Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:27 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
This is no joke and part of ones sensible and complete life style choice on where to live. In my small town we knew/know that we cannot handle the most devastating of injuries, which have to be stabilized and flown out. But even more realistically, more advanced or serious medical conditions also may have to be shipped. So I have to take my wife to Gilbert AZ 4 hours away every 3 weeks for more advanced cancer treatment, and then spend the next 3 months down there.
So now that your situation in life has changed, why not move to Gilbert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 02:34 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I love this thread.

Who moves to an area because they have a Level 1 Trauma center?

Those with terrible luck?

Who?

I don't move to an area BECAUSE of a level 1 trauma center but I certainly wouldn't move to a region without one. That tends to reflect other medical facilities aside from trauma.

It was hell fighting traffic once or twice a week to get to chemo that started during rush hour traffic an hour away. I can't imagine having to drive 2, 3, 4, 5 hours for even an excellent hospital, much less a subpar one.

To each their own, but most of us will eventually get *something*. I'd rather get something where I can be treated by the best. Of course, as something with splendidly bad luck, I'd be the one who gets seriously injured while traveling. :P And I don't limit travel by medical facilities. Even still, gotta minimize risk/maximize opportunity where you can. With level 1 trauma centers and top 30 cancer centers in a wide range of types of cities in this country, there's no need to live anywhere else!

Old 10-06-2017, 02:37 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
The irony of it all is that the level 1 trauma center in Nevada, the one Trump visited and praised, might not even be in existence if it were not for Obamacare. The CEO of the hospital had this to say after the shooting:

Quote:
"I'm happy to report over the last three years we have not had to take a subsidy,” VanHouweling said. "If it wasn't for the Affordable Care Act and the benefits and expansion of Medicaid, our operations today would be different. We’ve been able to stand on our own, reinvest, grow and expand services where our community needs it the most.”

VanHouweling added “many more lives could have been lost” Sunday if the hospital didn’t have available resources to prepare for large emergencies.
The Vegas hospital President Trump visited relies heavily on Obamacare | 12NEWS.com

As for Fargo, ND. Well, it turns out that North Dakota joined the Obamacare Medicaid Expansion program and now is expanding services to include that Level I. I am sure they are all thankful up that way that Trumpcare crashed and burned.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-06-2017 at 02:49 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 02:58 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The irony of it all is that the level 1 trauma center in Nevada, the one Trump visited and praised, might not even be in existence if it were not for Obamacare. The CEO of the hospital had this to say after the shooting:

The Vegas hospital President Trump visited relies heavily on Obamacare | 12NEWS.com

As for Fargo, ND. Well, it turns out that North Dakota joined the Obamacare Medicaid Expansion program and now is expanding services to include that Level I. I am sure they are all thankful up that way that Trumpcare crashed and burned.
Whereas in NC, that did not sign on with ACA, rural hospitals are closing down their maternity wards and many are closing down altogether.

"Sixty-eight rural hospitals have closed since January 2010. Hundreds more may be on the brink, including more than a third of critical access hospitals."

https://www.northcarolinahealthnews....shutting-down/

Old 10-06-2017, 03:01 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So now that your situation in life has changed, why not move to Gilbert?
We are essentially for 3 months.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:05 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Not so much Obamacare per se, but the related Medicaid expansion is what helps them stay open. Way fewer no payers.

Some might want to guess what my wife's Obamacare policy paid that same hospital after our 1/1/17 crash. Her total billings were about $1.2M.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
How many level 1 centers does your beloved SD have?

Keep in mind Fargo does not YET have a level 1 trauma center. It is being built. There is currently no level 1 center in ND, SD, or western MN.
No level 1 trauma within 150,000+ square miles in the Dakotas with a combined population of 1.5 million people.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It is not a Level 1 Trauma Center.

Maybe someday.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Upon further review, I guess it is seeking level 1 status.

The fact of the matter remains though that Las Vegas was not ready to handle crisis situations with it's lackluster medical resources compared to most cities.

They certainly did the best they could, but the fact the matter remains they are way, way, way behind for a metropolitan area of it's size.

Kansas Department of Health and Environment: Trauma

Two level 1 trauma centers in Wichita with less 1/5th of the population of Clark County.

http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Nebr...0Hospitals.pdf

Omaha has about 1/5th of the population of Clark County has two level 1 trauma centers.
Were you there?

Any city anywhere would be challenged to meet 527 simultaneous incomings at once, no matter how many trauma centers. These hospitals rose to the occasion.

Not all injured were shot.
Not all injured were badly injured.

Sounds to me like the Nevada hospitals did a great job.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:25 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
We have been seriously considering wintering in the Southwest and summering in the Northeast for several years. The proximity to a good local hospital and a hospital complex, along with a lack of winter snow and cold, is a major factor in our winter location.

We realize our current location with a very good local hospital 10 minutes away and the huge Boston medical centers 1 hour away will be difficult to beat we still want to be able to get to care if one of us falls and breaks something or we get hammered in a car accident.

Thank you for letting me know there are things called Level 1 Trauma Centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies