Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 04:20 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You are using an extreme case here.

Where are your families? They should provide assistance in your situation.

Yes, the vast majority of the people CAN put away enough savings IF they make the right choices.
Some of us had fortune of growing up in families that taught us exactly how we should strive not to act.

While my case is extreme, I am also extremely lucky to have the fortune that I have had regarding my educational background, intellectual abilities, work ethic, and ability to plan. Lots of "average" people would not be able to weather health issues in this regard, and lots of above average people develop chronic illness that impacts their ability to work for the rest of their lives.

It's easy to talk about choices being the issue here: it's a way of making yourself feel like it couldn't happen to you. I used to think the same way before I got sick - if only people planned and prepared as well as I did then they wouldn't have so many problems. I don't have the naivete of saying that anymore.

Even if I made the worst decisions on earth, no one should worry about feeding yourself or filling prescriptions for cancer medication in this country. That's exactly what I did, all while holding a full time job and taking any overtime hours I could get against doctor's orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why would you go into debt to get degrees that aren't very marketable? The vast majority of lawyers really don't make all that much money. They're relegated to doing real estate closings, plain vanilla wills, etc., chasing ambulances, etc. It's really tough to make it in that field.
Reading comprehension is a difficult skill, one that is honed in liberal arts classes. Please point out where I said I took out debt to get any degree. Hint hint: I didn't.

I chose not to go to law school because when the bottom of the market dropped out, I didn't like my odds. My master's degree is in a professional specialization that is heavily focused on STEM (though more of a business-related degree) at another top university. I have not taken a cent of loans for that degree, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 04:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you don't know this, but the US did indeed have an Army before the Constitution was ratified. The Continental Army was established during the Second Continental Congress by a Congressional resolution on June 14, 1775. It was created to coordinate the military efforts of the Thirteen Colonies in their revolt against the British. General George Washington was the commander-in-chief of the army throughout the Revolutionary War.

Provide. Promote. Two very different words, used purposely to denote two very different purposes.

A lot of people make that mistake. It's poor reading comprehension and weak vocabulary skills.
Your post is more of your nonsense. You obviously need to look up promote and provide. They overlap over a significant space and can in many circumstances be substituted for each other.

Promote...1.
further the progress of (something, especially a cause, venture, or aim); support or actively encourage.

The Continental Army was disbanded after the war. Left were two regiments to defend the armory at West Point and the western frontier. All providing of ground troops was delegated to the State Militias. When Washington marched on the Whiskey Rebellion his troops were entirely State Militias. That is because Washington had no others.

So there is absolutely no Constitutional reason (other than good sense) why we need a large defense establishment and we have resisted such an army save in war time through much of our history.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:48 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Reading comprehension is a difficult skill, one that is honed in liberal arts classes. Please point out where I said I took out debt to get any degree. Hint hint: I didn't.
It came across as you were talking about people in the same situation as you.
Quote:
All the preparation and good choices in the world mean very little when facing life-altering illness, especially when you face it before you've had the benefit of time to save money, pay off student loans, or earn stature in your field.
Quote:
I chose not to go to law school because when the bottom of the market dropped out, I didn't like my odds. My master's degree is in a professional specialization that is heavily focused on STEM (though more of a business-related degree) at another top university. I have not taken a cent of loans for that degree, either.
Was it enough to pay your HC bills and support yourself? Or did you take other people's money?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Your post is simply absurd. This is absolutely no reason to believe such an approach would ever work. And even if it did under ideal condition the first economic recession the poor start dying in the streets and parking lots. It is clear that with the existing system the poor die younger and more often than the well off. What you want to do is make it worse.

We need to decide what we will do about health care. As a practical matter it is not a service that works well in the standard capitalist environment and is probably better to do some version of single payer. And properly done that could actually lower the overall cost of US health care. So potentially we could have better health care and save some money.
I did the math on the absurdity of providing health care to the poor through charity in a recent post, here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here is how healthcare for the poor would work if they had to rely upon charity

In 2016 American individuals, estates, foundations and corporations contributed an estimated $390.05 billion to U.S. charities.

In 2016 19% of the population was covered by medicaid, 14% by medicare and 9% were uninsured. If you end medicaid and medicare that would leave 42% of the population that would need to have their healthcare provided by charity. There were around 323 million people in the US in 2016, so 135,660,000 would need charity healthcare.

Healthcare spending per person in 2016 was $10,345. So total healthcare for those people would cost about 1.4 trillion dollars

After using every penny contributed to all charities in 2016 there would be a deficit of over a trillion dollars, where will that come from?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Your post is more of your nonsense. You obviously need to look up promote and provide.
They're two different words. You don't get to make up your own definitions.

For example, the US Surgeon General promotes a healthy diet and exercise for everyone. He doesn't actually provide everyone with 3 healthy meals and snacks every day and exercise equipment.

Quote:
The Continental Army was disbanded after the war. Left were two regiments to defend the armory at West Point and the western frontier.
Yep. Provide for national defense.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
They're two different words. You don't get to make up your own definitions.

For example, the US Surgeon General promotes a healthy diet and exercise for everyone. He doesn't actually provide everyone with 3 healthy meals and snacks every day and exercise equipment.

Yep. Provide for national defense.
Yet another nonsensical post. Promote could very well include a government program such as SNAP. Providing a food subsidy absolutes does promote good health,.

And no the national defense was provided by the States not the Federal Government. The Feds guarded the armory and chased Indians. The State militias provided the national defence.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I did the math on the absurdity of providing health care to the poor through charity in a recent post
Doesn't that tell you that society doesn't value providing that service?

Old 10-24-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Yet another nonsensical post. Promote could very well include a government program such as SNAP.
No, that's providing free food. Promoting healthy and economic food choices is advising on wise decision-making in regard to diet and nutrition.

Quote:
And no the national defense was provided by the States not the Federal Government.
Who was leading them? The state governors? Or were they conscripted into service for national defense, even if only temporarily? The latter, of course.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
No, that's providing free food. Promoting healthy and economic food choices is advising on wise decision-making in regard to diet and nutrition.

Who was leading them? The state governors? Or were they conscripted into service for national defense, even if only temporarily? The latter, of course.
No that is promoting good heath by providing cheap food. Nothing exclusive about either term.

They were led by the Commanders of the Militia who reported to the State Governors. They were under no control of the Feds except as they chose to be.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:24 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yes, we can. I don't remember anywhere in the constitution a requirement for 800 bil defense budget + bunch of other costs. It can be easily reduced, sounds good?
Last time I checked, the defense budget was $600 billion, not 800.

But no where in the constitution it says the government should give out $1600 billion entitlement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies