Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 11:39 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
People are overthinking this.

Mass shootings are not a recent phenomenon.

I asked a coworker this morning if he ever heard of the McDonald's shooter in 1984 (still in the top six of deadliest mass shootings in US history. He is 29 years old and never heard of it.

But that McDonald's shooter had a history of issues with being hostile against society and wanted to strike back at a world that done him wrong and didn't acknowledge his importance.

I suspect this shooter will be of the same mould. Don't necessarily believe all the initial reports of him being a low key or nice person, and I suspect we will find more things as time goes on. His social media and forum posts. His past run ins with people.

And like I said we will never stop these narcissists because they will continue to want to up the body count in our attention seeking world.

America's deadliest shooting incidents are getting much more deadly - The Salt Lake Tribune
I just watched a documentary on the Mcdonalds Massacre. Incredibly horrific crime scene video footage can be seen. The gunman had just a normal day with his family and then said he was going to go out hunting humans.

One thing that strikes me is whenever shooters cross that line and show up with the intent to kill, there is no reasoning with them. People in that restaurant were begging him to stop and he would answer back by spraying them with bullets. Children, infants, didn't matter to him. They have such a disconnect with reality and complete loss of empathy at that point. Before Columbine, the Lubys Cafeteria massacre is the one I always remembered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
There's always someone so unhappy with their lives.
But only in today's modern world do we give them the tools to take out more and more people because of their own issues. How come none of the 2A fanatics ever lament the fact that they are prevented from buying consumer-grade grenade launchers? There must be a reason why we aren't allowed to buy them, right? Hmmm....

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah, who knows and will we ever. The dude seemed pretty successful, which for many of us would make us happy to be alive and hard to get dragged down to the point of thinking taking as many lives as one could is a solution that will make you feel better. I for one just don't understand how crazy works.
Most people don't know how crazy works. But, they do fear the actions so they try and figure out if they are in a safe spot. I.E. who is it? Why he does it? Am I a target next? etc. I think it's an instinct we have to protect ourselves. I try not to read too much into it while people are guessing why he did it. Its a scary thing for everyone.
Iḿ probably not going to any festivals or concerts for a while. It's getting to where you feel pretty trapped in by all the hate.

1,196 posts, read 839,009 times
Guy in the anti trump protest video is wearing a NASA shirt

The Vegas shooted was pilot and

Land records show that the former Florida man purchased the home in April 2013 and sold the home in May 2015.

Paddock worked for Space Shuttle booster maker Morton-Thiokol, a predecessor company of the Lockheed Martin from 1985 to 1988.

Morton-Thiokol's O-ring component on a booster rocket was later found to be at fault for the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster in 1986.
Las Vegas Shooter, Stephen Paddock, Worked For Lockheed Martin Predecessor, Lived In Florida

This guy might be another crazed liberal like the one that shot Congressman Steve Scalise. Country music concert = republican target rich scenario

Last edited by hogstooth; 10-02-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 10-02-2017, 11:41 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Again, assault rifles are already banned for the masses. Do we create a special, secret automatic machine gun ban?
I don't know the answer to this. But let's say your company got a gov't contract to make a proposal on which regulations can be used to stop this... in addition to a good proposal, your company will get paid handsomely based on any reductions in gun violence in a test market. Take your personal views out of it... looking at your bottom line, is there anything you can think of? Ranging from terrorism to petty crime and gang violence.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:41 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
We have two separate issues in this country related to firearms.

Inner city violence
Root causes, parenting, drugs, gangs , culture

Mental health (people snapping like this instance)
Root causes, parenting, drugs, mental illnesses,

Both are going to take very complex solutions. First off the root causes need to be addressed before violating the rights of the law abiding.
So essentially something the federal government isn't really capable of or interested in. People need to become more reliant on what we can do as a society and as individuals rather than wait around for a bunch of career politicians living in bubbles to do something.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Something smells fishy with this one. Did he kill himself or was he shot by law enforcement? That should be a pretty easy one to answer but the news has been all over the place on that one. Very curious what the real story is on this guy. Almost invariably shooting rampages are carried out by young men in their teens or 20’s, not men nearly old enough to sign up for Medicare.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
On another note, I REFUSE to watch any videos from the shooting. Ugh.
I watched a few. Its important to know the utter terror and chaos of what these innocent people go through. Too easy to wrap oneself in a shroud of blissful ignorance. This crap happens too often. Why should I be safe in my little bubble when such terrible things are happening to my fellow Americans?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:43 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
We have two separate issues in this country related to firearms.

Inner city violence
Root causes, parenting, drugs, gangs , culture

Mental health (people snapping like this instance)
Root causes, parenting, drugs, mental illnesses,

Both are going to take very complex solutions. First off the root causes need to be addressed before violating the rights of the law abiding.
This is a very accurate (and reasonable!) stance. I don't understand why people passionate for this topic can't sync up on the actual indisputable stats so that we can have a meaningful and honest discussion. As long as people are willing to ignore the two above issues that you have outlined, we can continue to just argue with one another while more people die.

Only when America and Americans are willing to admit that our gun violence numbers are almost entirely comprised of the two above scenarios, and only when we include solutions for those two scenarios into the discussion, can we be on the same page and maybe get somewhere.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:43 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
I will not make this a political issue, I PRAY for those who lost their lives, and their family members and friends.
We know some people who went to that concert, and need to hear from them. My heart goes out to all those Hero's who were exactly that, those are true hero's risking their own lives to save others.
I feel for the town of Las Vegas, for what they are dealing with, no one should have to experience something like this, just for going to a Concert. I pray for those who lost their lives, and those who have been injured. Last night seem like such a small world, but filled with such heroic moments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies