Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 10:11 AM

10,763 posts, read 5,680,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sorry for the confusion, but I followed the part that confused you with this further clarification. "At a minimum, there are ways to help some. No ways to help others. On that we can agree without further comment."

Can't imagine anyone might think I'm somehow arguing that ALL addiction can be stopped, but if there is still any confusion about that..., no, that is not my opinion.
Thanks for clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Even full automatics.
Many full automatic firearms are in an inheritance. Does the person inheriting go through a background check? do they pay the government for the privilege to keep, but certainly not bear?
If they weren't NFA registered with tax paid when originally obtained, or amnesty registered prior to the GCA '68, there is nothing that can be done. It is a contraband weapon and there is NOTHING that can be done to make it legal.

Quote:
It is too easy for anyone with some mechanical knowledge, to make their own firearm.
The bigger the bore, the easier it is to rifle the barrel.
Making a gun, even a FA, is as you note, easy. However, rifling barrels is generally beyond the ability of most hobbyists. And given the proliferation of barrels, unnecessary.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Talk about your twisted argument!

Who is arguing that firearms are the leading cause of death in this country?!? Another whacky weak argument AKA straw man!

I normally dismiss any comments that are so off-the-charts ridiculous, but you obviously went to some trouble to develop that list of all manner in which we can kill and/or be killed. Now go through that list and how many do not also include all manner of efforts to prevent them, regardless how they rank on the chart of most killed?

As to even blunt objects being used, also go through your list and subtract all such items that are virtually impossible to keep out of civilian hands.

To equate an M16, for example, to a kitchen knife in this respect is utterly daft.
Only if you really don't care about saving lives.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Funny response, and I agree, but there again the "anti-freedom" label is so utterly unfair...
[/shrug] An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject. Nothing unfair about calling it like it is.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I've been following and again I agree, but posting nothing but truth doesn't always count for much in this forum...
Only with those who choose not to read, or are incapable of understanding.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:26 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Only if you really don't care about saving lives.
Another ridiculous argument this. You are about as correct as I don't care about saving lives.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:27 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
I went on to read the rest of the comments in this thread with hopes someone else had saved me the trouble, again, to address the "minute man with a musket" argument, but unfortunately nobody did me the favor...

Not sure I'm in the mood to devote still more time wasting time, so perhaps I just suggest you arm up and hunker down with all your insurgency/guerilla warfare tactics, and I'll bet on our military who would also no doubt be amused. As also noted, there are other tactics you would find hard to overcome, but I know how this notion is near-and-dear to many who feel they are our last resort to protect us from tyranny.

The question as to what extent that is true or not is essentially mute in my opinion anyway, because I am not arguing that banning military assault type weapons will have the intended effect of reducing Paddock style terrorism. There are simply too many of those weapons already out there and if not by way of one those weapons, it will be terrorism by way of another weapon.

Unfortunately, those are the reasons the argument to ban such weapons fails, not because citizens need to arm themselves to fight the threat of tyranny. That argument fails badly too in the context of what we are dealing with now compared to the days when the other side had little better than horses, cannons and muskets too...

It is quite true that sporadically organized citizen militias armed only with semi auto firearms presents little threat to the military. Or even federal LE as it is now armed and equipped. The circumstances that would bring such a confrontation into being must be considered however. I take no stock in the theory of a second American civil war. There is just no way such a war could take place. It would take a great number of states, banded into a coalition with, as you brought up, the military assets, supply lines, communications, medical assets, oh the list goes on. And all of it organized and ready, with clear objectives and lines of battle. Such is VERY unlikely to ever happen.

Today's technology precludes such an effective alliance from ever forming. Will the US government ever turn on the citizens and order its armed forces, both military and LE to subdue the population? mmmmm.....maybe. I'm sure every administration since the beginning has looked at such a contingency. The big question is just how many of those assets would actually follow those orders without question. I tend to think the threats we need to be able to arm against are more criminal than civil. The gangs with heir cartel backing are growing and are actually at the level of oppression of the people who have to live in the areas they hold sway.

I've already gone into how I feel that could be effectively dealt with so I won't go on. But these gangs are more within militia level capabilities than talking about a government coup.

Quote:
There it is, and though true that incarceration rates for blacks are disproportionately high, especially for young black men, comments like this seem to suggest the issue is DNA related, racist.
That may be how YOU feel about black violent crime, but there was nothing in the post that you responded to that was in any way racist.

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
[/shrug] An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject. Nothing unfair about calling it like it is.
In that case, nothing unfair about me pointing out that you are not thinking clearly. Right?

Old 10-22-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Another ridiculous argument this. You are about as correct as I don't care about saving lives.
The anti-freedom fetishists who clamor for more gun control, because, you know, lives and children, are nearly silent on everything else that kills people. Ridiculous? Nope. Abundantly clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies