs will be key.

One thing I support with this plan is simplification of the deductions. I don't agree with all of them (wish all deductions would go away, personally) but I like going in the direction of the less the better. I hope this will allow us all to see a lower effective tax rate based on how the brackets fall.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:46 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
He's not trying to get respect of the loser blue states, he's making them pay for treating him like crap...political pay back....you're welcome.
It's really not Trump, this is standard Republican protocol. Trump is just part of it and accepting of it.

The idea of political payback is reprehensible, but I am not so naive to think this doesn't happen, it certainly does (down to the local level). There have always been those that live 'on the wrong side of the tracks' whom would be expected to go along or face the threat of consequences. It is political extortion, both parties have been guilty of it at all levels at one time or another.

This is just one more example of how these people are not the leadership for all Americans, they are not unifiers, they don't even try to disguise it.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
1 GOP senator down. They only need a couple more deflections and the tax plan is likely dead. With the expected spike in the deficit due to the tax plan, it's likely that several more GOP legislatures will be against it.

Rand Paul speaks out against the GOP tax plan.

Rand Paul criticizes GOP tax plan | TheHill

"This is a GOP tax plan? Possibly 30% of middle class gets a tax hike? I hope the final details are better than this," Paul said

Old 10-02-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
1 GOP senator down. They only need a couple more deflections and the tax plan is likely dead. With the expected spike in the deficit due to the tax plan, it's likely that several more GOP legislatures will be against it.

Rand Paul speaks out against the GOP tax plan.

Rand Paul criticizes GOP tax plan | TheHill

"This is a GOP tax plan? Possibly 30% of middle class gets a tax hike? I hope the final details are better than this," Paul said
Bob Corker has also spoken out about this. I think the very fiscally conservatives will need to see it paid for (but he said he would follow the dynamic scoring system).

Old 10-02-2017, 02:37 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
The first $26k is not taxed in the lowest bracket now. Right now:

10% (lowest bracket) = $0 to $9,325
15% = $9,325 to $37,950
In my post's example, it was for a _married_ filing jointly couple making $50k gross. The existing brackets are:

$0 to $18,650 10% of taxable income
$18,650 to $75,900 $1,865 plus 15% of the excess over $18,650

Somebody else complained that it is wrong for me to use the same income cutoffs. So far the Trump/Mnuchin plan has not proposed changing them, so until further notice I can only assume they are unchanged.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:42 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
The first $26k is not taxed in the lowest bracket now. Right now:

10% (lowest bracket) = $0 to $9,325
15% = $9,325 to $37,950
and my example didn't say it was. I really wish you would use actual arugments based on actual fact. it would be helpful.

I clearly indicated what the current state was and I used the New York Times projections based on that.
The bottom line here is that the OPs linked story by Politico is of less value than the skin from a freshly peeled tomato. (factually speaking).

Old 10-02-2017, 03:04 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
In my post's example, it was for a _married_ filing jointly couple making $50k gross. The existing brackets are:

$0 to $18,650 10% of taxable income
$18,650 to $75,900 $1,865 plus 15% of the excess over $18,650

Somebody else complained that it is wrong for me to use the same income cutoffs. So far the Trump/Mnuchin plan has not proposed changing them, so until further notice I can only assume they are unchanged.
it was me and I didn't complain that you used the same. you didn't. I linked to NYT and showed where it appears you are wrong.

I am very happy to be wrong and you right if the facts sup0por that. but where is the data? we can walk thru it again. (sometimes im slow)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...n.html?mcubz=1

per the NYT the 15% tax rate is mapped to the 12% not the 25% bracket.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
and my example didn't say it was. I really wish you would use actual arugments based on actual fact. it would be helpful.

I clearly indicated what the current state was and I used the New York Times projections based on that.
The bottom line here is that the OPs linked story by Politico is of less value than the skin from a freshly peeled tomato. (factually speaking).
Let's back up... I'm not making any argument. I thought you saying the current tax brackets allow for the first $26k in income to be taxed at the lowest bracket. If that's not what you were saying, then I misread your comment. That's all. And I actually didn't read the NYT projection or the Politico article but the other poster's scenarios made sense to me mathematically (of course making some assumptions on what the income cut offs would be).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies