Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:06 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Is Islam being embraced by the secular left?
Yes, to an extent that should be embarrassing. This piece being published in a prominent newspaper is just the latest example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 08:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, to an extent that should be embarrassing. This piece being published in a prominent newspaper is just the latest example.
It's an opinion piece.

Are you saying that an influential muslim should be muzzled?

Are you saying that a newspaper should only publish opinions that the editorial board agrees with?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:13 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
It's an opinion piece.

Are you saying that a newspaper should only publish opinions that the editorial board agrees with?
That newspaper was bought by a very wealthy Saudi Arabian. Just saying.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
It's an opinion piece.

I'm just observing the Overton window as it applies to present day liberals and noting the irony. This guy is telling us that Islamic teachings on sex can help achieve the goals of feminism. A similar piece from a Christian conservative would receive only howls of scornful laughter.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Sure enough:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...he-independent

He owns an even larger share of the Independent that Carlos Slim does the New York Times.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Shrug. And I'm sure that somewhere in this country there's at least one christian claiming that obeying the teachings of the bible would prevent sexual abuse.
I tend to agree - Religious Fanatics have always existed across all Religions and Sects.
On the other hand - can anyone point to a "christian" who has enslaved over 1,000 girls (not women, but girls) into sexual slavery? I ceased being astounded at those that make excuses for this type of behavior a long time ago.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I'm just observing the Overton window as it applies to present day liberals and noting the irony. This guy is telling us that Islamic teachings on sex can help achieve the goals of feminism. A similar piece from a Christian conservative would receive only howls of scornful laughter.
I seldom howl about anything, except when I stub a toe.

And in case you're wondering, I think that religion has been an excuse for the powerful to act badly and get away with it at least as often as it's been a moral guide. Doesn't particularly matter exactly which religion we are talking about, even buddhists can make excuses for human rights abuses. See: Aung San Suu Kyi

All I'm saying is that we live in a free society and accepting that someone has a right to publish his/her opinion does not imply embracing either the opinion or opiner.

That irony you speak of? Do you really think only liberals exemplify it?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I tend to agree - Religious Fanatics have always existed across all Religions and Sects.
On the other hand - can anyone point to a "christian" who has enslaved over 1,000 girls (not women, but girls) into sexual slavery? I ceased being astounded at those that make excuses for this type of behavior a long time ago.
I'm not sure who you think is making excuses for sexual slavery. I'm not.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Not sure what difference this makes to the original issue. Is it OK for a paper to publish a minority opinion or isn't it?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:58 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Exactly. It's even in their Sharia Law.
Don't they have guidelines as to the proper way to beat your wives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies