Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 01:21 PM

31,018 posts, read 22,059,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've never mocked McCain. I've disagreed with him a few times in the past. I was very worried when he picked Sarah Palin as his running mate. However, I never mocked him. You can't accuse me of disrespecting him.
Not directed at you at all. I agree with you on the Palin choice too. I never hear you calling one side or the other with childish names, like so many on here, so kudos to you on being a higher ground poster Kind of hard claiming to taking the higher ground and being an adult when are using child like terms in your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 01:27 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,239,063 times
Even though I disagree often w/ John McCain, I always respected him...especially when he was a true maverick before the 2000 primary.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:29 PM

35,036 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...I totally believe that Trump had bone spurs just like Rush had a boil on his ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
The college deferments were a disgusting trick to protect the middle classes and the wealthy. and the medical should have only been allowed with a panel, that allowed our doctor to provide input and or a vote.

trump with 4 school and 1 medical should have been barred from public office for life. He was a traitor as bad as anyone one who fled across the border.
Deferments were a sleazy way to turn the war into a lower middle class to lower class war. For a while even people being married got a deferment, until the marital deferment was removed on August 26, 1965. See PrimeTime: Marrying to Avoid Draft - ABC News. The paternity deferment ended later. The average age of marriage for males actually dropped to 22 for a brief period. Many college students figured, up until the end of the marital deferment they could segue directly to marriage in order to avoid the "deferment" ever ending.

So these entitled people were about to face the draft; and all hell broke loose not too long after. That's when the mantra of "stop the war" began.

Even in my family, my father, a Korean War navy veteran, wrote letters on behalf of his two nephews to avoid the draft, one based on being a conscientious objector, the other for psychological reasons. Trump was not the only one to get off easy. See discussion: Problems With Millenials and Keeping America's Unique Advantages.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, you should be allowed to institute a draft to provide cannon fodder, for inane, unnecessary wars of choice of no benefit to the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I agree. We don't need a draft, instead we need to knock the war mongering on the head.

It is clear there is a growing call for more war from the armchair warriors in Washington DC and from the old men of the right.

It is high time we stop the flag waving, the endless maiming and loss of our young men and women and it is time we stop the waste of our national treasure.

The war mongering must end. There is no reason to go to war.
Why is there no burden on the Taliban and ISIS to "stop the war(s)"?

Old 10-23-2017, 01:40 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
Quote:
Clinton avoided military service with college deferments just like a bunch of other people. He enrolled in ROTC, which gave him extra breathing room.

No, he didn’t leave the country to avoid the draft. That’s a lie.

He used the system of deferments.
And if Clinton enrolled in ROTC, he probably understood that a person with any sort of marketable skills could usually avoid combat duty. Among college-educated draftees, it was the simpletons with low-value liberal arts degrees who ended up in the lower ranks for the most part.

But of course, this applies to Trump as well; both probably saw the draft more in terms of an interruption in career plans rater than a prospect of being killed or maimed in battle.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:44 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,215 times
Quote:
Lol...I totally believe that Trump had bone spurs just like Rush had a boil on his ass.
Even if he had a bone spur on his foot doctors remove those all the time. Back in 1959 a high school friend of mine had one removed and spent a couple of weeks on crutches. His, if he had one in the first place, didn't stop him from doing sports in college and he doesn't even remember which foot it was on. They don't go away on their own, they only get bigger over time. Where is the record that "his" was removed?

Old 10-23-2017, 01:50 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
McCain isn't perfect, but he's the real deal: he's not going to be cowed by Trump's crap, and NOTHING can hide the fact that he served his nation with courage in combat while Trump was a ***** who got his rich daddy to get some doctor to get him five deferments including some bull**** on bone spurs that then miraculously just happened to go away once the draft was over.

In fact, pretty much all the McCain men, including John's sons, served proudly in the military. Trump's kids just enjoyed their mini-me status in daddy's business.

Cons are of course desperately counting the hours until McCain dies from his tumors, but history will always show that McCain was a real public servant who had courage and honor; whereas Trump will always be a coward who had none. Spin it any way you want, but it's as simple as that. This is one bit of news that can't be turned "fake."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...nts/index.html
hahahaha As if you really care about McCain. Love your emphasis on policy.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Here is the Snopes version of Clinton's draft avoidance. It's complicated.

https://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/felon.asp

Old 10-23-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Until the beginnings of progression from feudalism to the concept of the nation-state, wars were fought by a warrior caste. The concept of a standing army, under the control of the monarch/strongman, intensified after the Fourteenth Century, and the disastrous consequences were amplified by the replacement of agrarianism by industrialization, providing both centralization of authority and a huge pool of cannon fodder. This all culminated in the bloody spectacle of a two-act, thirty-year, totally-industrialized global war.

At this point, however, prospects for the further advance of open societies within a growing community of proven democracies (which do not settle their differences on the battlefield) seems stronger than at any time in history, "anti-globalist" hysteria notwithstanding. But we shouldn't be seeking "guidance" from the loudest voices at the back of the room.
So true. Another change is that Western countries don't use mercenaries. That was a factor enabling such relative democracies as Britain to fight the Revolutionary War. They fought the French and Indian War using colonists as near-mercenaries. The war and many others would have been unfightable had they had to take civilians out of the economy to fight overseas in the colonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It is among the "empty barrels" of the lower ranks that both sides of our current polarization find their most fertile spawning ground, but the Low Left is far larger, more easily duped, and more vicious.
"Empty barrels make the most noise." - John Kelly, October 2017.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:55 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,779 times
McCain was right. Only the young guys who could not go to college or find some medical deferment went to Nam and died for their country. "Senator's sons" never did, nor did rich man's kids. (Trump)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies