Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times

Advertisements

The obvious solution is to make Girl Scouts as fun and interesting as Boy Scouts with many of the same activities.

You're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
If nothing needs to be separate than scouts was long overdue. Perhaps we can now move on the unifying the genders in other activities.
Agreed. Things like sports. There is no reason for separate boys and girls teams/events/etc. Everyone is equal, just have football, baseball, volleyball, field hockey and track teams. No reason to split them by sex.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i will be honest, i seriously dont care what they think. Thier target audience isnt the same.

even withing girls. GS is a group that focuses on fundraising, crafts, and community organizing. I actually went and looked at their requirements stuff.

BSA is nowhere near that. very different organizations with very different goals and methods.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:24 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I don't understand what's so bad about the Girl Scouts or being a cute little brownie. This country makes me f'n throw up with all of this bs..it's bad to be feminine, bad to do girly things, bad to play with dolls, bad to play house, bad to still be a virgin and not be a one night stand hoe, always have to be competing with men or trying to dominate men. What a bunch of stupid crap!! Get the hell out of my face with it.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 AM

50,375 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Neither boy or Girl Scouts are any good unless they have enthusiastic leaders. I think that blending the organizations is a nice idea. A Boy Scout could get a sewing badge if he wants and a girl could rappel off of cliffs if she wants.
I think a troop/den could be all one gender, or blended, depending on what the members want. My husband was an unofficial campfire girl because his mother was a leader. My DIL was an unofficial boyscout because her dad was a leader. No big deal.

Girls like to hike and camp just as much as boys, and some boys like to cook and do 9ther traditionally female things. So what?

Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't understand what's so bad about the Girl Scouts and being a cute little brownie. This country makes me f'n throw up with all of this bs..it's bad to be feminine, bad to do girly things, bad to play with dolls, bad to play house. Always have to be competing with men or trying to dominate men. What a bunch of stupid crap.
hold on a second. i for one am very big on boys being boys and girls being girls. i think women should be feminine and men should NOT.

if the Girl Scouts was teaching leadership the way BSA does, and wasnt so utterly politicized, its likely there would be no interest in BSA opening to girls.

As with everything, the devil is in the detials. GS just has a very different goal, a very different plan and a very different perspective. Here is the funny thing, there are no boys that want was GS provides (except the cookies...) but there are TONS of girls that want what the BSA provides.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
May be a good thing. When they become women, they will understand they need the mans strength and determination, from prior experience.

The new Merit Badges: Copping a Feel and Playing Doctor.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Neither boy or Girl Scouts are any good unless they have enthusiastic leaders. I think that blending the organizations is a nice idea. A Boy Scout could get a sewing badge if he wants and a girl could rappel off of cliffs if she wants.
I think a troop/den could be all one gender, or blended, depending on what the members want. My husband was an unofficial campfire girl because his mother was a leader. My DIL was an unofficial boyscout because her dad was a leader. No big deal.

Girls like to hike and camp just as much as boys, and some boys like to cook and do 9ther traditionally female things. So what?
nope. dont want nothing offered by GS. I base that opinion on taking a look at the requirements for advancement.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Wow..pretty nasty statement from the GS. Sexual assault, financial impropriety?

Seems that it really is all about those cookie sales..almost $1b a year.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
May be a good thing. When they become women, they will understand they need the mans strength and determination, from prior experience.

The new Merit Badges: Copping a Feel and Playing Doctor.

I think you may have disqualified yourself from being a Boy Scout Troop leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies