Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:44 AM

93 posts, read 77,655 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/to-kill...s-lesson-plan/

People of color are more than "uncomfortable" living with racism every day. Those of us who are white can cope with the trauma of reading a book about it, and it SHOULD make us uncomfortable because we are still repeating the same horrible atrocities in 2017. Unarmed black people are being murdered by police, neo-Nazis are marching in the streets, and our “president” is a white supremacist apologist.

We’re supposed to be more than uncomfortable with racism. It should make us sick. It is one of the greatest crimes against humanity. People would know that if we actually read and studied and discussed books like “To Kill a Mockingbird” not to mention modern books that deal with the issue like Ta-Nehisi Coates’s “Between the World and Me.” That is how we learn and grow. Sometimes awareness has to hurt so we can make changes. We are in the second era of the civil rights movement because we didn’t do enough to teach about the first one. Suppressing education is irresponsible and dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,948,281 times
"To Kill a Mockingbird" was banned because it contains the "N-word"... exactly who do you suppose was "uncomfortable"?

Old 10-15-2017, 10:05 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
I didn't feel uncomfortable, then again I wasn't brainwashed with the current social science nonsense.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:16 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I didn't feel uncomfortable, then again I wasn't brainwashed with the current social science nonsense.
I read it also, and didn't feel uncomfortable. It was a product of its era. Why re-write history?

Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,099 times
It's the discriminatory laws against whites (affirmative action) that should be making people uncomfortable. But equality isn't what the movement was all about. It's about revenge against whites for what (a small % of) their distant ancestors MAY have done.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:46 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
"To Kill a Mockingbird" was banned because it contains the "N-word"... exactly who do you suppose was "uncomfortable"?
precisely.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:00 AM

5,112 posts, read 2,054,389 times
Styxhexenhammer666 posted a vlog about "To Kill a Mockingbird".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_cGX2ddmA

Old 10-15-2017, 11:04 AM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
You know, I totally agree with what you say, but what later occurred to me was: Considering this is junior high, is it possibly inappropriate to have a book that was intended for adults, where a rape is a central part of the plot?

Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
You know, I totally agree with what you say, but what later occurred to me was: Considering this is junior high, is it possibly inappropriate to have a book that was intended for adults, where a rape is a central part of the plot?
The complaints were over language...not themes/plots.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:25 AM

93 posts, read 77,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I suspect it is mostly white people who are trying to make themselves feel better by pretending to protect black people from hearing the N word. I can't speak for black people but the black people I've spoken to about it feel like banning it is patronizing. They hear the N word every day. Reading about it in this context in classic literature is not the problem--living with systemic racism is. That is the point of the book. People who've read it know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies